• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

which payment gateway shall I choose

xiexie

Fees for an merchant account an Authorize.net payment gateway are typically as follows.

-No money down, or up front

-$30 monthly fee includes virtual terminal statemetn fee, and all other monthly type fees for both merchant account and gateway

- 2.25% of each transaction

- $0.30 per transaction (I've seen as low as $0.19)

It doesn't take much processing volume to be less expensive than 2checkout.

I'd start by contacting one of the official auth.net resellers, which are found here...

http://www.authorize.net/solutions/merchan...ellerdirectory/

Edited by wizardsandwars

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some tips....

US:

Authorize.net

Verisign Payflow pro

Linkpoint

UK:

Protx Direct

HSBC

Velocity Pay Direct

Europe:

Metacharge

World:

Worldpay

Paypal

Stormpay

Chronopay

merchantboss

Asia:

Thaiepay

Payment Express (DPS)

And so many more....just do a google search or just look through the payment modules in the contribution section.

Thank you for the reply wizardsandwars. I was kind of confused as to the best way to start out.

I have to talk to a local rep instead of just dealing directly with them?

Are fees the same from the different resellers?

Right now, I only use paypal, but it looks like just one or two of my lost sales per month may make up for the monthly fees.

Fees will vary from reseller to reseller.

Any of the resellers on that list can set you up in short order.

Watch out for any that try to charge you a one time 'set up fee'. The gateway set up should be free.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Fees will vary from reseller to reseller.

Any of the resellers on that list can set you up in short order.

Watch out for any that try to charge you a one time 'set up fee'. The gateway set up should be free.

A setup fee can be ok too, always check it against the running cost/monthly fees.

Lets take authorize.net as an example, yes you can get it with free setup from some resellers but then you get a higher monthly fee.

This will in turn lead to a short term win, but if you use the service over a prolonged periode it will be more expensive if you choose the no setup fee option....

So read all the fine print and consider the total package before making your final choice...

I agree that you should read the fine print, however, having no set up fee doesn't always mean you'll pay higher monthly fees.

Almost all of the resellers on the list I provided have the same monthly rates, however, some of them have no set up fee, some of them charge $100, and other even charge as much as $200 for setup. But they rarely vary more than $5 in monthly rates.

I agree that you should read the fine print, however, having no set up fee doesn't always mean you'll pay higher monthly fees.

Almost all of the resellers on the list I provided have the same monthly rates, however, some of them have no set up fee, some of them charge $100, and other even charge as much as $200 for setup. But they rarely vary more than $5 in monthly rates.

You can get the montly for about 10us , this means a save of 20us every month when compared to your initially mentioned 30us.

Then 12 months would make this a save of 240us , 24 months a save of 480us and so on......

:D :lol: :D

Please disregard my last replay, a case of not reading the fine print closly enough...... :D :lol: :D

But then again, this demonstartes the importance of reading the fine print.... :lol: :D :lol:

Edited by Jumping Rabbit

yeah, in the $30, I was including all monthly fees for the merchant account and the geteway. I've seen it as low as $25, but never lower than that for everything. $10 would be impressive.

One of my favorites is http://www.mbankcard.com (no affiliation)

Yeah, the $17.90 one sounds good, but I have a feeling there's a $10 statement fee, or a 10 gateway fee that they aren't telling you about there.

They are almost always $25-$30 per month, when all is said and done. But if you find one for $17, that's awesome.

Edited by wizardsandwars

I just looked through the whole list of national re-sellers, and the cheapest I found was:

Merchant Plus $17.90/mo 2.29%+$0.30 No Setup

Sound good?

I just called them, and there is also a minimum $25/mo fee, but I pay three times that to paypal already.

So I guess if you don't have any transactions, your monthly fee would be $42.90.

I just called them, and there is also a minimum $25/mo fee, but I pay three times that to paypal already.

So I guess if you don't have any transactions, your monthly fee would be $42.90.

Yeah, check for Gateway Fees, Customer Service fees, etc. Trust me, they are all in there somewhere.

All in all ... forget garbage like iKobo or Money Bookers or e-Gold.  Come on!  If you want to hit the general masses ... go with PayPal, accept money orders and checks, Qchex.com and a good credit card processor.

However, people like using the debit/credit cards without paypal. I have had carts abandoned when buyers went to paypal. - (even though they did not have to register) Go figure.

The key is in the re-direct. most customers simply do not like to be re-directed to a new website to make payment.

If paypal ever developed a gateway, they'd make a fortune, and put every other merchant account and payment gateway out of business.

Edited by wizardsandwars

The key is in the re-direct. most customers simply do not like to be re-directed to a new website to make payment.

If paypal ever developed a gateway, they'd make a fortune, and put every other merchant account and payment gateway out of business.

I second that statement..if not out of business, atleast the other would have to reduce their rates considerably to compete.