• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OK..ecopeia.com is back online

ecopeia

Hey,

Along with the missing ALT tags, I found this piece of text when attempting to login:

New Customer 

I am a new customer.

By creating an account at osCommerce you will be able to shop faster, be up to date on an orders status, and keep track of the orders you have previously made.

Just in case you have been through the text and missed this.

madpah

I agree with Burt.

This is open source. You are more than willing to use osc as a base for your webstore, and actively participate in the community by being here asking for comments on your website.

By the very nature of posting in this thread, people are going to pick up on what you have done and ask about it...your reply is basically saying Ha Ha we've done it, you can't have it. To me, if you use open source code you should be willing to share whatever you get out of it, not say "It's all part of business" ... What if everyone says that? There would be no community.

I agree with Burt.

This is open source. You are more than willing to use osc as a base for your webstore, and actively participate in the community by being here asking for comments on your website. 

By the very nature of posting in this thread, people are going to pick up on what you have done and ask about it...your reply is basically saying Ha Ha we've done it, you can't have it.  To me, if you use open source code you should be willing to share whatever you get out of it, not say "It's all part of business"  ... What if everyone says that?    There would be no community.

I agree with Ady,

You are entitled to keep stuff for internal use only but then

at least don't ask us to review your site.

Treasurer MFC

It doesn't seem like the main page bit, right above "site-wide" specials would be all that difficult.

After looking at it with FF, with the Web Developer extension told to outline table components (holy nested tables, batman!), here's what that section looks like to me:

1) standard redirect.php banner used as the top image, linking to a particular category.

2) 2x4 table, roughly like this:

<table>
<tr>
 <td>cutesy category image link</td><td>cutesy category image link</td>
</tr>

<tr>
 <td><ul><li>hardcoded text link to a subcategory</li><li>another hardcoded text link to a subcategory</li></ul></td>
 <td><ul><li>hardcoded text link to a subcategory</li><li>another hardcoded text link to a subcategory</li></ul></td>
 </tr>

<tr>
 </tr>
</table>

If that's all it is (and it seems like it), it's not really worth all that secrecy stuff. . .

(And I didn't even have to sign a NDA!)

-jared

Funny. Actually, the table nesting occurs on the fly. Simply because a site is looking for feedback doesnt imply it should be compelled to disclose any kind of additional mod work it has done.

IMHO

Carpe Carp: Seize the Fish.

You're right that you're not required to make everything public. Consider the point, though, that you're requesting feedback on your use of open-source code at the same time that you're refusing to share how you used that code.

It's one thing to display the website to a general audience and ask what they think of it. When you ask an open-source community for feedback on your implementation of the code that many others have worked on, and then state that you're not willing to discuss how *you* worked on that same open-source code, you can't seriously expect the responses to be all positive.

-jared

I am going to be a bit of an intrusive prick here and object to the requests for information pertaining to their coding methods used for this site you are all reviewing.

Yes this is an Open-Source based community, and the base store script is fully Open-Source. These cannot and will not be objected.

You are being asked to review a site that is based off of an Open-Source code, that has had proprietary changes made to it. This group has put countless hours into programming, and re-programming the aesthetic and functionality side of the OSC script, on their time, at their expense.

This group is more than happy to release contributions and some functionality tweaks as they already stated they have done or are going to do, but they do not have to do even that. As much as I would love to have the coding behind their masterpiece, it is theirs and I can respect that without any ill-will towards the fact that they can code a hell of a lot better than I can.

I am not meaning to rant here, and am not getting mad at any particular individual, but the concept of Open-Source is not to share every idea you have and give away all your secrets; it is to work together to develop common ideas of functionality in coding. Most people here will bring up a concept for a contribution or addition to OSC and then through networking with other members they will bring the project to fruition and create a community piece that is freely shared. That is Open-Source at its purest.

Besides, if you really want to know how they did it, all you need to do is grab a copy of their PHP files which are fully available to you since they are online. There are more than enough programs that can strip entire websites from the web to your computer, even some that can grab any single referenced file that is in the site you target, be they secured or not.

I'll step off my soap box now. *jumps down*

Forgot to mention that the site looks great.

I would lose the right-side of the page as it lends nothing to the functionality and clutters the design.

Other than a few minor issues like missing images, font usage, etc, it all looks really good.

Solid functionality, and slick new interface. :thumbsup:

if you really want to know how they did it, all you need to do is grab a copy of their PHP files which are fully available to you since they are online

This works for HTML, but not PHP. The web server reads the php files and generates the HTML on the fly. You can't get the PHP file just by downloading it via your web browser. Good thing, too, for security reasons.

If you want to see for yourself, use wget to download index.php. All you get is HTML.

-jared

This works for HTML, but not PHP.  The web server reads the php files and generates the HTML on the fly.  You can't get the PHP file just by downloading it via your web browser.  Good thing, too, for security reasons.

If you want to see for yourself, use wget to download index.php.  All you get is HTML. 

-jared

This is the results you will get from the majority of the programs online that are built to strip websites from the web, as they process the strings and vlaues as they are called within the PHP. Not the most effective way to get a functional PHP based website onto your computer I would say.

There are now however a few programs I have heard tell of that will literally strip entire websites from the net. How they do this is by manually pathing each and every referenced file in each page. Meaning that if there was a reference in teh index.php file to grab a value or process a function from general.php instead of just grabbing that value like most programs it makes the path to that general.php file and grabs the entire file, and writes the relative path on your computer and places it there.

I hope that made sense. Basically if you were to type a filename into the browser, with the full path behind it, it can pull that page from the web. Still there are certain files that are so vaguely referenced, or vice-vesrsa, dynamically referenced, that the programs still cannot grab them. It is only a matter of time though.

ecopeia - You're welcome!

That's why I mentioned wget. It's not a web browser. It doesn't render. It just downloads.

It's the web server that converts the PHP file into HTML, that's why you have to have mod_php installed with Apache for php files to work.

If you can find a tool that somehow manages to download php files without any pre-processing prior to the web server vending the page, I'd love to see it (really)! I have a hard time believing that it exists, though.

-jared

I'm back! My site was down for a few months, but I have it back online! Please visit my beta site and tell me what you think!

eCopeia.com

Some of you may remember this site! Thank you for all your supportive comments!

I love your discounts

Your Shopping Cart Preview

19999999999999999999999999999999999999 x Pick Cover

$6.18

Treasurer MFC

I love your discounts

19999999999999999999999999999999999999 x  Pick Cover

$6.18

is this a steal or what !

19999999999999999999999999999999999999 x Pick Cover

999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 x Pioneer KEH-P4020 Full Logic & Multi-Color Display

999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 x AMD Athlon64 FX + 120G + 1.0G + DVD + DVDRW SHARK SYS

99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

999 x Dewalt 7"/9" Sander/Polisher

$1.83

Treasurer MFC

is this a steal or what !

19999999999999999999999999999999999999 x  Pick Cover

999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 x  Pioneer KEH-P4020 Full Logic & Multi-Color Display

999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 x  AMD Athlon64 FX + 120G + 1.0G + DVD + DVDRW SHARK SYS

99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

999 x  Dewalt 7"/9" Sander/Polisher

$1.83

OK jokesters...

Please excuse any irregularities you may see on the site as the site is undergoing "renovation".

Thank you!

OK jokesters...

Please excuse any irregularities you may see on the site as the site is undergoing "renovation".

Thank you!

please, this is not a joke, many OSC sites have this problem when you allow quantity input in the cart without controlling it.

so use it to your advantage, don't consider it ridicule just because I presented it in that way somewhat.

personally I use a drop down box that only allows qty's up to the stock level.

Treasurer MFC

please, this is not a joke, many OSC sites have this problem when you allow quantity input in the cart without controlling it.

so use it to your advantage, don't consider it ridicule just because I presented it in that way somewhat.

personally I use a drop down box that only allows qty's up to the stock level.

My Bad! I didn't look at your post clearly enough and assumed that the product prices were jacked up. I will check this problem out.

Thanks!

That's why I mentioned wget.  It's not a web browser.  It doesn't render.  It just downloads.

It's the web server that converts the PHP file into HTML, that's why you have to have mod_php installed with Apache for php files to work. 

If you can find a tool that somehow manages to download php files without any pre-processing prior to the web server vending the page, I'd love to see it (really)!  I have a hard time believing that it exists, though. 

-jared

It does exist....called FTP. Thing is though, you have to have a username and password. Without some way of physically having access to the files via a remote connection to the server there is no way to pull a php file before it has been compiled (unless .php files have been identified in the server config as a file which should not be run through the php compiler).

Chris Sullivan

Well the site look great, and the navigation works beautifully.

But there seems to be some problems with pictures not showing at certain placements both in regards to graphics and product listing pictures.

For those of you that like the categories (and sub cats) set out above the "sitewide new arrivals" area, well there is a contribution which comes close, Browse by Categories, which i imagine also could quite easily be tweeked to look this way...... :thumbsup:

Archived