• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

USPS Shipping Module Error

nifocus

Hello All,

I recently installed the Store and wanted to use the USPS Module, but I keep getting this error: An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations. Is anyone familiar with this?? I would really appreciate your help.

Thanx, Will :thumbsup:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All,

I recently installed the Store and wanted to use the USPS Module, but I keep getting this error: An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations. Is anyone familiar with this?? I would really appreciate your help.

Thanx, Will  :thumbsup:

Hello,

I had that error with zero lb weight. And please check your store zip code.

Zaw

Hey Will,

I'm having the same exact trouble. I have a USPS ID/password, but no luck. Did you set up your store zip code? (Just checkin'). I'm not sure why I can't get mine to work. Please keep me posted though if you figure anything out. I'll do the same.

best,

Brian

Hello All,

I just read on another thread that you have to call the USPS 800 number provided in the e-mail they send with your ID/password. They'll switch you from "test" to "production". Hope this helps,

best,

Brian

Hello All,

• 2 years later...

I had post this same problem over 2 weeks ago and no seems to know the answer.

Anyway, I recieved the username but no password from the usps. Should we use the password we used while making an account on the website? Because I tried it, too, but it's still gave the same error.

I had post this same problem over 2 weeks ago and no seems to know the answer.

Anyway, I recieved the username but no password from the usps. Should we use the password we used while making an account on the website? Because I tried it, too, but it's still gave the same error.

Well, misery loves company... at least I was not the only one with this problem. But, I have found the solution. Yes, all the options mentioned in previous posts must be complete... product weight, store zip code, etc. but there are two issues that remain:

1. USPS doesn't give a password anymore. Apparently they used to but their tech support folks squared me away on this and said you can put anything you want in there... I just used the username again.

2. The main issue has already been answered by bmac

I just read on another thread that you have to call the USPS 800 number provided in the e-mail they send with your ID/password. They'll switch you from "test" to "production".

You have to get USPS to switch you to the production server. I tested the daylights out of things using the test server option in osCommerce via an interface my host provides. When USPS switched my server... bam! It all worked as advertised. :P

Good luck.

Well, misery loves company... at least I was not the only one with this problem. But, I have found the solution. Yes, all the options mentioned in previous posts must be complete... product weight, store zip code, etc. but there are two issues that remain:

1. USPS doesn't give a password anymore. Apparently they used to but their tech support folks squared me away on this and said you can put anything you want in there... I just used the username again.

2. The main issue has already been answered by bmac

You have to get USPS to switch you to the production server. I tested the daylights out of things using the test server option in osCommerce via an interface my host provides. When USPS switched my server... bam! It all worked as advertised. :P

Good luck.

I had been moved to production server but still got the same error.

I went round and round on this too with no luck to the point that the USPS support person yelled at me. What's the deal??!!

The USPS is the only option my client wants to use and it's crazy that there is not explaniation from. Where are the folks that wrote the code orignially and where is version 3?

• 2 weeks later...

According to the online USPS Web Tools documentation,

"An important note: The test server is set up to only accept the pre-defined XML transactions and return the pre-defined XML responses provided in this document. For the testing phase, follow the specific instructions in the Run Scripted Test section for the Web Tool you are installing."

So unless you are submitting the exact same requests as the documentation (which you won't), then it will always fail. As other posters have mentioned, just go ahead and ask for access to the production server and don't try using the USPS' testing server.

Larry

• 5 months later...
According to the online USPS Web Tools documentation,

"An important note: The test server is set up to only accept the pre-defined XML transactions and return the pre-defined XML responses provided in this document. For the testing phase, follow the specific instructions in the Run Scripted Test section for the Web Tool you are installing."

So unless you are submitting the exact same requests as the documentation (which you won't), then it will always fail. As other posters have mentioned, just go ahead and ask for access to the production server and don't try using the USPS' testing server.

Larry

I am trying to use USPS as well, did switching over to the production server, fix anyone else's problems as well?

--------------------------------

http://www.orbitmicro.com/

I am trying to use USPS as well, did switching over to the production server, fix anyone else's problems as well?

--------------------------------

http://www.orbitmicro.com/

Ya! I just set this up on my site. I followed the previous "checklist"; make sure your shop has the zip code set in the shipping section, make sure your products have weights assigned, enable the usps module using your "Web Tools" user ID as both your user ID and your password in the usps module, and set it to production server. Then call USPS (1-800-344-7779) and ask them to switch you to the production server on your web tools account. It updates almost immediately. After I did all of this, it magically started working. Hope this helps someone.

I must be the only one who never had to call to get switched to production server. It all happened automatically via email when I set up my USPS account. All the rates and shipping have been working perfectly since I opened the account. I even checked it with my dropshippers that use USPS .. everything matches. Go figure.

hey everyone, i am having the same problem, usps has been contacted, the client has been put onto teh production server but i still cant get an estimate,....i get this

United States Postal Service

An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations.

If you prefer to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.

the zip code is correct in the configuration>shipping/packagingthe product i am testing has a weight

any thoughts? this cart is supposed to go live tomorrow :(

Edited by tec

Ya! I just set this up on my site. I followed the previous "checklist"; make sure your shop has the zip code set in the shipping section, make sure your products have weights assigned, enable the usps module using your "Web Tools" user ID as both your user ID and your password in the usps module, and set it to production server. Then call USPS (1-800-344-7779) and ask them to switch you to the production server on your web tools account. It updates almost immediately. After I did all of this, it magically started working. Hope this helps someone.

ok, so correct me if i am wrong, but you are saying to put the userid (email addy) in both the userid and password areas of the admin?

hmm,ok, i just tried putting my username as the password and i still cant get a connection...this is what i get

An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations.

If you prefer to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.

i have tried shipping to a canadian addy and an american addy, it makes no difference.