• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newsletter & Subscribtion for MS2

Gyakutsuki

hello,

There you found the new newsletter for MS2.

Now it work fine.

The beta version is created because i haven't been success to resolve problems.

1 - When you send a newsletter subscriber, the status sent is not updated

2- When you send a newsletter with a sheet (you have an example to test ==> test_newsletter.txt), you have

a big problem when you receive the newsletter. Several <p> are created between the <table>.

I don't kown why, but this is problem of oscommerce.

I try to search the problem (see html_output or mime.php), i haven't success to solve it. The problem is not the newsletter but this is in oscommerce code source.

Do you have a solution for that ?

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,535

Thank you.

Edited by Gyakutsuki

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gyakutsuki,

At the bottom of the newsletters when it tried this contribution, the link for unsubscribing pointed to 'unsubscribe.php'

I thought I had mad a mistake during the install, but after checking the archive, there is no 'unsubscribe.php'.

As the link for this, is in the language files, what is the best way of re writing it to point to the 'subscription centre', so a recipient can unsubscribe?

Line 32

define('CLOSING_BLOCK3', "\n\n" . 'or unsubscribe at:' . HTTP_SERVER . DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'unsubscribe.php?action=view&email=');

is it just change 'unsubscribe.php' to ''subscription_centre.php' ?

Thanks

Andy

Literally, Laterally Thinking! If you cannot get through it, go round it.

Hi all,

I installed the contribution, everything seems to look ok on the front-end. But I get this error at the admin:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_admin_check_boxes() in /home/www/mysite/admin/includes/column_left.php on line 19

Does anyone know what this error is about? Where I can correct it? :blink:

Cause Admin_level_acces

In admin/includes/column-left.php

Replace

?if (tep_admin_check_boxes('newsletters.php') == true) {
? ?require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'newsletters.php'); ?
?}

by

? ?  require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'newsletters.php');

After in admin/includes/boxes/newsletters.php

Replace

// ? ? ? ? ? '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_SUBSCRIBERS, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_NEWSLETTER_ADMIN . '</a><br>' .
// ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_EXTRA_DEFAULT, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_NEWSLETTER_EXTRA_DEFAULT . '</a><br>' .
// ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_EXTRA_INFOS, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_NEWSLETTER_EXTRA_INFOS . '</a><br>' .
// ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_UPDATE, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_NEWSLETTER_UPDATE . '</a><br>' .
// ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_SUBSCRIBERS_VIEW, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_NEWSLETTER_SUBSCRIBERS_VIEW . '</a>' ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

? ? ? ? ?
? ?tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_SUBSCRIBERS, BOX_NEWSLETTER_ADMIN) .
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS, BOX_CUSTOMERS_NEWSLETTER_MANAGER) .

? ?tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_EXTRA_DEFAULT, BOX_NEWSLETTER_EXTRA_DEFAULT). ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ?tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_EXTRA_INFOS, BOX_NEWSLETTER_EXTRA_INFOS) .
? ?tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_UPDATE, BOX_NEWSLETTER_UPDATE) ?. ? ? ? ? 
? ?tep_admin_files_boxes(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_SUBSCRIBERS_VIEW, BOX_NEWSLETTER_SUBSCRIBERS_VIEW) 
);
//Admin end
?}

by

? ? ? ? ? '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_SUBSCRIBERS, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_NEWSLETTER_ADMIN . '</a><br>' .
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_EXTRA_DEFAULT, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_NEWSLETTER_EXTRA_DEFAULT . '</a><br>' .
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_EXTRA_INFOS, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_NEWSLETTER_EXTRA_INFOS . '</a><br>' .
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_UPDATE, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_NEWSLETTER_UPDATE . '</a><br>' .
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_SUBSCRIBERS_VIEW, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_NEWSLETTER_SUBSCRIBERS_VIEW . '</a>'); ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
?}

Edited by oneill

Does anyone have this working? I tried to install the latest one and have had nothing but problems. The admin works fine I think, but the user end I get nothing but errors. On subscribe.php I get a parse error on line 21, on unsubscribe.php, there is no lanugage file... Also in the install.tx it says that some lines on application_top need to be added. Where are these lines???

-Dennis

Edited by dblake

Bonjour Loic and everyone else contributing on this great module,

I`ve installed your version "newsletter_subscribers_v041" and it works fine

Even on a heavily modified OSC-Shop! Thanks for your great work.

There is one important question I have concerning the update of subscribers in the newsletter admin section. It seems this isn`t bidirectional.

After updating the subcribers table the newsletter status in the customers table is imported to the subscription table. The customer can then easily unsubscribe using the appropriate E-Mail Link

This means his status is deleted in the subscription table but unfortunately not in the customers table. He is still subscribed in the customers table.

The next time I update the subscribers table the customers status is updated to "subscribed' (although he previously unsubscribed).

Do you have an idea how the newsletter status can be changed to "Zero" in the customers table and in the subscription table when a customer unsubscribes?

Or perhaps there is a way of updating the customers table with the subscription status in the newsletter table?

Thanks for your comments in advance!

There is one important question I have concerning the update of subscribers in the newsletter admin section. It seems this isn`t bidirectional.

yes it's not birirectionnal and it 's not possible to insert an anonymous in members client (logical), you need several fields.

You can upload the v0.42. I developped this contribution with the french law and optimize the files.

When a members or an anonymous subsriber want to unsubscribe, this account is deleted but not deleted in members. This latest can receive a members newsletter.

regards

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

Thanks for your reply.

I noticed that when I add an unsubscribe url to the footer of a subscribers newsletter the subscribers E-Mail is added after "=". This is great!

Now, when I send the newsletter in html the unsubscribe url is added but it is not in html-format. So the recipient can?t just click on it to unsubscribe. However if I send the newsletter in text- format the unsubscribe url is sent in html and is a clickable Link. I haven`t found a way to overcome this problem as I want to send

my subscribers newsletter in html format. Perhaps you have a suggestion?

While I looked for a solution with trial and error (I am no php-coder unfortunately)

I found out a way to allow the status sent for newsletters_subscribers to work in the admin panel:

In admin/newsletters_subscribers.php I replaced the following code around line 324:

// $newsletter_query = tep_db_query("select newsletters_id, title, content, module from " . TABLE_NEWSLETTERS . " where newsletters_id = '" (int)$nID . "' and module = 'newsletter_subscribers'");

$newsletter_query = tep_db_query("select p.title, p.content, p.module, q.header, q.footer, q.unsubscribea, q.unsubscribeb from " . TABLE_NEWSLETTERS . " p, " . TABLE_SUBSCRIBERS_INFOS . " q where p.newsletters_id = '" . (int)$nID . "' and p.newsletters_id = q.newsletters_id and module = 'newsletter_subscribers'");

$newsletter = tep_db_fetch_array($newsletter_query);

with:

$newsletter_query = tep_db_query("select newsletters_id, title, content, module from " . TABLE_NEWSLETTERS . " where newsletters_id = '" . (int)$nID . "'");

$newsletter = tep_db_fetch_array($newsletter_query);

The downside of this is that you can`t send any personalized header or footer (e.g. unsubscribe link) information. So what I did is add an unsubscribe link in my newsletter which leads to catalog/subscription_center.php of the old contribution. There the user can change his/her subscription status.

This is obviously no ideal solution. I`m sure you have a better idea?

Somewhere in the forums I read that if you remove all spaces in your newsletter html code (i.e. with a code scrambler) the layout of the newsletter should be perfect when opened by the recipient.

Hello,

I have installed this contribusion and it works fine until i should send an newsletter.

On the that appears after sending, it stand Customers receiving newsletter: 1

But when i go out to the newsletter manager frontpage where i can see all the newsletter, the sent column stands as an x for not sent. Do somebody now why?

My customers doesn't receive any newsletter :wall:

What can be wrong, i have tried to install the contribusion again and again.. :'(

Hi Bongo,

check if you sent the newsletter with the newsletter subcribers module or

with the newsletter_module. If you use the latter then a newsletter is sent to all customers who wish to receive the newsletter (i.e. on creating account, in account history etc.). It is not sent to subscribers who wish to receive newsletters when entering their name and email on homepage. The status sent should work with the newsletter module.

If you wish to send a newsletter to both customers and subscribers then use the newsletter_subscribers module. You must update your subscribers table in the newsletter admin panel first though. The status sent doesn`t work with with newsletter_subscribers module.

If you wish to send a newsletter only to subscribers then do not update the subscribers table.

Now I don`t want to confuse you but to be on the safe side I`ll mention what I do when sending a newsletter:

I send the same newsletter twice but each person only gets one. I send it with the newsletter_module to customers with an unsubscribe link that updates the customers table and I send it to subscribers with the subscribers_module with an unsubscribe link that updates the subscribers table. I do not update the subscribers table via admin (removed the buttona and link). Now everyone gets a newsletter with the correct unsubscribe link.

I know it sounds confusing but this works for me. Unfortunately the update subscribers table method does not update the customers table. If it would then things would be alot easier.

Hope this helped!

Hope that helps!

Thanks its sems to work now, but now i get this message before i press send on newsletter manager:

Warning: Missing argument 3 for newsletter_subscribers() in /customers/tborge.dk/tborge.dk/httpd.www/os/catalog/admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php on line 16

Warning: Missing argument 4 for newsletter_subscribers() in /customers/tborge.dk/tborge.dk/httpd.www/os/catalog/admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php on line 16

Warning: Missing argument 5 for newsletter_subscribers() in /customers/tborge.dk/tborge.dk/httpd.www/os/catalog/admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php on line 16

Warning: Missing argument 6 for newsletter_subscribers() in /customers/tborge.dk/tborge.dk/httpd.www/os/catalog/admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php on line 16

After pressing send i get this message:

Warning: reset(): Passed variable is not an array or object in /customers/tborge.dk/tborge.dk/httpd.www/os/catalog/admin/includes/classes/object_info.php on line 17

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in /customers/tborge.dk/tborge.dk/httpd.www/os/catalog/admin/includes/classes/object_info.php on line 18

Warning: main(includes/languages/english/modules/newsletters/.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /customers/tborge.dk/tborge.dk/httpd.www/os/catalog/admin/newsletters_subscribers.php on line 330

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'includes/languages/english/modules/newsletters/.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php/PEAR') in /customers/tborge.dk/tborge.dk/httpd.www/os/catalog/admin/newsletters_subscribers.php on line 330

Warning: main(includes/modules/newsletters/.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /customers/tborge.dk/tborge.dk/httpd.www/os/catalog/admin/newsletters_subscribers.php on line 331

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'includes/modules/newsletters/.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php/PEAR') in /customers/tborge.dk/tborge.dk/httpd.www/os/catalog/admin/newsletters_subscribers.php on line 331

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: in /customers/tborge.dk/tborge.dk/httpd.www/os/catalog/admin/newsletters_subscribers.php on line 335

Whats is wrong now?

regards

Thomas

Hey Bongo,

it seems you are running into the same problems as I had at the beginning.

This is just a guess. Check if all of the subscribers have a "Last name". The field last name should not be blank. Which means if someone subscribes on the main page with his/her E-Mail Address and forgets to enter a name you will have to amend this manually. Just type it in the admin area.

Second of all, check that every subscribers newsletter you define also has a header/footer assigned to it (you can check this via the newsletter ID). I would not delete header/footers in the admin panel. You will notice when adding a new subscribers newsletter, adjacently a new footer/header is added.

That should solve your problem.

To be honest this newsletter module is way from being perfect but it`s great

that Loic is improving it i.e. adding html functionality, unsubscribe Link etc.

So many thanks go to him!

Thnaks for the fast answer, i have now tried that. I have made an new Header/Footer infos for newsletter but i still get the warnings about Missing argument. Is it something special i have to write? I have tried to use the standard text but that doesn't work either.

HELP ME :'(

Thnaks for the fast answer, i have now tried that. I have made an new Header/Footer infos for newsletter but i still get the warnings about Missing argument. Is it something special i have to write? I have tried to use the standard text but that doesn't work either.

HELP ME  :'(

There are two menues in the newsletters admin panel to define footer/header. The first is called Standard Newsletter I think. Make modifications in the one below that. I have german version called "Kopf und Fuss Infos" (check in url that it is newsletters_extra_infos.php and not newsletter_extra_default.php).

I would try the following:

1. Click on Newsletter Manager.

2. Click on add new newsletter.

3. At the top select as module "newsletter_subscribers". Enter a titel and a text and a pic below that, then click save.

4. Then lock the newsletter and click on preview. Click on "Kopf und Fuss Infos" or what it is called in english. I presume Header/Footer.

5. Now click on "New news item". At top you see Newsletter Id with dropdown menu next to that. Select from drop-down-menu the titel of the newsletter you defined. Write some text or an url in unsubscribe field 1. Then save.

6. Now send the newsletter from the newsletter manager. Don`t forget that you are sending a subscribers_newsletter.

The errors shouldn`t occur when you send a normal newsletter.You will also see that the status newsletter sent works for the newsletter module. It doesn`t work for newsletter'_subscribers but you can still send it with module newsletter_subscriber.

Hi everyone. This contribution is great for what it does, but I'm having a number of problems with it.

First off, do I need to install a separate WYSIWIG contribution to make formatting work? Currently, it will not produce line breaks in the received email unless I manually type HTML code for a paragraph break. This isn't going to be easy for the store manager to remember.

I'm also getting this chunk of errors, which Bongo also mentioned:

Warning: Missing argument 3 for newsletter_subscribers() in .../admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php on line 16

Warning: Missing argument 4 for newsletter_subscribers() in .../admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php on line 16

Warning: Missing argument 5 for newsletter_subscribers() in .../admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php on line 16

Warning: Missing argument 6 for newsletter_subscribers() in .../admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php on line 16

I dug around in the admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php file, but my PHP skills aren't sharp enough to clean up the problem.

Can anyone help further with this one?

I did notice, however, that it proceeds to send anyway and doesn't get any more errrors after that (Bongo, you said you had errors on the next page to).

ALSO, I don't get those errors when I send the newsletter through the original form (not to subscribers).

I'm also having a nice series of problems with the catalog-side administration, due to some missing files (subscription_center.php, and all of the four unsubscribe english files that are referenced elsewhere). The installation instructions seem to be cut off, too.

I'd like to help clean up this release, so that the next people who download it won't run into these problems. I'm not really sure where to begin, though. Can someone help me understand these missing pieces?

First you decide what you've got to do, and then you go out and do it.

Maybe the most that we can do is just see each other through it.

Ani Difranco

Hi Autum,

I`m pretty sure that this contributions derives from the following:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...arch,newsletter

There you will also find the subscription_center.php.

Did you try my recommendations to Bongo yet? I ran in the same problems as both of you.

This module is a good start but I find it unlogical because it works with two modules. If the subscribers table, update etc. could be adapted to the newsletter module so that people who subscribe from the homepage are added to the customers newsletter table (instead of subscribers table), then it would be perfect. Note this is no criticism. I`m happy that so much effort has been put in this module.

Hi Soren,

Thanks for the reply. I'm still trying to troubleshoot as we speak.

Yes, I did try your recommendations. Without attaching the header/footer it definitely gives some extra errors. Otherwise, though, my test subscription accounts have both first and last names included. Still have those errors.

Looking around more, it looks like it may be related to these references (disclaimer: I'm a PHP novice. Just say so if I'm way off).

admin/newsletters.php: (around lines 252-254)

include(DIR_WS_MODULES . 'newsletters/' . $nInfo->module . substr($PHP_SELF, strrpos($PHP_SELF, '.')));
   $module_name = $nInfo->module;
   $module = new $module_name($nInfo->title, $nInfo->content);

Here it looks like we call up the proper module, whether it be modules/newsletters/newsletter.php or modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php, and we send it two variables: title and content.

In the original code, modules/newsletters/newsletter.php receives those variables here: (around lines 13-20)

class newsletter {
   var $show_choose_audience, $title, $content;

function newsletter($title, $content) {
     $this->show_choose_audience = false;
     $this->title = $title;
     $this->content = $content;
   }

And it works without error. But when we add in modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php, we expect more variables: (around lines 13-24)

class newsletter_subscribers {
   var $show_choose_audience, $header, $title, $contenta, $unsubscribea, $unsubscribeb, $footer;

function newsletter_subscribers($header, $title, $contenta, $unsubscribea, $unsubscribeb, $footer) {
     $this->show_choose_audience = false;
     $this->header = $header;
     $this->title = $title;
     $this->contenta = $contenta;
     $this->unsubscribea = $unsubscribea;
     $this->unsubscribeb = $unsubscribeb;
     $this->footer = $footer;      
   }

Seems like a good reason for this error to me. I don't know how to fix it though. Does this make sense to anyone else?

I'm also still battling the WYSIWYG issue. It looks like I'm sending emails in HTML format, but I'm trying to just send them in plain text. I see no WYSIWIG box or instructions anywhere. Anyone know how I can get to plain text?

Ani Difranco

I'm also still battling the WYSIWYG issue. It looks like I'm sending emails in HTML format, but I'm trying to just send them in plain text. I see no WYSIWIG box or instructions anywhere. Anyone know how I can get to plain text?

Hey sorry I can`t help with the other stuff, I still need to take a crash course in PHP.

You need the following contribution:

MS2 HTML WYSIWYG Editor, Product Desc, Email +Newsletter

in order of switching html on and off in the admin.

I recommend implementing this, it is absolutely great:

UltraPics and HTML Editor + More...

I downloaded the most recent contribution and used a few files from there. I got rid of the WYSIWIG issue by using their admin/mails.php. It just transferred back to plain text. All better.

Ani Difranco

Hi Autum,

There you will also find the subscription_center.php.

Did you try my recommendations to Bongo yet? I ran in the same problems as both of you.

This module is a good start but I find it unlogical because it works with two modules. If the subscribers table, update etc. could be adapted to the newsletter module so that people who subscribe from the homepage are added to the customers newsletter table  (instead of subscribers table), then it would be perfect. Note this is no criticism. I`m happy that so much effort has been put in this module.

I tried this contribusion now and this one works fine, it sends the mail to eeryone and no errors accured.

But i have one problem that is the most important thing here. When i send an html newsletter to the customers that have chosen to see it in html they just get the raw code.

I have set the configuration in admin panel to use mime html when sending mails

Is it anybody that has made this contribusion work?

regards

thomas

I tried this contribusion now and this one works fine, it sends the mail to eeryone and no errors accured.

But i have one problem that is the most important thing here. When i send an html newsletter to the customers that have chosen to see it in html they just get the raw code.

I have set the configuration in admin panel to use mime html when sending mails

Is it anybody that has made this contribusion work?

regards

thomas

I`m not sure if that option really works. I don`t think you can split subscribers

in text-format and html-format groups. It`s either one or the other.

You could probably solve the html issue with the following:

Go in admin folder.

Admin | mail.php

Open go to line = 40

$mimemessage->add_text($message);

And change it to

$mimemessage->add_html($message);

If this doesn`t work then search for $mimemessage in admin/newsletters.php and admin/newsletter_subscriber.php

That should do the trick.

hmm i have now tried what you asked me to soeren2, but i still get the raw code in the mail.

In admin/newsletter.php and admin/newsletter_subscriber.php i didn't find any $mimemessage

I will post the code snippet in my admin/mail.php:

// MaxiDVD Added Line For WYSIWYG HTML Area: BOF (Send TEXT Email when WYSIWYG Disabled)

if (HTML_AREA_WYSIWYG_DISABLE_EMAIL == 'Disable') {

} else {

$mimemessage->add_html($message);

}

// MaxiDVD Added Line For WYSIWYG HTML Area: EOF (Send HTML Email when WYSIWYG Enabled)

$mimemessage->build_message();

while ($mail = tep_db_fetch_array($mail_query)) {

$mimemessage->send($mail['customers_firstname'] . ' ' . $mail['customers_lastname'], $mail['customers_email_address'], '', $from, $subject);

}

and this is in admin/mails.php

// MaxiDVD Added Line For WYSIWYG HTML Area: BOF (Send TEXT Email when WYSIWYG Disabled)

if (HTML_AREA_WYSIWYG_DISABLE_EMAIL == 'Disable') {

} else {

$mimemessage->add_html_newsletter($message);

}

Have you already installed the Admin Wysiweg Html Area Controller?