• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO Assistant

Jack_mcs

Len - Umm, the message should show the url also. It appears the data is not being retrieved from your page. Try this to verify it:

Before the code you just changed (the if (! ($dens...) add the following:

$density_url = 'www.ideas-un-limited.co.uk';

and then try to check your density. What happens now?

Mark - I already have the code for Link Popularity checker mostly done. I'm having a problem with some of the code but should be uploading a new version sometime next week.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Mark - I plan on adding it although I haven't looked at what is required so I can't say for sure at this point.

Len - I'm glad it worked for you but that change was not a fix. It will only work for the one site. I can give the changes needed to make the rest of the contribution work too but, again, it would only be for the one site. I'm wondering if you have register_globals turned off in your php.ini file? I would think you would be having other problems too though. Still, it wouldn't hurt to contact your host and ask them if the option is set to on.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

As I am sure you are aware, the package you are using is not supported on these forums. You might want to try their forums. Maybe someone there can install it and find the problem.

Since it works fine with OSC it would seem the problem is either with how it was installed or with the package you are using. Try doing this to isolate the problem:

Go into your admin directory and rename seo_assistant.php to seo_assistant_orig.php

Then make a copy of file_manager.php and rename that copy to seo_assistant.php

Now try clicking on the SEO Assistant button.

The File Manager window should open. If it does then you have the link setup correctly. At that point you will need to edit the seo_assistant.php file to find what is stopping it from working.

Good luck,

Jack

Yes, I understand MS2-Max isn't supported, but since this was the forum thread, I figured I would question anyway. I did what you recommended and renamed couple different admin components, and all of them came up as normal. The only thing I can think of is if the tep_ commands have changed somewhat in the ms2-max edition somehow? It doesn't look like it is getting to the application_header.php line in the code.

Corey

koltz I am having the exact same problem and my OSC is the current version only modified with about 50 contributions and a few tweaks of my own. I tried re-installing it completely from scratch and I had the same result, even re-uploaded all of the files again. Mine comes to a completely white page with no source whatsoever, so Im thinking it is some kind of incompatability with either something I have installed or PHP. Im still messing with this problem so if anyone else figures it out please let us know on here.

Thanks in advance,

Kenneth Southern

ZDP Media Group Inc.

Kenneth S

--------------

Customer "Are you a real programmer?"

Me "No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night"

Problem executing script!

Warning: fopen(): URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration /path to/seo_google_position.php on line 44

I get several errors for the fopen() and then some for the fclose() statements

obviously the script fails to execute.

I take it that as everyone is singing the praises of this cointribution the error is with my configuration.

Does any one know what the problem is and how to fix it? Is it in php.ini or my apache conf files? or somewhere else.

many thanks

Chris

Chris - Check if the option "allow_url_fopen" is set to on in the php.ini file.

Corey/Kenneth - I would be surprised if a contribution is preventing this from working but it is possible. I would first try to isolate the problem though. Here is a very cut-down version containing only the page rank code. Copy the following and replace everything in the admin/seo_assistant.php file with it. It consists of the basic file structure (include column_left and the like), the php code at the top to figure the page rank and a section contined by

<!-- BEGIN RANK CODE -->  
<!-- END RANK CODE -->

If it works after you try this, then something else in the file is at fault. If it still fails, try removing the php code that is after the statement

require('includes/application_top.php');

and before the ?>. If it still fails after that, remove the section of html that is enclosed with the above BEGIN/END comments. At that point, all you have left is the basic code included with all such files and it has to work. Let me know how you make out.

<?php
/*
 $Id: SEO_Assistant.php,v 1.1 2004/08/07 22:50:52 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

$action_rank = (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['rank_url']) ? $HTTP_POST_VARS['rank_url'] : '');

if (tep_not_null($action_rank))	{
  require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . FILENAME_SEO_ASSISTANT);

$rank_url = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['rank_url']);
   if (! empty($rank_url)) {
    if (! ($pageRank = getPR($rank_url))) {
    $error = 'Failed to read url: '.$rank_url;
     $messageStack->add($error);
    }
    $prRating = array("Very poor","Poor","Below average","Average","Above Average","Good","Good","Very Good","Very Good","Excellent");
	 } 
  else
    $pageRank =''; 
}
?>

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html <?php echo HTML_PARAMS; ?>>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">
<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="includes/stylesheet.css">

</head>
<body marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" bottommargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<!-- header //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header.php'); ?>
<!-- header_eof //-->

<!-- body //-->
<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2">
 <tr>
   <td width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" valign="top"><table border="0" width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" class="columnLeft">
<!-- left_navigation //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_left.php'); ?>
<!-- left_navigation_eof //-->
   </table></td>
<!-- body_text //-->
   <td width="100%" valign="top"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
    <tr>

<!-- BEGIN RANK CODE -->    
   <tr> 
     <td width="10"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '10', '10'); ?></td>
       </tr>	
   <tr>
        <td><?php echo tep_black_line(); ?></td>
       </tr>
   <tr>
    <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
         <tr>
          <td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE_RANK; ?></td>
         </tr>      
       </table></td>
   </tr>    
   <tr>
     <td align="right" > <?php echo tep_draw_form('seotips', FILENAME_SEO_ASSISTANT, tep_get_all_get_params(array('action_rank')) . 'action_rank=' . $form_action, 'post' ); ?></td>
       </tr>          
    <tr> 
     <td width="10"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '10', '10'); ?></td>
       </tr>
   <tr class="infoBoxContents">
        <td><table border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2">
         <tr> 
      <td>Enter URL: </td>
          <td><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('rank_url', tep_not_null($searchurl) ? $searchurl : '', 'maxlength="255", size="40"',   false); ?> </td>
         <td ><?php echo (tep_image_submit('button_admin_get_page_rank.gif', IMAGE_GET_PAGE_RANK) ) . ' <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SEO_ASSISTANT, tep_get_all_get_params(array('action_rank'))) .'">' . '</a>'; ?></td>
     </tr> 
     <?php if (! empty($pageRank)) { ?>
     <tr>
     <td  >Page Rank:</td>
      <td ><?php echo sprintf("%d ( %s )",$pageRank, $prRating[(int)$pageRank]); ?> </td>
     </tr>   	 
     <?php } ?>
     </table></td>     
   </tr>          
     </form>
	 <!-- END RANK CODE --> 

</table></td>   
  </tr>
   </table></td>
<!-- body_text_eof //-->
 </tr>
</table>
<!-- body_eof //-->

<!-- footer //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'footer.php'); ?>
<!-- footer_eof //-->
<br>
</body>
</html>
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'application_bottom.php'); ?>

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Ok did what you said, I tried something similar earlier, but deleted

also, and didn't do anything. This time I left that in and deleted everything in between that and the ?> and it came up fine, of course it didn't work, but it came up. Now we have isolated it to the actual PHP code on top, is this something that you can look into? I am not familiar with the underlying of osCommerce, but know coding, the problem I have is not knowing the different tep commands.

Corey

Hi Jack

Thank s for the reply.

I did as you said and believe it or not the file open wrapper was missing from the PHP.INI

Nevertheless I have included it in the file now, and guess what.... It works a treat!

Thanks for a very useful contribution.

Chris :D

Corey - just try to delete parts of it till it displays correctly. As you already know, the code won't work but all you are looking for at this point is for it to display properly. I would suggest starting with the following. Leave the existing HTML code you already have working in there too.

CODE  
<?php
/*
$Id: SEO_Assistant.php,v 1.1 2004/08/07 22:50:52 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

// $action_rank = (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['rank_url']) ? $HTTP_POST_VARS['rank_url'] : '');

// if (tep_not_null($action_rank)) {
 require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . FILENAME_SEO_ASSISTANT);

// $rank_url = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['rank_url']);
 // if (! empty($rank_url)) {
 //  if (! ($pageRank = getPR($rank_url))) {
 //  $error = 'Failed to read url: '.$rank_url;
 //   $messageStack->add($error);
//   }
 //  $prRating = array("Very poor","Poor","Below average","Average","Above Average","Good","Good","Very Good","Very Good","Excellent");
// } 
// else
  // $pageRank =''; 
//}
?>

So all you have enabled are the two calls to include other files (note that the above should have // in front of each line except for the two mentioned but due to wrapping, one line doesn't show that). If it still fails, remove one of them and then the other till it works again. If it works with both in, then start un-commenting the other code by removing the slashes (//). Just watch that if you enable a line ending in { that you also enable its counterpart } further down.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

Just a quick thing for you guys i expect...

Not sure what i have done though...

When i click on seo assistant in the tools it comes up with a 404 not found page??

www.mydomain.com/admin/FILENAME_SEO_ASSISTANT

any ideas??

cheers,

edd

Corey - You've done went and confused me (obviously doesn't take much). ;) In an earlier post, you said"

also, and didn't do anything. This time I left that in and deleted everything in between that and the ?> and it came up fine, of course it didn't work, but it came up. Now we have isolated it to the actual PHP code on top, is this something that you can look into?
But the code I had commented out is all of the code from the top and now you are saying it is working. So, from your earlier post you said the HTML was working and now you say the php is working. There's not anything else. What am I missing?

Edd - Looks like you may have missed the step in the directions that state:

Add the following to admin/includes/filenames.php before the final ?>

define('FILENAME_SEO_ASSISTANT', 'seo_assistant.php');

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Just uploaded the update, its getting better every time!

However, One little problem and I am not sure whether its the contrib or me? :huh:

When checking link popularity it show 0 for Alta Vista where as if you click here it shows 12.

Also would it be possile to include Inktomi in the list??

Thanks

Mark

Lifes a bitch, then you marry one, then you die!

Mark - no idea ATM why the result isn't showing up. I'll have to look into it. I will add Inktomi if I can find the search string. They are different for many and the SE's change them periodically. I'll look into that too.

Edd - try typing in http://www.yoursite.com/admin/seo_assistant.php. It's saying it can't find the page so you need to make sure the file is in the correct directory.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack, Sorry that is my fault, I went back and saw that yesterday and noticed the script, but didn't actually put 2 and 2 together to come out that you were talking to me. I thought you meant the original script that I downloaded which I removed the code from. But yes, the code that you had me use instead still brought up the page fine, but whenever I type a URL in PageRank, it gives me an error which I am guessing it is supposed too.

Corey

I will try the update just in case that might have fixed the problem.

Jack,

Installed ver 1.2, it comes up fine now, but I don't think anything works. Here is what I get for each try:

Search Engine Position:

I get this on top-

Unable to open remote file http://www.google.com/search?as_q=enter+se...=images&start=0.

Unable to open remote file http://search.yahoo.com/search?_adv_prop=w...&fl=0&n=100&b=1.

And this displays -

Google Position Results

The site www.8bitclassics.com.com is not in the top 10 for the term enter search word(s) on Google

Yahoo Position_Results

The site www.8bitclassics.com.com is not in the top 10 for the term enter search word(s) on Yahoo

Page Rank:

Failed to read url: www.8bitclassics.com (actually does that for any URL I type)

Link Popularity:

Nothing, just refreshes the screen.

Keyword Density:

Screen goes blank.

I followed the 1.1 to 1.2 update instructions to install.

Corey

Jack,

Installed ver 1.2, it comes up fine now, but I don't think anything works.  Here is what I get for each try:

Search Engine Position:

I get this on top-

Unable to open remote file http://www.google.com/search?as_q=enter+se...=images&start=0.

Unable to open remote file http://search.yahoo.com/search?_adv_prop=w...&fl=0&n=100&b=1.

And this displays -

Google Position Results

The site www.8bitclassics.com.com is not in the top 10 for the term enter search word(s) on Google 

Yahoo Position_Results

The site www.8bitclassics.com.com is not in the top 10 for the term enter search word(s) on Yahoo

I'm not sure why you are getting the unable to open message. I suspect it is a setting in your php.ini file as mentioned before. But since you are not using OSC I cannot help anymore than that. However, the results you are getting show that you are using "enter search word(s)" for your search phase. That is not how to use the tool. That phase is there by default indicating that you have to enter a phase to search for. It is very, very unlikely that you will be ranked for the phase "enter search word(s)" and, if you are, you are making a very bad mistake with regards to SEO. Also, it shows you entered www.8bitclassics.com.com for the url. I would think it should be www.8bitclassics.com.

Can't comment on any of the other things. I would like to help but since you are not using OSC, I would be wasting my time trying to guess what is going on. It works fine with OSC.

Good luck,

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons