• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Paypal / Credit Cards

lighthouseplus

I am not computer illeterate. I am not a computer expert. If I can be led somewhere with insturctions I can follow them and apply them how I need to.

What I need:

I have the shopping cart, I do not have a way for them to pay (at least non that I am aware of).

What I know:

I have to incorporate paypal / CC merchant into the shopping cart.

Somehow I have to get a secure site (which I think I have through my webhost) to run the credit cards through.

What I have:

I have a paypal merchant account (yes from ebay, lol).

What I do see:

A place throught out osCommerce that has some sort of step by step instructions to link the shopping cart to the cc merchant / paypal account. I am not even sure where to start.

I am not interested at this time as to which cc merchant is best... as I have read alot and I mean alot of posts with opions about that. Just the general basics or even where in osCommerce to look.

You can even email me if you want at [email protected]

Thank You.

:ph34r:

PayPal IPN contribution

Take a look there, it has its drawbacks, but it also has its advantages, considering what your requirements are.

The contribution comes with instructions, and resources to intall it and run it. There is also a thread in this forum whose link you can find inside the contribution.

Luck,

Mario.

okay in the istallation guide to paypal it says this:

Use phpMyAdmin to make the following alterations to the following existing osCommerce tables

* ALTER TABLE orders ADD paypal_ipn_id INT( 11 ) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL;

* ALTER TABLE orders_products_attributes ADD products_options_id INT( 11 ) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL;

* ALTER TABLE orders_products_attributes ADD products_options_values_id INT( 11 ) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL;

I think now maybe I am computer illeterate.... but Ihave been able to find the myphpadmin site to download it but I hope that God hears me.

I was looking over the original reply to lighthouseplus and noticed that I said something that is easy to misinterpret:

Take a look there, it has its drawbacks, but it also has its advantages, considering what your requirements are.

The drawbacks I referred to have more to do with PayPal as a payment acceptance system, not the PayPal IPN contribution. I believe that, with a certain group of customers, having to sign up/login to two different sites to make a purchase prevents some cutomers from going through with the purchase. I have noticed this on my store because of the amount of people that leave the order pending when they realize that they have to sign up/login to PayPal. The PayPal IPN contribution is robust, easy to implement, and great to use. Furthermore, it is in my opinion, the best way to go, considering the costs assocated to other payment acceptance systems.

Mario.

Thanks for the interest in me. I ended up going through some of the steps with downloading what you told. Found myphpadim, was looking that over and found out I could just click on install ebay module in the database, so I clicked on that and it ran fine... But some of the drawbacks have me concerned... about paypal that they (the customers need to re login into or create a paypal account. Paypal was easy to sit up so I have it up for now, but would like a regular credit card purchase option w/o having to have the customer log in/ create an account.... any thoughts? :blink:

Paul:

Install ebay module where?

About the sign up/login to PayPal, a small percentage of users don't go through with the purchase. Certainly not enough to discourage any store owner from installing it.

The credit card purchase option I am no yet familiar with. Unchartered territory for me.

Mario.

I am very concerned about paypal's requirements because it's interface seem to be in english only, I am based in Mexico and of course the native language is spanish, so this is a real problem for me, most potential buyers will simply drop the purchase because they don't inderstand what's going on with their payment suddenly changing into a foreign language.

Is there some sort of competitor that will offer services similar to paypal BUT not require buyers to log into their own system?

My main interest though is linking with a local bank that of course offers some weird JAVA based interface apparently unknown to osc so far, here's my inquiry on the subject:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110031

btw a quick google search on paypal also gave me this colorfull website http://www.paypalsucks.com/ I understand nobody is a gold coin to make everybody smile; but this site looks bigger than I expected.

Carlos:

Thanks for the reply. it did a few things for me. I went out to the site your recomended for paypal which pointed me to "real" credit card processors. I was able to review thier programs, which I will spend some time on to make sure a get the most cost efficient program. I was also able to read about paypal from a prospective I had very little information about. I, myself, have not had any issues with paypal. I have used them for ebay selling under username "themainah" and have had good success using them. I did recieve something about the class action suit in my email but had no idea what was going on. Thanks for giving me something to consider.

As far as selling outside of the US, we have not looked into that option as a small business, but I do see the need to have multiple languages becuase we have several different languages in the US.

Thanks again.

:wacko:

Another informative site for PayPal issues is: Link

I have been using PayPal for almost a year now ... they have frozen my account several times, created issues with customers and I have also been ripped off several times by fraudulent charges. (Frozen acct = No Transactions incoming or outgoing for over 90 days.) - This will PISS you off royaly if it is your only Payment gateway. - It stops your business.

This all comes with using PayPal as a paypment gateway, so the money you save not using an actual merchant account ends up being spent to resolve PayPal scams and chargebacks, and monies lost while your account is frozen.

I still use PayPal, but wish I could use a Merchant Service instead. My business is not yet profitable enough to take that step, so I live with the BS from PayPal.

Edited by ScooterProShop.com

Scooterboy

That sounds like a serious risk.

I'm also looking to change from PayPal to a merchant account. I have not had any problems with them, but my business is based in San Jose Costa Rica, and I'm interested in managing my bank accounts locally, not in the US. Haven't found an option so far.

I have the same problem Carlos has with the bank. They sent me a couple of cgi-scripts that need access to the command line. When I realized this I practically laughed in their face, and told them that if they wanted to compete in this business they were 5 steps behind the last guy.

My customers are in the US so I have no problem with language, but I would like m money here, not there.

Mario.