• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newsletter & Subscribtion for MS2

Gyakutsuki

Keith,

Thanks for picking this up and running with it. We tried to install it a while back and gave up - the all French and no instructions finally did us in. So we're about to make another go at it since you've cleaned it up.

Two questions - Can someone post a link to a site that's using this so I can see what it looks like? And the english fix mentioned a few posts ago - is that fixed in the August 6th version, or should we install Aug 6 and then also do that?

Cheers,

Adrienne

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith,

Thanks for picking this up and running with it.  We tried to install it a while back and gave up - the all French and no instructions finally did us in.  So we're about to make another go at it since you've cleaned it up.

Two questions - Can someone post a link to a site that's using this so I can see what it looks like?  And the english fix mentioned a few posts ago - is that fixed in the August 6th version, or should we install Aug 6 and then also do that?

Cheers,

Adrienne

English is fixed on everything i nthe Newest version except the post a about 4 ago, just a couple of lines to fix.

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347

Apparently I had another question. :blush:

Does this require a WYSIWYG editor? We've been avoiding using one and I believe the last time we tried to install this it appeared to require it.

Thanks. :D

Adrienne

Apparently I had another question.  :blush:

Does this require a WYSIWYG editor?  We've been avoiding using one and I believe the last time we tried to install this it appeared to require it.

Thanks.  :D

Adrienne

It is recommended however you can just remove those parts of the code if you don't want to use it.

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

hi all,

im trying to install this mod on cre loaded.

has anyone successfully done this?

im thinknig there may be conflicts....

it appears that the /catalog is correctly installed, its just the admin that dosent appear to work. the newsletter.php works, but

Newsletter Default

Header/Footer Info

Update Table

Subscribers Admin

dont work. the error says, " No Right Permission Access

Please contact your Webmaster to request

more access or if you found any problem. "

im assuming the author means "write", so i tried CHmod'ing these files to 777, to no avail.

ive hit a wall.

thoughts? thanks! :'(

• 2 weeks later...

Alright...I have got this thing installed and working, EXCEPT:

I am unable to make use of the Newsletters Default and Header/Footer Info pages. My Default page is allowing me to update, but I don't understand how/what these pages change and how I can integrate them into my newsletter...

As for my Header/Footer Info page, I see nothing but a page with no information except:

Extra Infos: 0

Am I missing something?

Can someone just give a breakdown of the functionality of each heading

Alright...I have got this thing installed and working, EXCEPT:

I am unable to make use of the Newsletters Default and Header/Footer Info pages. My Default page is allowing me to update, but I don't understand how/what these pages change and how I can integrate them into my newsletter...

As for my Header/Footer Info page, I see nothing but a page with no information except:

Extra Infos: 0

Am I missing something?

Can someone just give a breakdown of the functionality of each heading

You must have missed something in the install, the headers and footers are explained when you go to add them onto a newsletter.

You must have missed something in the install, the headers and footers are explained when you go to add them onto a newsletter.

Interesting...in my newsletters.php, there are no options to add or remove headers/footers.

I will try to re-install.

Let me know if you have any other input.

Thanks,

Nick

hey guys ia m getting this msg ( when i try to enter email address in the box )

votre courriel est trop long

i translated this and it means

your courriel is too long

dictionary.com didnt translate courriel so dont know what that means :(

can any one please tell me where to find this text

thankx

courriel loosely translated means EMAIL in French ;)

I just had a jerk try and spam my newsletter box, luckyly I was online and caught him in the act. He was making up multiple [email protected] addresses where xxxx is random characters and subscribing them. His IP is 202.164.54.253 I banned him in my .htaccess with

order allow,deny

deny from 202.164.54.253

allow from all

You all might do the same to avoid him doing this to you.

Just a heads up! :thumbsup:

Just thought of one other thing you can do to try and stop these type of guys. In your includes/boxes/newsletters.php add around line 32

intAddress=form.Email.value.indexOf("yourdomain.com");

CHANGE yourdomain.com to your domain

THEN AFTER

// **** Check for a space ****

else if (intSpace != -1)
               {
               alert("Email address cannot contain spaces.");
               form.Email.focus();
               passed = false;
               }

ADD:

// **** Check if my site address ****

else if (intAddress != -1)
               {
               alert("Invalid Email Address");
               form.Email.focus();
               passed = false;
               }

That will at least keep anyone from registering your domain address in the newsletter box! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Just thought of one other thing you can do to try and stop these type of guys. In your includes/boxes/newsletters.php add around line 32

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?intAddress=form.Email.value.indexOf("yourdomain.com");

CHANGE yourdomain.com to your domain

THEN AFTER

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?// **** Check for a space ****

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?else if (intSpace != -1)
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?{
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?alert("Email address cannot contain spaces.");
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?form.Email.focus();
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?passed = false;
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?}

ADD:

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?// **** Check if my site address ****

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?else if (intAddress != -1)
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?{
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?alert("Invalid Email Address");
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?form.Email.focus();
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?passed = false;
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?}

That will at least keep anyone from registering your domain address in the newsletter box! ;)

This will not solve the problem.However he enter domain in capital letters.Also we have to think the way,how the contact_us spam issue handles.

Also that guy may enter the domain you specified easily on disabling javascript on many browsers.

So this must be fixed in PHP only as contact spam issue do.http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3534.

I got many [email protected] emails.Please help us from this bad boys.

Thanks

I think there are 2 unnecessary lines in the file admin/includes/languages/english.php:

define('HEADING_INFOS_TITLE','Newsletter Management');
define('HEADING_TITLE','Newsletter');

These cause most sections in the osCommerce admin to get the heading "Newsletter". At least, commenting them out does not cause any errors (they are defined elsewhere when needed). For other admin pages, they are defined in the corresponding languages/english/<pagename>.php file.

Can anyone confirm?

• 2 weeks later...

I do get a error when I try sending my newsletter from admin, ~2000 subscribers.

2013 - Lost connection to MySQL server during query

update newsletters set date_sent = now(), status = '1' ehere newsletters_id= '1'

[TEP STOP]

Altough, the newsletter seems to be sent to everyone. Any ideas? :(

Hi Bongo,

check if you sent the newsletter with the newsletter subcribers module or

with the newsletter_module. If you use the latter then a newsletter is sent to all customers who wish to receive the newsletter (i.e. on creating account, in account history etc.). It is not sent to subscribers who wish to receive newsletters when entering their name and email on homepage. The status sent should work with the newsletter module.

If you wish to send a newsletter to both customers and subscribers then use the newsletter_subscribers module. You must update your subscribers table in the newsletter admin panel first though. The status sent doesn`t work with with newsletter_subscribers module.

If you wish to send a newsletter only to subscribers then do not update the subscribers table.

Now I don`t want to confuse you but to be on the safe side I`ll mention what I do when sending a newsletter:

I send the same newsletter twice but each person only gets one. I send it with the newsletter_module to customers with an unsubscribe link that updates the customers table and I send it to subscribers with the subscribers_module with an unsubscribe link that updates the subscribers table. I do not update the subscribers table via admin (removed the buttona and link). Now everyone gets a newsletter with the correct unsubscribe link.

I know it sounds confusing but this works for me. Unfortunately the update subscribers table method does not update the customers table. If it would then things would be alot easier.

Hope this helped!

Hope that helps!

could you please tell me how to do this or even better send me the files?

greetz, flo

where is the link for unsubscription added into the email text? cannot find it... would like to make it a table with orange border left and right but there is no way to do that in the admin-area..

guess i found the answer to my second question in newsletter_subscribers.php:

$mimemessage->add_html_newsletter($this->header . "\n\n" . $this->contenta . "\n\n" . $this->unsubscribea . " " . '<a href="' . HTTP_SERVER . DIR_WS_CATALOG . FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_UNSUBSCRIBE . "?action=view&email=" . $mail['subscribers_email_address'] . '">' . HTTP_SERVER . DIR_WS_CATALOG . FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS_UNSUBSCRIBE . "?action=view&email=" . $mail['subscribers_email_address'] . '</a>' . "\n\n" . $this->unsubscribeb);

just cant get it because i already installed email templates 1.1.

can you please help me include it into my admin/mail.php:

<?php
/*
?$Id: mail.php,v 1.31 2003/06/20 00:37:51 hpdl Exp $

?osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
?http://www.oscommerce.com

?Copyright (c) 2003 osCommerce

?Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

?require('includes/application_top.php');

?$action = (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['action']) ? $HTTP_GET_VARS['action'] : '');

?if ( ($action == 'send_email_to_user') && isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['customers_email_address']) && !isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['back_x']) ) {
? ?switch ($HTTP_POST_VARS['customers_email_address']) {
? ? ?case '***':
? ? ? ?$mail_query = tep_db_query("select customers_firstname, customers_lastname, customers_email_address from " . TABLE_CUSTOMERS);
? ? ? ?$mail_sent_to = TEXT_ALL_CUSTOMERS;
? ? ? ?break;
? ? ?case '**D':
? ? ? ?$mail_query = tep_db_query("select customers_firstname, customers_lastname, customers_email_address from " . TABLE_CUSTOMERS . " where customers_newsletter = '1'");
? ? ? ?$mail_sent_to = TEXT_NEWSLETTER_CUSTOMERS;
? ? ? ?break;
? ? ?default:
? ? ? ?$customers_email_address = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['customers_email_address']);

? ? ? ?$mail_query = tep_db_query("select customers_firstname, customers_lastname, customers_email_address from " . TABLE_CUSTOMERS . " where customers_email_address = '" . tep_db_input($customers_email_address) . "'");
? ? ? ?$mail_sent_to = $HTTP_POST_VARS['customers_email_address'];
? ? ? ?break;
? ?}

? ?$from = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['from']);
? ?$subject = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['subject']);
? ?$message = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['message']);

// email template 1.1 ? ?
? ?require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'email_templates.php');
? ?tep_get_email_from($from, $from_email_name, $from_email_address);
? ?while ($mail = tep_db_fetch_array($mail_query)) {
$email_text = tep_email_templates_replace_keywords($message, $mail['customers_email_address'], '');
tep_mail($mail['customers_firstname'] . ' ' . $mail['customers_lastname'], $mail['customers_email_address'], $subject, $email_text, $from_email_name, $from_email_address);
? ?}
//

? ?tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_MAIL, 'mail_sent_to=' . urlencode($mail_sent_to)));
?}

this is the code comparison by ultraedit:

codevergleich.jpg

Having the same problem as many other here...

Warning: Missing argument 3 for newsletter_subscribers() in /home/sites/site44/web/admin2/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php on line 17

Warning: Missing argument 4 for newsletter_subscribers() in /home/sites/site44/web/admin2/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php on line 17

Warning: Missing argument 5 for newsletter_subscribers() in /home/sites/site44/web/admin2/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php on line 17

Warning: Missing argument 6 for newsletter_subscribers() in /home/sites/site44/web/admin2/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php on line 17

Warning: Missing argument 7 for newsletter_subscribers() in /home/sites/site44/web/admin2/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php on line 17

The line 17 in newsletter_subscribers are:

function newsletter_subscribers($newsletters_id, $module_subscribers, $title, $header, $contenta, $unsubscribea, $unsubscribeb) {

$this->show_choose_audience = false;

$this->newsletters_id = $newsletters_id;

$this->module_subscribers = $module_subscribers;

$this->title = $title;

$this->header = $header;

$this->contenta = $contenta;

$this->unsubscribea = $unsubscribea;

$this->unsubscribeb = $unsubscribeb;

}

It misses argument 3,4,5,6,7 - that would be the $title, $header, $contenta, $unsubscribea and $unsubscribeb

I can't find anything strange, when I preview the newsletter everything seems okay and it shows the title, etc.

Would be very grateful if someone could help us out one time for all, seems like I'm not the only one with this problem?

Thanks,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

i have just installed this module, but what i cant figure out is how to create a newsletter and send it. Sorry if i am doign something very stupid but i cant figure it out.

Does it work just like the old method, if it does where do you have your newsletters? The instructions say to delete the old newsletters table, which i have done.

In my admin i have 3 sections:

Newsletter default--

For editing the header and footer of the newsletters

Update Table

Compare the table of the Members recorded on the site and the table of the anonymities having subscribed to the newsletter

Subscribers Admin

For viewing/updating subscription etc.

and from either i cant seem to see how to create/send a newsletter.

CAN anyone please spell it out for me??? I am sure that i have followed the latest install instructions to the dot...

DO i need a WYSIGWYS editor installalled?

Many thanks in advance

James

I have installed this contrib but I get the error 1146 - Table 'newsletters' doesn't exist. The directions said to delete table newsletters at the start and there is no replacement provided in the newsletter.sql that is provided. Of course theres going to be an error when my copy of admin/newsletters has 11 references to the table_newsletters and one of my first instructions are to delete that specific table. The contrib directions for admin/newsletters.php only says to Add:

// ################# Contribution Newsletter v050 ##############

// Selectionne le pied de page ? utiliser

if ($newsletter_module=='newsletter_subscribers') {

$news_id_subscriber = '1';

} elseif ($newsletter_module=='newsletter') {

$news_id_subscriber = '2';

} elseif ($newsletter_module=='product_notification') {

$news_id_subscriber = '3';

}

// Insertion de la nouvelle newsletter subscribers avec ent?te et pied de pages par d?fault - Lecture base subcribers_default

$latest_news_query = tep_db_query("select news_id, module_subscribers, header, status, unsubscribea, unsubscribeb from " . TABLE_SUBSCRIBERS_DEFAULT . " where news_id = '" . $news_id_subscriber . "'");

$latest_news = tep_db_fetch_array($latest_news_query);

$nlatest_news = new objectInfo($latest_news);

// Remplace les caract?res ' par \' pour ins?rer dans la nouvelle newsletter

$module_subscribers = ereg_replace("[']", "\'", $nlatest_news->module_subscribers);

$header = ereg_replace("[']", "\'", $nlatest_news->header);

$unsubscribea = ereg_replace("[']", "\'", $nlatest_news->unsubscribea);

$unsubscribeb = ereg_replace("[']", "\'", $nlatest_news->unsubscribeb);

// Ecriture dans la base subcribers_infos

tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_SUBSCRIBERS_INFOS . " (news_id, newsletters_id, status, module_subscribers, header, date_added, unsubscribea, unsubscribeb ) values ('', '" . $newsletter_id . "', '1' , '" . $module_subscribers . "', '" . $header . "', now(), '" . $unsubscribea . "', '" . $unsubscribeb . "') ");

// ################# END - Contribution Newsletter v050 ##############

This is not going to take care of all the references to table_newsletters on the rest of the page. Im not a PHP guru, and even I can see that all those calls to a nonexistent table are going to throw errors. Am I missing something here. ON the surface it appears that there is no way this mode could work if you delete the newsletters table and dont do something with the calls to it in admin/newsletters.php. Any help appreciated.

Edited by tkflkrww

I have installed this contrib but I get the error 1146 - Table 'newsletters' doesn't exist. The directions said to delete table newsletters at the start ....

I have the dame problem.

I created a new table, withthe same fields as a clean install, however I don't think this is correct - as I now get errors when trying to send an email...

Warning: Missing argument 3 for newsletter() in /var/www/funaticalcomau/public_html/shop/admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter.php on line 17

Warning: Missing argument 4 for newsletter() in /var/www/funaticalcomau/public_html/shop/admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter.php on line 17

Warning: Missing argument 5 for newsletter() in /var/www/funaticalcomau/public_html/shop/admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter.php on line 17

Warning: Missing argument 6 for newsletter() in /var/www/funaticalcomau/public_html/shop/admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter.php on line 17

Warning: Missing argument 7 for newsletter() in /var/www/funaticalcomau/public_html/shop/admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter.php on line 17

Newsletter Manager

? Information about the newsletter ?

? Customers receiving the newsletter: 3

? Newsletter number : test newsletter

? Module used to send the newsletter: testing

? Title of the newsletter:

? Outline of the newsletter ?

Can someone post a new sql file to update the datbase with "newletters"? or is it not as simple as that (I'm learning - but still a newbie by a long shot!)

Thanks heaps!!!

you need to have this for the newsletter sql...if you did the drop command, add this

CREATE TABLE `newsletters` (
 `newsletters_id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
 `title` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
 `content` text NOT NULL,
 `module` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
 `date_added` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
 `date_sent` datetime default NULL,
 `status` int(1) default NULL,
 `locked` int(1) default '0',
 PRIMARY KEY  (`newsletters_id`)
) TYPE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=4;

That will only resolve the issue with the table.

I also have the other errors and cannot figure out what is wrong with the contribution to resolve the sending of the newletters.

Need Hosting? Just ask!

you need to have this for the newsletter sql...if you did the drop command, add this

That will only resolve the issue with the table.

I also have the other errors and cannot figure out what is wrong with the contribution to resolve the sending of the newletters.

Thanks! But as you say... still getting errors when sending the email.

Cheers,

Tim