Sign in to follow this  
pexheatkevin

UPS shipping calcs basics

Hi:

I am interested in turning on the ups shipping module in my store (http://www.pexheat.com/catalog). I'm trying to figure out the basics of how it calculates shipping cost.

Basic, basic crap like:

1. what does it use for weight if none is specified for a product?

2. How does it figure out how much goes in a single box or how many boxes to estimate?

3. How does/can it deal with bulky items? Items whose dimensional weight is higher then its actual weight?

I am using the UPS module stamped ups.php,v 1.54 2003/04/08 23:23:42

Should I upgrade to a later/better contribution?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

with no weight in the product then no shipping cost can be calculated.

you need to open the contribution and read thru the text and also the code, these are all explained there, of how it works, what is displayed.

Hi:

I am interested in turning on the ups shipping module in my store (http://www.pexheat.com/catalog).  I'm trying to figure out the basics of how it calculates shipping cost.

Basic, basic crap like:

1. what does it use for weight if none is specified for a product?

2. How does it figure out how much goes in a single box or how many boxes to estimate?

3. How does/can it deal with bulky items?  Items whose dimensional weight is higher then its actual weight?

I am using the UPS module stamped ups.php,v 1.54 2003/04/08 23:23:42

Should I upgrade to a later/better contribution?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

John Oligario

Knowledge Base Contributions

Additionally, I am going to strongly recommend against using the default UPS shipping module, as it is using the deprecated UPS cgi gateway. The problem that I have run into with that is that it does not properly generate the cost data. You are far better off using the UPSXML contribution, and modifying the files as needed to allow that to work with your store. This will require that you get keys from UPS to do the XML translation, but it will work MUCH better, and you'll find that your shipping quotes are much more accurate if you do it that way.

Edited by eplossl

Thanks for the replies. I will try that UPSXML contribution.

I got strange calculations but not NO contributions with the out of the box UPS module. But I could tell that it was not dependable.