• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is it possible to 'resubmit' an order to PayPal?

jkarnes

Over the weekend PayPal was having a ton of problems and it completely demolished my orders for Sat-Mon. I've got about 30 orders sitting in 'Processing' in my cart and no IPN results or payments in PayPal for those dates (particularly Monday the 11th - I have 0 completed orders for that day and 12 attempts). However, things seem to be working okay today.

Is there any way for me to 'resubmit' these orders from my cart to PayPal for processing or am I just going to have to email each customer individually and try to resolve it one-on-one? I just figured I would ask before I got all involved in that.

you would be better off to email or call each customer, because if they now dont want the product and you process the orders you could be out the money.

just do a nice letter and blame it on paypal, which is the truth

Acutally, it's probably not legal to resubmit the order to paypal. It certainly wouldn't be eithical.

If you go to the store to buy something, and your credit card is declined and you leave without completing the purchase, do you think that store has the right to go ahead and put the order through again later, without your consent?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

If you go to the store to buy something, and your credit card is declined and you leave without completing the purchase, do you think that store has the right to go ahead and put the order through again later, without your consent?

Actually, the way I see it it's like taking a credit card order and running the credit card at a later date. In this case, a day or two later. No different than how a restaurant does tip adjustments on credit cards, for example.

These orders were not declined, the PayPal site was flat out non-functional and thus they never made it there in the first place. There is no IPN information at all, no record of the order for anything having to do with PayPal - they're just sitting in my cart because OsCommerce thinks they've been paid for and are awaiting approval from PayPal since the transaction "left" my checkout.

I'm already in the process of contacting each customer one-by-one regarding their orders, but if anyone has any input, feel free to share. Also, did anyone else suffer a similar fate this weekend? There were notices all over the PayPal site as well as eBay about the ordeal.

Right but the customer thinks that the transaction has failed, and has moved on. As far as they know, the order is cancelled.

Lets change my hypothetical situation.

If you go to the store to buy something, and the store you try to buy to from is having technical issues, and is unable to complete your transaction. So, you leave. If you really want it bad, you probably go elsewhere to get it. How happy would you be to find out after the fact that the first store fixed their problem, and went ahead and charged your card without letting you know first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Your hypothetical situation makes complete sense. My concern is the idea of having to inconvenience those customers by asking them if they might wish to revisit the site and completely repurchase those products as opposed to gaining authorization to simply re-submit that order for verification if they are still interested.

After further thought it appears to be completely impossible anyway since the PayPal checkout page is solely responsible for that payment information. If I have no IPN data there's zilch to reference other than a hollow order sitting in my cart.

If you really wanted to 'push the envelope', I suppose you could send each of the customers that encountered the problem a 'paypal payment request'. In the request, you could explain what happened, and tell them that they are not obligated to complete the purchase, but you thought you offer them the convenience of making completion of their sale easy by sending them the payment request. You could explain what happened in there.

Then if you get the payment, you can just update the order status to pending. If not, you will know they would rather keep it cancelled.

• 5 years later...

If you really wanted to 'push the envelope', I suppose you could send each of the customers that encountered the problem a 'paypal payment request'. In the request, you could explain what happened, and tell them that they are not obligated to complete the purchase, but you thought you offer them the convenience of making completion of their sale easy by sending them the payment request. You could explain what happened in there.

Then if you get the payment, you can just update the order status to pending. If not, you will know they would rather keep it cancelled.

Wizardsandwars, what if the customer calls back and wishes to make a slight adjustment to a very detailed order and there isn't time to reorder everything originally????