• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO Assistant

Jack_mcs

Great contribution!!!!

Quick question really, regarding the key word density what is "Partial total" and when you say a recomended KD is around 6% is this inc or ex "Partial total" and "meta tags"?

Only I guess this makes a pretty large difference!

Thanks again!!!

Rich

That's great Richard. I haven't tested it but sounds like a good fix. Thanks for stepping in.

Jack

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Great contribution!!!!

Quick question really, regarding the key word density what is  "Partial total" and when you say a recomended KD is around 6% is this inc or ex "Partial total" and "meta tags"?

Only I guess this makes a pretty large difference!

Thanks again!!!

Rich

THe KD can be figured on the total number of words or in relation to the phase size. So if you have 16 3-word phases and one of them occurs 4 times, the ratio is 4/16 or .25%. It can be useful if you have a number of keywords that you are trying to rank for. Since you shouldn't use more than 2-3 keywords or phases per page anyway, this option is probably not that useful but is included just in case.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Just installed this fabulous contribution.

I do have a problem that has been highlighted already though...The google and yahoo position does not work..... I still have th eother contribution installed called google position which works fine. but for some reason i get nothing with the new one.. just a message saying

The site www.google.com is not in the top 127 for the term dance vinyl on Google

even though it is listed 40 in the list it produces...

any ideas anybody...

Thanks to Richard for the update, the links in the Google results now work properly and the Yahoo results work properly too.

It seems that its killed the history tracking though.

Ie the nice table that was created showing the use of the script and the position at that time seems to have died.

i believe you can force it over to the danish google by going into *catalog*/*admin*/includes/modules/seo_google_position.php, should be line 38 if you haven't edited it at all and are on the most recent version, and change the domain name in $filename to reflect the new google address... i'm not sure which extension is danish, but you would just change www.google.com to www.google.de or www.google.es or whatever, and it should work the same... it would be nice for a future release to see maybe a set of radio buttons in the interface that would allow you to toggle between some of the different googles or something :D

Hi Velveeta & Jack

Thanks, but there must be more to it than this. I changed to google.dk and compared a normal search in google.dk with the result from SEO ass. and they are not identical.

Doing the same with www.google.com i got identical result.

I tryed inspired by you to figure it out, and you are right - this is the place to change this

File to edit: catalog/admin/includes/modules/seo_google_position.php

This is what i changed to make it all danish - each section can then be changed to and from depending on search metod.

// $filename = "http://www.google.com/search?as_q=$query".

// next line changed to url denmark

$filename = "http://www.google.dk/search?as_q=$query".

// "&num={$hits_per_page}&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&btnG=Google+Search".

// next line changed to pages from denmark

"&num={$hits_per_page}&hl=da&ie=UTF-8&btnG=Google+Search".

// "&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=".

// next line changed to pages in danish language only

"&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=lang_da&as_ft=i&as_filetype=".

I looked at the german version of google search, and it works the same way.

So if this i correct it would be fairly easy to mage the selection country, and language dependent - but if anyone has an opinion on this you are more than velcome.

Christian

Just installed this fabulous contribution.

I do have a problem that has been highlighted already though...The google and yahoo position does not work..... I still have th eother contribution installed called google position which works fine. but for some reason i get nothing with the new one.. just a message saying

The site www.google.com is not in the top 127 for the term dance vinyl on Google

even though it is listed 40 in the list it produces...

any ideas anybody...

Ok the above problem is with the latest 3 files added to the contribution. The links are all there and work when you click on them but it doesnt give you your position.

Any ideas on this anyone...

There's now a new version (1.3.2) on the contribution page for this that will replace 3 files, seo_assistant.php in the root admin directory, and the 2 (google/yahoo) php files in the modules directory

Ok the above files do fix the links in the google position module.. The problem is it doesn't give you your google position...

Any ideas anybody

Edited by djmatrix

Ok the above problem is with the latest 3 files added to the contribution. The links are all there and work when you click on them but it doesnt give you your position.

Any ideas on this anyone...

Ive also found it creates errors in the link popularity tool. The solution is to use Jack`s last version for the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone got any problems with the Link popularity suddenly not working as of yesterday?

More specifically

Warning: implode(): Bad arguments. in /admin/includes/functions/seo_link_popularity.php on line 72

Has hotbot recently changed something to stop this working?

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone got any problems with the Link popularity suddenly not working as of yesterday?

More specifically

Warning: implode(): Bad arguments. in /admin/includes/functions/seo_link_popularity.php on line 72

Has hotbot recently changed something to stop this working?

Yes. :) I have been getting the same errors for a couple months now also. I figured I'd wait and it would clear itself up but no such luck. :D

Jack, do you know what could be wrong?

I don't have the problem. Are you using the edits that someone else posted here. I haven't tried them but someone else said they didn't work. You may try that.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

I have also been experiencing this problem on and off for the last couple of weeks, sometimes you get the error and sometimes you dont.

Warning: file(http://www.hotbot.com/default.asp?query=linkdomain%3Awww.24-7mobileaccessories.co.uk&ps=&loc=searchbox&tab=web&provKey=Inktomi): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Request Denied in /home2/mobiacc/public_html/admin/includes/functions/seo_link_popularity.php on line 77

Warning: implode(): Bad arguments. in /home2/mobiacc/public_html/admin/includes/functions/seo_link_popularity.php on line 77

This is line 77, maybe Hotbot are doing some changes.

$data = strtolower(strip_tags(implode("", file($path))));

The only update that I have done to this is the last one you released.

Any Ideas??

Thanks

Mark

Lifes a bitch, then you marry one, then you die!

It might be that HotBot is limitiing access.  Other than that, I can't say.

Jack

Is there a way to remove this hotbot thing as I am getting this error too. Surely if the Hotbot bit is removed the rest should still function?

Mogsta

In admin/includes/functions/seo_link_popularity.php, remove or comment out this section of code

// check HotBot
$path ="http://www.hotbot.com/default.asp?query=linkdomain%3A".$link_url."&ps=&loc=searchbox&tab=web&provKey=Inktomi";
if(!file_exists($path)) {
 $data = strtolower(strip_tags(implode("", file($path))));
 $data = substr($data, strpos($data, "results 1 - ")+11, strlen($data));
 $data = substr($data, 0, strpos($data, ")"));
 $data = trim(substr($data, strpos($data, "of")+3, strlen($data)));
 if(eregi("[[:alpha:]]", $data)) {
	 $results['hotbot'] = array('0', $path);
 } else {
	 $results['hotbot'] = array($data, $path);
	 $total+=str_replace(',', '', $data);
 }
} else {
 $results['hotbot'] = array('n/a', $path);
}

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jack,

I have found somthing that is not giving me true results.

"Google position results"

The site www.dvbhardware.com is not in the top 10 for the term invacom qph on Google.

::Results::

1 www.dvbhardware.com

2 www.dvbhardware.com

3 xxxxx.com

4 xxxxx.com

5 xxxxx.com

I cannot seem to find anything on the previous pages if this is an error that is being worked on.

Jimmy

I'm not a coder just a splicer.

I checked the placement with a different checker and it comes in at position 13.

Jack

The link you had just gave me I have position 1 ranking, I know it can change daily. What I was questioning is why in the admin OSC SEO Assistant is saying I am not in the top 10 when the SEO Assistiant list that I am in "show results".

Thanks

I'm not a coder just a splicer.

I would suspect these problems of the placement being different are to do with google. If you count the sub-listings (indented when viewing a google page), you get a different count than if you do not. SEO Assistant doesn't count the sub-listings as I recall.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

THe KD can be figured on the total number of words or in relation to the phase size. So if you have 16 3-word phases and one of them occurs 4 times, the ratio is 4/16 or .25%.  It can be useful if you have a number of keywords that you are trying to rank for. Since you shouldn't use more than 2-3 keywords or phases per page anyway, this option is probably not that useful but is included just in case.

Jack

Makes sense to me... but wouldn't this mean that a "partial total" and a regular total would return the same results for single keywords? (As described above, partial totals would compare the instances of a keyword to the total number of "one-word phrases", which is the same as comparing it to the total number of words, right?) The numbers don't turn out this way -- on my home page, the word "TCG" has a "partial" density of 14% and a regular density of 6%.

Also, just curious -- is there a general concensus on the issue of ideal keyphrase density? (Please specify regular or partial totals too!)

No, the two and three count keywords are counted separately so are not figured in the total that way. KD should, IMO, be between 5-7% for all words on the page.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 5 weeks later...

Great tool, very useful - only minor glitch is this:

Yahoo Position_Results 
The site www.niknakgroup.com is not in the top 100 for the term jewellery on Yahoo 

1 http://www.niknakgroup.com 

2 http://www.jewelry-jewellery.com 

3 http://www.jewellery-depo.com 

4 http://www.jlj-jewellery.co.uk 

5 http://www.jewellerycatalogue.co.uk 

6 http://www.shopsafe.co.uk

Ummmm. I hate to point out the obvious, but yes I am in the top 100 - I'm first! Why has the code not picked up my url position? I panicked when I thought I had dissappeared from Google just now - calmed down soemwhat when I found I had gone up from around 40th to 17th!

Like I say, just a minor glitch and one that nobody else seems to have reported...any ideas why I am getting this?

Anyway, great contrib, saves me lots of clicking around! Thx.

Please note - if I have suggested a contrib above, it doesnt mean it will work! Most of the contribs are not ones I've used, but may be useful for your particular problem....

Have you tried a refined search? Chances are your problem has already been dealt with elsewhere on the forums.....

if (stumped == true) {

return(square_one($start_over)

} else {

$random_query = tep_fetch_answer($forum_query)

}