• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

UPS and USPS rates both incorrect......

Sid04

I just installed the USPS module and it is "working" fine.

I got to checking on the rates though, and they are different then the USPS website. The "express mail" option is always 100% the same between my shopping cart and the USPS site, but priority mail and parcel post are both lower cost on my cart then on USPS's site.

So then I checked UPS(never actually done that before), and UPS is pretty far off too. On a 36lb package, the next day air saver is about $70 lower on my website. This is very bad for the obvious reasons.

Im running 2.2-MS2. Is there some updated rate files that I need for these shipping modules or.......?? Thanks for any help. :blink:

I'm having the same problem with UPS.

I did see that there is a Tare Weight, which is a minimum package weight that can be set in Admin>Configuration>Shipping/Packaging.

For the UPS shipping module, is the pricing pulled from UPS? Is there a way to increase the UPS by a percentage, similar to the larger packages setting? I've also added $2.00 Shipping and handeling charge, but it doesn't help if someone decides to order 10 items. When the weight gets higher the extra Tare Weight & S&H charges don't cover the difference.

Pete

Both UPS and USPS Rates are pulled directly from the respective company's rate servers, so there are no rate files that you need to be concerned with.

For checking cart rates against the respective shipper's website, set both tare weight and percent increase in your Admin to "0" and be sure that your products have a weight assigned. Check to be certain that you store location is properly set in the Admin area, both in Configuration->My Store and in Configuration->Shipping/Packaging. Also be mindful of the various options that exist for package type, pickup type, customer classification, etc. that exist in both the osC module and on the shippers' websites.

If the various options are matched properly, you should be able to pull identical rates from the shopping cart and the shippers' websites. One note: the stock UPS modules which uses a deprecated HTML request method, may not figure some rate surcharges accurately (such as $X per package for ZIP codes that are considered "rural" areas). I believe that the UPSXML contribution corrects this shortcoming.

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

try being a Foster Parent!

upon checkout, both usps and ups are ADDING 2.0 LBS to the weight i've set up in my product info pages in admin. i have working usps and ups accounts.

for instance, i sell cd's and i have weight set at .2 lbs. however, in checkout, usps and ups rates are calculated at 2.2 lbs - and the shipping price reflects that.

can anyone pinpoint where i need to change what so that the shipping charges only reflect the weight of the product?...maybe more specifically where to set the 'tare weight' and also, do i need to get into my shipping tables...if so, where are they located?

thanks,

andrea

-----

and here's some more info...

here is my admin info for ups:

"Enable UPS Shipping

True

UPS Pickup Method

CC

UPS Packaging?

ULE

Residential Delivery?

RES

Handling Fee

Tax Class

--none--

Shipping Zone

--none--

Sort order of display.

2"

here is my admin info for usps:

"Enable USPS Shipping

True

Enter the USPS User ID

Enter the USPS Password

Which server to use

production

Handling Fee

Tax Class

--none--

Shipping Zone

--none--

Sort Order

1"

Both UPS and USPS Rates are pulled directly from the respective company's rate servers, so there are no rate files that you need to be concerned with.

For checking cart rates against the respective shipper's website, set both tare weight and percent increase in your Admin to "0" and be sure that your products have a weight assigned. Check to be certain that you store location is properly set in the Admin area, both in Configuration->My Store and in Configuration->Shipping/Packaging. Also be mindful of the various options that exist for package type, pickup type, customer classification, etc. that exist in both the osC module and on the shippers' websites.

If the various options are matched properly, you should be able to pull identical rates from the shopping cart and the shippers' websites. One note: the stock UPS modules which uses a deprecated HTML request method, may not figure some rate surcharges accurately (such as $X per package for ZIP codes that are considered "rural" areas). I believe that the UPSXML contribution corrects this shortcoming.

I dont think zero'ing my tare weight would help......since im using the weight that is displayed during the checkout procedure which incorporates the tare weight. I tried mathcing all values exactly on both UPS and USPS, and nothing turns out the same EXCEPT the most expensive USPS option(express mail i think it is).

More info on teh UPSXML contribution please? Easy to install or a massive pain? Thanks..........and thanks for anybody with ideas for the USPS issue. Anybody know if theres a multiplier somewhere that I can manually change to match up the values?

I repeat...

after you do your checking, you can set the tare weight and % increase to whatever you want. When testing with these both set to "0" as long as you're using matching parameters and the same ZIP code information, the results should be the same from osC as they are from the shipper's website (except for the situation I mentioned in the last part of my earlier post).

I have tested both of these MANY TIMES between my cart and the shipper's interface and have always managed to get EXACT matches.

Edited by mugitty

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

try being a Foster Parent!

To andrea,

Set the packaging weight from 2 lbs to 0 in

admin->configuration->shipping packaging->package tare weight

HTH

Tom

thank you so much. that was so straight-forward and clear. it worked!

and, mugitty, thank you for the info on the shipping costs matching exactly - that is extremely useful information!

andrea

mugitty- like I said, the tare weight doesnt effect anything. Im comparing the prices using the weight as shown on the checkout page, which INCLUDES the tare weight. I get the same mixed results if I use my normal tare weight or if I dont, it makes no difference.

I did find my USPS "problem". I thought that I was logged into a different test account which had a different zip code. So basically, I was comparing rates from my site to rates on the shippers sites using different zip codes. USPS now matches exactly, UPS does not. I will try out the UPS XML contribution and see how that goes.

• 2 weeks later...
mugitty- like I said, the tare weight doesnt effect anything. Im comparing the prices using the weight as shown on the checkout page, which INCLUDES the tare weight. I get the same mixed results if I use my normal tare weight or if I dont, it makes no difference.

I did find my USPS "problem". I thought that I was logged into a different test account which had a different zip code. So basically, I was comparing rates from my site to rates on the shippers sites using different zip codes. USPS now matches exactly, UPS does not. I will try out the UPS XML contribution and see how that goes.

Has anyone solved this? I just got a call. The client says the ups shipping rates are not correct. I am using the ups.php v 1.54

Is there a newer version?

I have my tare set to 0 and %increase set to 1

• 2 months later...
Has anyone solved this? I just got a call. The client says the ups shipping rates are not correct. I am using the ups.php v 1.54

Is there a newer version?

I have my tare set to 0 and %increase set to 1

My UPS rates are off. I checked the rates at ups.com and the problem seems to be that OSC is pulling the UPS base rate instead of the base rate + Delivery Area Surcharge. I have no idea how to fix the issue, but the rate is off by as much as $2 a pound.

My UPS rates are off.  I checked the rates at ups.com and the problem seems to be that OSC is pulling the UPS base rate instead of the base rate + Delivery Area Surcharge.  I have no idea how to fix the issue, but the rate is off by as much as $2 a pound.

My UPS rates were way off too. Found the contribution to fix the delivery surcharge which osC was not including.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2707/

After installing it the rates are still off by cents. At least i am not taking the beating in $.

Another thing to note is that UPS charges that osC would pick up are their internet rates meaning if you have an account with UPS online. If you go to a physical UPS store they may not give you the same rate. It would be usually higher, after all they are franchises and they have to make money somewhere, so they manipulate the delivery surcharges.

Hope this helps.

Nafisa

nafees elements

Nafisa