• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

$is_read_only

rhubarb

• 8 years later...

I can still see this variable (in if conditions) in many files, and keep getting E_NOTICE on them as it seems this variable is not defined anywhere, or am I missing something?

This code exists only in osCommerce 2.2MS1, vintage 2002. So the problem is that you are using 10 year old, obsolete code. You need to update your code right now. Since there's no reasonable upgrade path for something that old, you should start over with a fresh copy of 2.3.3 and import as much data as you can.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Thank for the reply, Jim.

My site has already been upgraded to 2.2 MS2 RC2a when it was released plus all the latest 2.3 possible upgrades, but this code/condition still exist in updated contributions like "Anti Robot Reg", although I couldn't find in any of osC release files of current or past releases any place that this $is_read_only variable ever actually defined, although it has been used as a condition.

Has it ever been defined somewhere or was it just a redundant code or something?

Edited by dr_lucas

It was only in 2.2 MS1 as far as I can tell. Since it was removed in later versions, I assume it was never properly implemented.

The result of all the upgrades you have done is a "frankenstore" -- it's not really any version, but has pieces from many. You'll have to patch code like this on your own. I can barely remember working on 2.2 MS1 ten years ago, and would not be able to offer any support.

If you want real support, I recommend that you replace your store with a real 2.3.3. It has many features that your code does not, since all of the upgrades are incomplete.

Regards

Jim

LoL @ "franakstore" :)

Actually I got a super extra modified (hundreds of contributions and tiny/large personal enhancements) 2.2 MS2 RC2a based store with some selected enhancements from 2.3, as published by hpdl, so upgrading to 2.3.3, while desirable, is something that would probably be extremely difficult to do. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again for your feedback, Jim, I will probably just remove this code, afaik it just came with the "Anti Robot Reg" mod.

Cheers

I wouldn't say extremely difficult, but certainly time-consuming. I can see your point though. You can probably get a few more years out of it by patching these things by hand. Maybe then you can build a new store with osC 3.x.

Regards

Jim