• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

0.1 lbs in weight

zawohn

Hi All,

Eventhough, I set weight to zero lbs , I am still seeing 0.1 lbs as follwoing:

United States Postal Service (1 x 0.1lbs)

How can I fix it? Please help me if you know.

I made tar weight to 0 .

Sincerely,

Zaw

Hi All,

Eventhough, I set weight to zero lbs , I am still seeing 0.1 lbs as follwoing:

Hi zawohn, I think all you have to do is go into your Admin area and change it.

1. Go to your Admin Area

2. Configuration

3. Product Listing

4. Turn your "display product weight" to zero to disable it.

That's it...now if you still want to use weights, but don't want some products to show for some weights, I think there is a contribution for that in the contribution section. not sure yet, but I will need that contribution myself when I get to that point.

I have a problem with the weight thing of a different nature....

My weights are doubled at checkout. So, if a product is 1.2 and a customer purchases that product the shipping charges 2.4 weight for that product at checkout. Anyone know why that is...is there a fix for this problem?

Heck...is there a fix for Zawohn's problem and Mine put togther???

:o

Edited by Keg

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

You are still seeing 0.1 when using the USPS module because there is code in the module that forces it, since the USPS rating API will not accept 0 weight

// usps doesnt accept zero weight
     $shipping_weight = ($shipping_weight < 0.1 ? 0.1 : $shipping_weight);
     $shipping_pounds = floor ($shipping_weight);
     $shipping_ounces = round(16 * ($shipping_weight - floor($shipping_weight)));
     $this->_setWeight($shipping_pounds, $shipping_ounces);

As to the doubling of weights... which module are you using, does it happen with every weight entered for an item and what modifications have you made. If it was ever working correctly, backup to that point in time and re-do the changes you made. Check at each step as you make modifications to see where the problem develops.

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

try being a Foster Parent!

As to the doubling of weights... which module are you using, does it happen with every weight entered for an item and what modifications have you made. If it was ever working correctly, backup to that point in time and re-do the changes you made. Check at each step as you make modifications to see where the problem develops.

Hi mugitty...I have not changed anything. When you talk about module, are you talking about the Admin section? I only turned on a few things in admin i.e. Paypal, UPS, and Check Money Order, COD. That's it...I turned on whatever oscommerce came with. I have not added any contributions. Is there something in Admin that I'm overlooking?

I'm still having the double weight problem...in other words, when a product is the the last stage of purchasing it, the products weight is doubled, and as a result it charges double weight shipment fees? >_<

Here is what it looks like when puchasing a product that is 1.5 weight:

Note: this is the first screen that comes up when purchasing...

_______________________________________________________Start

Please select the preferred shipping method to use on this order. Please Select

United Parcel Service (1 x 3lbs)

Next Day Air Early AM $55.05

Next Day Air $23.84

Next Day Air Saver $20.83

2nd Day Air $12.67

3 Day Select $10.15

Ground $8.00

United States Postal Service

Zone Rates

Shipping to US : 3 lb(s) $8.50

_______________________________________________________End

I'm using these three payment methods:

Check/Money Order

Cash on Delivery

PayPal

Anyone have any ideas? :huh:

First step...

Check your Admin->Configuration->Shipping/Packaging

Make sure that "Package Tare Weight" and "Larger Packages-percentage increase" are both set to "0". This will eliminate any additions to weight that the cart is adding for packaging weight. Then check and see if the cart is still doubling or increasing the weight of a product in any way when checking out.

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

First step...

Check your Admin->Configuration->Shipping/Packaging

"Package Tare Weight" and "Larger Packages-percentage increase" are both set to "0".

Where are those at again...I keep trying to find it, but can't seem to find those two?

You know, my weights are not doubeling, they are erratic! sometimes doubled, and always at a minimum of 3, but sometimes 5, 7, etc. Depending on what I have in the cart.

Example: Product 1, 1.5lbs + Product2, 1lb = 5

Example: Product 1, 2.5lbs + Product2, 2lb = 7

etc

Anyway, first things first, I want to do what you said, but can't find those two? Where are they again?

In the administration interface area where you set up your store information, add products, etc.

Admin->Configuration->Shipping/Packaging

If its always a minimum of '3', I would bet that your Tare weight is still set at the default that comes in osCommerce, which is 3

Edited by mugitty

In the administration interface area where you set up your store information, add products, etc.

Admin->Configuration->Shipping/Packaging

If its always a minimum of '3', I would bet that your Tare weight is still set at the default that comes in osCommerce, which is 3

:thumbsup: By Golly You're Right!!! :thumbsup:

It works now!!!!!!!!!!!! THAAAAAAAAAAAANKS Mugitty :rolleyes:

Mugitty - - - YOU MADE MY DAY!!!, can't thank you enough :D

Now all I need to do is fix the zero weight...it comes up with an error for UPS if there is a zero weight.

Do you suggest any "contributions" for fixing all of this zero weight, ebooks, or electronic download stuff that doesn't have a weight?

I have some electronic products and some physical products both. I do not want to show a price for electronic products (depending on what it is - maybe so), or/and just want to have them download from a linking website (also for affiliate program links, etc). Is there a way to put affiliate products in the store without a customer paying for it, but linking them to a diff site? Then, the products with a weight higher than 0(zero), I want the price to show with weight, tax ,etc (which you helped me fix). Also, finally, I want to show coupons, accessories, extra product picts, etc.

I would possibly want a zero product to be paid for through my store or seperate link if that is at all possible - - what do you think?

Is there a contribution to cover them all or individually?

Conclusion: What I'm trying to say is there one possible way to divide out 0, electronic, and physical items seperately or as a whole if a store owner so may choose to? :blink:

Well THANKS A MILLION for the help! I've been pulling my hair out :wacko: for days trying to figure that weight problem. YOUR HELP IS APPRECIATED. When you get the chance let me know if you have any possible solutions to my confusing questions above ...LOL :lol:

Now all I need to do is fix the zero weight...it comes up with an error for UPS if there is a zero weight.

Both UPS and USPS rely on a weight as part of their rate quote, so you will always get an error or an arbitrary minimum weight with those two shipping modules if there is no weight to the products in the customer's shopping cart.

Since I don't deal with any "virtual" products, I've never had to solve that problem. You might try searching for something like "virtual product shipping" and see if you can find your answer that way... I'm pretty sure I've seen posts in the past which cover this.

Following a new Tip that was just posted today which will search Google for forum posts (which might give better results than the forum search function), go to Google and try this search phrase:

virtual product shipping site:www.oscommerce.com/forums

Edited by mugitty

Kick Ass Mugitty! ... You've been more than gracious!

Thanks for ALL your great help...I'm having a beer for you tonight, that's for sure :thumbsup:

Will drink a few for myself too ^_^

THANK YOU

I have been tearing my hair out trying to get the table rate to work as it was always making the rate more expensive. Now I know it was adding weight for packaging. I was trying to make it work for the prepaid satchels that I mainly use. Setting the tare weight to 0 was all it took :)