• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I want to accept credit card payments only

jamkel

My cart is comming along nicely but it is time to test it and see if it actually works. I am curious how you go about accepting payments only from cc's. The cc module is setup. So now what happens? Do I need a merchant account? How do I config it so the money is deposited in my bank? Or to my own credit card. Basicly how does all this shit work!? Like I said I'm a major noob. I don't want to use paypal what so ever. Think I should use 2checkout?

Yes, you need to get a merchant account. Which one you go with depends on how much you want to pay. Some charge you a montly fee no matter what, like Autorize.net. Others charge only on the charge made, like PayPal and 2CO. 2CO also charges a one-time setup fee. I would rethink going with PayPal. At first, I only used 2CO and then thoguht I would try PP too. Turns out that customers use both about the same amount of times. Since PP charges less than 2CO, I end up making more. Both PP and 2CO transfer the money to your checking account free of charge. Authorize.net probably does too but I don't use them so I can't say for sure.

HTH,

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Concord/EFSNet is another excellent "true" merchant account which I integrate within the cart. Should already be initially "installable" in osC under EFSnet. They have very competitive pricing, the funds are in your account fast, and they have a totally 100% FREE testing ground! That's right, full-fledged testing grounds to make it work, then you switch it over. Much like USPS's testing grounds WISHED they could have been. ;-)

After you obtain a merchant acount, it is all downhill from there. The only problems I have gotten have been with osC not liking it when a CC is not approved by EFSnet (for expired card, etc.). It printed all the data in a red box above my header. Needless to say with a test account I fixed it before going live.

Ruhl

Ruhl - I'm always looking for better options for taking charges. I visited their website but it doesn't mention, that I can find, anything about costs or their policies. That's not very encouraging. What do you pay for their service? Is there an initial setup fee? Do they charge a basic monthly fee or just on a per charge basis?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

I have used AUthorize.net in the past, and once it was set up, it worked famously. I had my money in my bank account within 48 hours for most purchases. The fees were about comparable, and although there was a set-up fee with the company I got my CCMA from, they never charged me for it so I got over (thanks FirstData!). I had no troubles with it. Make sure you are using the highest level of security they provide for transactions though. Chargebacks are very expensive thru Authorize.net, and stolen CC #'s are all over the net. Be careful.

Can anyone tell me why i need a merchant account in order to proccess credit cards, why cant i just sign up for proccessing at worldpay for instance and then them deposit the money into my regular bank account???

Cheers

Dave

It might be my misuse of the terminology that has confused you. You have to have a way for the customers to use their charge cards. You have, as far as I understand it, two basic ways to do this. You can contact financial institutions directly and arrange for credit card processing or you can contact a company that acts as a go-between. The former is usually cheaper to use if you have a lot of orders because the rates are lower. The latter cost more but if you only have one order/month, initially, they are a much better bargain. With the former you will be accepting the cc info on your site and will process it directly. With the latter, you link the customer to the other companies site and the charge is performed there.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...
It might be my misuse of the terminology that has confused you.  You have to have a way for the customers to use their charge cards.  You have, as far as I understand it, two basic ways to do this.  You can contact financial institutions directly and arrange for credit card processing or you can contact a company that acts as a go-between.  The former is usually cheaper to use if you have a lot of orders because the rates are lower.  The latter cost more but if you only have one order/month, initially, they are a much better bargain.  With the former you will be accepting the cc info on your site and will process it directly.  With the latter, you link the customer to the other companies site and the charge is performed there.

Jack

MivMerchant has several credit card payment modules, including Credit Card Payment with Simple Validation. This module checks the validity of the credit card numbers/owner/expiration date. I am wondering if that is what the Credit Card module in osCommerce is?