• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO Assistant

Jack_mcs

If you post what you are trying to do and the entries you are using I will try it here to see if it fails on my installation.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Searching for my search terms and site aren't going to help you, as it is new. But when I search for the term "google" for www.google.com, I get the following errors, and no listings in top 10 for all search engines:

Unable to open remote file http://www.google.com/search?as_q=boat+par...ges&start=0.

Unable to open remote file http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=boat+...=0&count=20.

Unable to open remote file http://search.yahoo.com/search?_adv_prop=w...mp;n=100&b=.

When I do page rank for www.google.com, I get this error: Failed to read url: www.google.com

I could go on, but suffice it to say something is either wrong with the installation or something is blocking my site from contacting other sites. One thought I just had is, does this use SMTP for outgoing requests? Because my server does not currently have SMTP enabled.

Something is blocking it on your end. The code never gets to the point at which it really does anything because it can't connect to the site. You should contact your host and ask them why the open is failing.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

It started working on its own. I asked tech support about it, they said it should be working, then it worked. I have a feeling they did something, but have no idea. I do seem to have sporadic moments where one or the other of the tools don't work, but usually it works great. Love this contribution!

Hi,

I have the same problem but only with Google.

Yahoo and MSN are working fine but a search for Google returns Unable to open remote file...

Any idea why this only happens with Google?

Thanks.

There is a problem with the fopen call in some versions of php 5 (which I assume your server is using). The fix is to use curl instead. I've tested it here and it works but I haven't had time to integrate it into the code. Until that is done, that part of SEO Assistant won't work with google if running some versions of php 5.

Jack

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I have the same problem but only with Google.

Yahoo and MSN are working fine but a search for Google returns Unable to open remote file...

Any idea why this only happens with Google?

Thanks.

I suspect that the problem is the search query returning nothing?

I suspect that the problem is the search query returning nothing?

When I do the query in my browser I do get a result.

Still strange that it is only not working for Google.

Edited by Fure

There is a problem with the fopen call in some versions of php 5 (which I assume your server is using). The fix is to use curl instead. I've tested it here and it works but I haven't had time to integrate it into the code. Until that is done, that part of SEO Assistant won't work with google if running some versions of php 5.

Jack

Sorry, didn't see your post before.

Yes indeed, my host is using php5.

Is it much to change it to curl, could you post it here?

Edited by Fure

The curl code is just a few lines but it returns a string where the code is setup to handle an array. So it's that code that has to be converted and tested, which takes more time than I have right now.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Wonder if you could help I have two issues with SEO assistant. I had a test site all worked well however I have now moved it to the root folder and have some problems Firstly the Header Staus returns HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request but I have checked through several sights as my hosting company has done also and is shows HTTP Status Code - 200 OK . Not sure why this would be different.

Also with the Keyword density it just shows all HTML code and no actual text.

Any Ideas?

Better to be looked over than overlooked!

It might be something in the header of site that is confusing the code. I seem to recall this happening with a site early on. Please post your url and I will take a look at it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It might be something in the header of site that is confusing the code. I seem to recall this happening with a site early on. Please post your url and I will take a look at it.

Jack

Thanks Jack,

its www.mylittledarling.co.uk

Better to be looked over than overlooked!

Thanks Jack,

its www.mylittledarling.co.uk

Yes, it is failing the same way here so there is something in your code that the code in SEO Assistant can't handle, though it should be able to. When I get a chance, I will work on this, though I've no idea when that will be. Once I do, and if I find a fix, I will post it here.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 4 weeks later...

A new version has been uploaded with the following changes:

- Changed Google search condition in includes/modules/seo_google_position.php to work with their new code.

- Changed MSN search condition in includes/modules/seo_msn_position.php to work with their new code.

- Changed Get Header to return better results.

- Fixed layout problem in seo_assistant.php that affected how the page looked in FireFox.

The new google code probably needs some edits. I didn't know when I would be able to get back to it so thought it best to just go ahead and upload it as is. I have tested it on my site though and didn't find any problems.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...

A new version has been uploaded with the following changes:

- Changed Google search condition in includes/modules/seo_google_position.php to work with their new code.

- Changed MSN search condition in includes/modules/seo_msn_position.php to work with their new code.

- Changed Get Header to return better results.

- Fixed layout problem in seo_assistant.php that affected how the page looked in FireFox.

The new google code probably needs some edits. I didn't know when I would be able to get back to it so thought it best to just go ahead and upload it as is. I have tested it on my site though and didn't find any problems.

Jack

I am new for oscommerce and only know a little bit about it. I am trying to add some functions without my programer's help. could any one tell me where the seo_assistant.sql file is? how to do this step:2) Load the seo_assistant.sql file using phpmyadmin. You can alter the

file prior to uploading to start with your url and chosen search

word(s) if you like..

Please explain details.

Very thanks

• 4 weeks later...

google results are inaccurate and don't display results and page rank doesn't work with latest version. Also, support thread page listed on contribution download page leads nowhere.

The search results and page rank stopped working due to changes at google. I then uploaded a new version and they worked for a very short time before google made another change. I haven't had time to get back to it to see what they did so those are now broke again. The new forum software changed how the links worked. Apparently there isn't any redirection in the code to handle the old links so it fails.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 3 months later...

No, that is the only version available right now. Curl is easy to install and doesn't cost the host anything so you may want to ask your host to do so since it is being used more and more and is more secure overall.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 5 weeks later...

Just installed the latest version 2.2. When testing the " Check Links ", I get the following message:

Found 1 suspected bad link(s) out of a total of  32  

Broken Link: http://  

As you can see, it does not display the full link. So I am not able to check why it is broken.

Bennett

I don't see a reason why it would return that, unless that is the link. All I can suggest is you view the source of the page you are checking and search for http://. There will probably be a number of them but if you use the hightlight all of FF or IE 8, it can be done quickly. Or save the source to your computer and search it there.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons