• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shadow Controller

Jack_mcs

Hmm, I hadn't noticed that before. I can't think of anything in the code that will cause that. The space between the infoboxes is determined by the height of the bottom image. I used a different image as a template when creating the parts for the left and right shadows so most likely I was one pixel off. It is hard to tell as the black fades to gray. I've sent you a new bottom image that is one pixel higher. See if that makes a difference.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

That can be a couple of things but the most likely is a cellpadding setting. Check the tables before it and make sure they are set to 0. Also make sure you have the size settins in admin set to the correct value for the type you are using. For Full, they are 11, 12.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

That can be a couple of things but the most likely is a cellpadding setting. Check the tables before it and make sure they are set to 0.  Also make sure you have the size settins in admin set to the correct value for the type you are using.  For Full, they are 11, 12.

Jack

I changed the full image size settings...no change

I check every file for cellpadding...all at "0"

?

I just notices the images you are using for headings. Are those in the same files? Find the table for one of the boxes and set border="1". I bet you will find the image you are using as a header is causing the problem. You can still do this, but you will need to place that image in its own table.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I just notices the images you are using for headings.  Are those in the same files?  Find the table for one of the boxes and set border="1".  I bet you will find the image you are using as a header is causing the problem.  You can still do this, but you will need to place that image in its own table.

Jack

Well when I put the border around the image it is just around the image, it does not extend with the box...

when I put the image in its own table, it makes the left side shadow graphic repeat about 30 times more than before...

I am going to take the header images competely out and see if I still have the repeat problem...

OK I have Define_Mainpage on the homepage and within Define_Mainpage, I have Star products...I would like to apply the shadow to this...How would I do that?

I have tried all different combo's of the shadow code and so far only a really bad bottom shadow is all I could get...

I'm not familar with the code in either of those so I can't help you. However, all that is needed is to add a few lines of code in order to have a shadow. If you take a look at any of the infoboxes (includes/boxes/) you can use the code there to compare against.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...
I have uploaded a contribution called Shadow Controller It allows for the complete control of adding and rearranging shadows to inforboxes.  With just a few clicks, after installation, you can change the appearance of your shop quite dramatically.  New shadow effects can be easily added, once generated, by just calling them from the admin panel. Example screen shots are included in the contribution.

Jack

Thank you for this contribution ! excellent work

I have some comments on the install instructions though - if you like I can re-write the "more difficuult to follow" parts and give to you for use with future upgrades - let me know what you think

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

I have some comments on the install instructions though - if you like I can re-write the "more difficuult to follow" parts and give to you for use with future upgrades - let me know what you think

Charles

Just noticed after all that that the left border of the right column buts up against the products list -

How do I create a space between the left edge of the right column boxes and my product listings ?

Charles

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Just noticed after all that that the left border of the right column buts up against the products list -

How do I create a space between the left edge of the right column boxes and my product listings ?

Charles

Sorry forum - it's late and i'm tired - here is the URL to see what i mean

http://www.simplyeasier.com/shoptest/catalog/index.php

Charles

Edited by Simplyeasier

Charles

You can rewrie the instructions and upload it as a new version yourself. Just don't upload the changes by themselves though. Add the changes to the archive and upload it with a note about what you did. It will be less confusing for others later on.

I'm not sure why the right column is doing that. I haven't seen it before and it's hard to say without seeing the code in your shop but the code in the contribution won't cause it by itself.. Maybe you removed the cellpadding/cellspacing of the main table? You could add that back in or increase it. Or you could try changing the widths of your columns in application_top. Although that will change both of them. Or you could put a column between the middle and right columns.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You can rewrie the instructions and upload it as a new version yourself.  Just don't upload the changes by themselves though. Add the changes to the archive and upload it with a note about what you did.  It will be less confusing for others later on.

I'm not sure why the right column is doing that.  I haven't seen it before and it's hard to say without seeing the code in your shop but the code in the contribution won't cause it by itself..  Maybe you removed the cellpadding/cellspacing of the main table?  You could add that back in or increase it.  Or you could try changing the widths of your columns in application_top.  Although that will change both of them.  Or you could put a column between the middle and right columns. 

Jack

Jack

The problem was when I first set up osC I added my own header logo - the instructions for doing this suggest a change to cell spacing and padding changing it from 3 to 0 :) in ALL the Catalog files

So I went back and changed the table settings to a spacing and padding of 3 and bingo

One last thing I noticed that the new products box is not shading correctly - I dare say I have not changed the new_products correctly although I have combed thru it and cannot find a difference to the one in your contribution.

The problem is when I use any shade class the bottom seems disengaged from the box and if I use right - well that is a long way from the box.

I can live (just about) with the bottom - so that is what I am using - but any ideas on what to look for?

When time allows and if no-one else has done it I will update the install instructions

Thanks again for just what I was looking for.

Charles

It looks OK to me. If you are still having problems, post an image of that section so I can better see what the problem is.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It looks OK to me.  If you are still having problems, post an image of that section so I can better see what the problem is.

Jack

sorry - I corrected it immediately after the post - and didn't tell anyone :rolleyes:

What it was was cellpadding in index for the new products table was at 2 not 0 - I could have sworn I changed it last night when I was bleary eyed, tired and grumpy. Made the change and now we are cooking with gas as we say in Suffolk

Charles

• 5 months later...

Hallo Charles,

I saw your shoptest on http://www.simplyeasier.com/shoptest/catalog/index.php.

Is it wright that you use DHTML Menu (for the Gift Selections Box) and Shadow Controller? I'm an beginner in osc and use those contribs too, but in my categories Box (where I use DHTML Menu) no categories are shown (after trying to make the changes for Shadow Controller). Can you please show the code of the Gift Selections Box where you coded the changes for Shadow Controller. I searched the english and german forum and found no matching topics.

Can you help, please?

Thanks, Giacomo.

ps: this is my first post. sorry for my bad english, my native language is german.

• 6 months later...

At the time of the release, the sql file worked fine. Since then, mysql has been updated and that file, which uses auto increment, no longer works. To fix it, go into phpmyadmin and look in the configuration groups table. Find the Shadow Controller entry and note its id. Then go to the configuration table and find the entries for Shadow Controller (there are 13 of them). They will most likely be at end of the table or you can just do a search on shadow to find them all. You will need to change the configuration_group_id to match the number you found above.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 years later...

Please can someone help me?

I have installed this contribution and it works OK - than i decided to change the width and height of shadow (I am using 7 for both).

But after this change I haven't the bottom shadow under every box aligned correctly.

You can see it at http://www.minotaur.cz/sfaf/catalog/ (every box in left and right column).

Please can you help me? Where can be mistake?

I don't see a problem with the page you link to but it sounds like it might be the cellpadding settnig in the tables of your site. Have you read this thread? I seem to recall a similar problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons