The e-commerce.

Newsletter & Subscribtion for MS2

Gyakutsuki

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

We need to distribute a HTML newsletter, and are therefore looking at this contribution. Some questions please:

1. Can this be used to put out a HTML newsletter, or do we need additional contributions.

2. Does the contribution contain a WYSIWYG function in admin.

3. Any problems with the contribution, considering the following:

(i) The site is a snapshot somewhere between MS-1 and MS-2

(ii) We have already heavily customised, heavily loaded the site with osC contributions.

Thanks,

Peter

Hello Loic,

Many thanks for your helpful comments. On checking back I have seen that my OSC is an early MS2 version.

After several checks, I found your new function to remove the <br> caused several problems, so I removed

those from the functions and the calling phps.

I think this is bug from the WYSIWYG add on rather than OSCitself as I get it in other (mainpage.php)

but not in the mail for some lucky reasons.

After much research I found you have disabled some of the original functions of NEWSLETTER

++++++++++++++++++++

1. The newsletter admin is based on the actual newsletter module , however a separate extension was developed in order to

manage only the information between the newsletter module and the subscribers module.

++++++++++++++++++++++

I presume the link in the TOOLS menu which is calleds the NEWSLETTER MANAGER

is still the main NEWSLETTERS sending and managing menu and when a NEW News letter

is saved from the NEWSLETTER ADMIN, it still saves to the above.

AM I right ?

Secondly, there are no more CAtogories of NEWSLETTERS , a customer can select.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-> to manage his registration throught a screen (modify info received and unsubscribe)

-> to have access (if registered) to the subscription center through the "my account" page.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I presume you have totally disabled these features in the catalog

and the unsubscribe has to be from a link attached to the NEWSLETTER

However I sa that thius link is in the ORIGINAL confirmation E MAIL sent out on SIGN up

but not systematically with Every News Letter.

How can I make it appear on the NEWS LETTER ?

I did try saving it as a footer but didn't work

I belive it is time that someone released a NEW contrib VER that has the rewrites and that works.

cuz i can't get this to work and all these back and forth posts about different errors and tests are messing my head up... i can't follow all this.

Is someone able to repackage a WORKING Contrib with all our upgrades/changes and a clean install HOWTO. :blink:

i would... but i suck at php.. this is why i use someone sles work to cut my code'n time down.

I love that about OSC ... you need very little PHP talent( like me)

:-"

- I NOW KNOW THAT I KNOW MUCH LESS THAN I THOUGHT I ONCE DID.

Hi,

I just downloaded the latest version and saw some mistakes.

The file subscription_center.php is missing from the contribution.

Or doesn't it have to be there?

subscription_center.php does'nt exist with this version. The last version is different that the 1st version. that's all.

It's only compatible with the ms2. For ms1, you must update the code.

It's how to have a new contribution

Edited by Gyakutsuki

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

• 2 weeks later...

After I installed this contribution I've the following problem can someone please help me... (without me re-installing everything please)

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_get_languages() in /home/httpd/vhosts/mydomain/httpdocs/admin/index.php on line 58

I installed this contribution, copied all provided files to the website.

I'm puzzled by the catalog side, there seem to be duplicate/different ways to subscribe, ie via infobox just with email and last name, or via separate newsletter subscribe page, where more information is requested (not sure if it is stored) as on the admin site, again a different set of personal info for the subscriber is showing.

So, it's basically inconsistent allover.

My question, what is supposed to be fully functional now - which pages should be used on the catalog side ?

I read about the plans for the different additional fields, and are wondering how much/how soon this could come ...

I have not looked at the actual code to see how much of the work has been done yet, I wouldn't mind helping out and getting my hands dirty to implement certain aspects of this contribution, but would need to know the latest status.

So Richard, or anybody else actively developing this contribution, could you let us know what's up ?

Thanks for this great idea, looking forward to cooperate in this

Carine

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Like a lot of people (judging by reading through this forum), I had major problems installing this contribution. Tons of PHP errors, some of which are the same ones others have reported and some which are not. I tried applying some of the fixes posted here, which just generated new and different errors, and eventually, after a few hours of fighting with it, I gave up and restored all the files from a backup. :(

I just don't have time for endless hours of troubleshooting on this, considering that the hours of work I put into this store have already surpassed twice what I quoted on the project, so I long ago stopped getting paid for this. What I would like to know now is: is there any other contribution, hopefully a more stable one, which can allow people to subscribe to a newsletter without registering for an account? Or should I go to a third-party solution that's not integrated with osCommerce, as some people seem to have done?

My client wants a little subscribe box in the footer of every page on the site, and ideally I'd like that to go into the same subscriber list as ticking the newsletter box on the account signup page, but if it can't be made to happen, then it can't... But if it can, without all the errors this contribution generates, I'd love to hear about it!

Hi,

if i try to subscribe i receive blank page ..

Blank page sin PHP mean either one of tow things.

1. There was no output to display (no 'echo' statements and no html generated), and the script has finished successfully.

2. There were error and 'display_errors' is set to zero, so you don't see the error message in the browser (which is how it should be for 'live' sites).

I would say it is #2, so check your PHP error log.

Peter

Hello, in my catalog section, I see

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING in /home/mp3shop4/public_html/includes/languages/english/newsletters.php on line 31

when I try to subscribe to my own newsletter, how can I make it work? Thanks in advance!

-Daniel

P.S. My site is www.mp3shop4u.com

Thanks!

Hi,

That line is okay, possibly post (say) 5 lines before line 31 please.

Peter

Here is line 21-54 (end) for newsletters.php in the language directory:

. 'Sincerely' . "\n" 
. 'Customer Care Service ' . "\n" 
. STORE_NAME . "\n" 
. STORE_NAME_ADDRESS. "\n" 
. 'web: ' . HTTP_SERVER . DIR_WS_CATALOG . "\n"
. STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS . "\n\n" 
);

define('EMAIL_WELCOME1', 'We welcome you to ' . STORE_NAME . '! You will now receive on a monthly basis our newsletter and we will share with you more discoveries about .... Some of these services include:' . "\n\n" . '* Palm Culture ' . "\n" . '* Special offers..' . "\n" . '* Palm culture advices' . "\n" . '* If you would like to contribute or write an article for one of our newsletters, do not hesitate to contact us . You can as well use the online form in order to submit your article and pictures. (The newsletter online form link is located in the section Newsletter of our site).' . "\n\n" . 'For help with any of our online services, please email our Service Center : ' . STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS . ' or use our online feedback forms (under the Contact Us icon).' . "\n\n" . 'We are happy to have you as a member of our community. Your email address and interest preferences have been recorded on our site. In the future, you will receive periodic emails specific to your interests.' . "\n\n" . 'Privacy is important to us; therefore, we will not sell, rent, or give away your name or address to anyone. At any point, you can select the link at the bottom of every email to unsubscribe, or to receive less or more information.' . "\n\n" . 'Thanks again for registering, and please visit ' . STORE_NAME . ' soon! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact us.' . "\n\n"'); 

define('CLOSING_BLOCK1', 'This email was sent to:'');
define('CLOSING_BLOCK2', "\n" . 'at your request, by MY STORE.' . "\n" .  'Visit our Subscription Center to edit your interests at: ' . HTTP_SERVER . DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'subscription_center.php?action=view&email=');
define('CLOSING_BLOCK3', "\n\n" . 'or unsubscribe at:' . HTTP_SERVER . DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'newsletters_unsubscribe.php?action=view&email=');
define('CLOSING_BLOCK4', "\n\n" . 'View our privacy policy at:  ' . HTTP_SERVER . DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'privacy.php' . '.');
define('TEXT_ORIGIN_LOGIN', '<font color="#FF0000"><small><b>NOTE:</b></font></small>Registering to receive our newsletter is a different process than registering when placing an order. To receive our newsletters, you only need to enter your name, email and country. (however you will not have access to the Club area and the online Customer Service Center.)</font>');
define('TEXT_ORIGIN_LOGIN1', '<font color="#FF0000"><small><b>NOTE2:</b></font></small>' . STORE_NAME . ' respects very strongly your privacy. We will never resell the information entered or use it in a way which was not originally explained : read our privacy page for all details.</font>');	
define('EMAIL_GREET_MR', 'Dear Mr. ');
define('EMAIL_GREET_MS', 'Dear Ms. ');
define('EMAIL_GREET_NONE', 'Dear ');

define('TEXT_EMAIL', 'E Mail');
define('TEXT_EMAIL_FORMAT', 'Format');
define('TEXT_GENDER', 'Gender');
define('TEXT_FIRST_NAME', 'First Name');
define('TEXT_LAST_NAME', 'Last Name');
define('TEXT_ZIP_INFO', 'By entering your Zip Code below (USA only), we can define....');
define('TEXT_ZIP_CODE', 'Zip Code');
define('TEXT_ORIGIN_EXPLAIN_BOTTOM', '');
define('TEXT_ORIGIN_EXPLAIN_TOP', '');
define('TEXT_EMAIL_HTML', 'HTML');
define('TEXT_EMAIL_TXT', 'Text');
define('TEXT_GENDER_MR', 'Mr');
define('TEXT_GENDER_MRS', 'Mrs');
?>

Hi,

PHP won't like this one .........

define('CLOSING_BLOCK1', 'This email was sent to:'');

Peter

I fixed that but it ws doing the same problem, but this time on line 29, but now i tihnk i fixed it myself! I got rid of

. "\n\n"'

on line 29 and I think it works now. What is that for anyways?

Hi,

Yep, I was also going to mention the double quotes.  :D

What is that for, ...line feed.

Peter

One more problem now............ it doesnt check for if you entered an invalid email address or didn't put the "@" or the like. Try it for yourself at the bottom of www.mp3shop4u.com and you will see.

I think that is my last problem

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi,

What is this value:

Admin | Configuration | Minimum Values | Email Address

Do you have the file /icludes/tld.txt , and what is in it ?

create_account.php - line 91

} elseif (tep_validate_email($email_address) == false) {

calls the function tep_validate_email() , which is defined at 43 to 121 of /includes/functions/validations.php

Peter

Edited by peterr

Hi,

When did you try it?, because on my computer it accepts anything.

I just tried it again (now), the email address was:

fred.yahoo.com

the error msg was:

Your E-Mail Address does not appear to be valid - please make any necessary corrections.

Try another computer, another browser on the same computer ??

Peter

Well, it's not working again. :( Everyone I asked to test it said they can register no matter hwat they put down for the email address. So the validation dosn't work. So what I decided to do was to reinstall the contribution on the catalog side (I left the admin side alone) but now it says this again and I don't rmeember what I did last time (even though I wrote it in this topic but wasn't sopecific enough):

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING in /home/mp3shop4/public_html/includes/languages/english/newsletters.php on line 31

Line 31 of that file says:

define('CLOSING_BLOCK1', 'This email was sent to:');

Any ideas...again?

THANKS,

Daniel