• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Beefing/Speeding Up Easypopulate

tapaule

I've probably missed something obvious when thinking this over, but here goes -

Easypopulate is a fantastic contribution that I have spent hours tweaking for my own catalog (I have a couple extra fields in my products table from a stock OSC table). With easypopulate and my additional fields, I can have no more than 20 items to add in any given attempt. I was looking over the code and thought that the reason EP is kind of slow is because it's reading from a text file then making all it's comparisions and additions/updates.

Would it be better/more efficent to first toss the text file into a table, then have EP go line by line in the temporary table and make additions/updates from there? With my limited understanding of MySQL I think it would be much quicker to let this happen from a table rather than from a text file. I think this may even need to be two different scripts.

I'm sure I'm not the only person to think of this, so maybe I'm missing some glaring piece of coding/MySQL truth that will save me the day of trying to do this.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Tom

• 8 months later...

Im not sure if this will help you, but I think its worth it to give it a go:

23 Jun 2005 - Easypopulate Attributes Optimization

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,500

I had a database of 1600 products with over 250,000 different attributes,

and originally it would take up to 18 minutes (if the script didnt timeout first)

Now it takes about 20 seconds. ---sweet

(Times may vary for you based on your server)

All this optimization does is first load the entire attributes and options tables

into an arrays. Then while its going product by product, it no longer makes

a seperate mysql query calls, it just grabs the data from the existing array.

Will work on EP v2.4+