• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

? instead of ?

CarpBaitMan

Hi, first post so be gently with me :D

I have recently had to move my shop to a new server and all is fine expect that when I type ? in a description (or any 'text' area that is on the shop) I then get a ? on the site. What is going on. The currency options are all set up and working fine and my shopping basket still shows the ? sign. Its just the rest of the site that shows a ? sign.

I think that the ? is shift 3 on US keyboards which is what we brits type for the ? sign. Could it be a US keymap stuck someplace?

Regards,

Peter

Just a guess, but the fault may be in in the server (Apache ?). The server will be configured to specify the character encoding of the html that it returns to the client browser. Maybe this is set to US ASCII (ISO-8859-1 ?) rather than ISO-8859-15.

Try bringing up a page in your browser, and then viewing the html source code. Near the top you should find the encoding specified in the html <head> section (at least I *THINK* this is where you will find it)

If this is US ACSII then therein might be your problem, in which case if you can't override it then complain to your host. You might me able to override it in a .htaccess file (yuk !)

This could be rubbish of course - is the encoding specified by OSC ? Not sure - don't have the code in front of me.

Rich.

Thanks for the hints, we found it in the setup on the Apache server. Changed the charset there and all is well :D

Just a guess, but the fault may be in in the server (Apache ?). The server will be configured to specify the character encoding of the html that it returns to the client browser. Maybe this is set to US ASCII (ISO-8859-1 ?) rather than ISO-8859-15.

Try bringing up a page in your browser, and then viewing the html source code. Near the top you should find the encoding specified in the html <head> section (at least I *THINK* this is where you will find it)

If this is US ACSII then therein might be your problem, in which case if you can't override it then complain to your host. You might me able to override it in a .htaccess file (yuk !)

This could be rubbish of course - is the encoding specified by OSC ? Not sure - don't have the code in front of me.

Rich.

Archived