• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO Assistant

Jack_mcs

Hello Jack, I use google.es for my language spanish. If I search "carretes de pesca" in google.es my webpage is number 2:

http://www.google.es/search?hl=es&q=ca...oogle&meta=

but if I use this contribution and search the same words and the same web, the result: is not in the top 100 for the term carretes de pesca on Google, I must to changed everything to spanish google?? Thanks

It only searches in English. The code needs to be changed to search in a difference language and I haven't had time to do that. Although, I think, it was posted in this thread if you want to amke the change.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 3 weeks later...

Yahoo works fine. MSN worked fine after changing conditions to <cite> </cite>. Google still does not work even with the new conditions...

???

Google

The site www.thesebweb.com is not in the top 10 for the term koonuki wear on Google

MSN

The site www.thesebweb.com is at position 1 ( 1 ) for the term koonuki wear on msn

1 www.thesebweb.com

Yahoo

The site www.thesebweb.com is at position 1 ( 1 ) for the term koonuki wear on Yahoo

1 www.thesebweb.com

Once again I have chekced the URL it uses to search Google, and it does appear in position 1, as expected...

I know there have been problems with this previously, but Google definitely use the <cite> </cite> thing, but using this doesn't work?????

osCommerce is GREAT. When it works...

I test it here and it showed you to be in position 6 on google. I then checked google and you were at position 6. Google has many data centers and which one the code uses is determined by google. You may be getting a data center that doesn't have you listed, or at a low posiiton. It might also be that google was busy when you tried it. I've seen that happen a few times. Running it again will usually show the expected result.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I test it here and it showed you to be in position 6 on google. I then checked google and you were at position 6. Google has many data centers and which one the code uses is determined by google. You may be getting a data center that doesn't have you listed, or at a low posiiton. It might also be that google was busy when you tried it. I've seen that happen a few times. Running it again will usually show the expected result.

Jack

That seems unlikely, given that the word "koonuki" only returns results related to my store, with the exception of one other website... and yet it won't even appear "in the top 1000"... but I'll take your word for it since you are using the same code and getting a result. Cheers.

osCommerce is GREAT. When it works...

I have the same problem with Google & MSN results.

I get:

Google

The site www.magnet4less.com is not in the top 50 for the term ceramic magnets on Google

MSN

The site www.magnet4less.com is not in the top 50 for the term ceramic magnets on msn

Yahoo

The site www.magnet4less.com is at position 8 ( 5 ) for the term ceramic magnets on Yahoo

I am actually #1 page 1 on Google and #8 page1 on MSN.

Any ideas?

Your PM said you could see your site in google when using my site to test so it must be a data center situation. You are probably connecting to a different data center than I am, thus the difference. The code can be setup to handle the different data centers but google has been known to change those IP's, which would make maintainig it a problem. Plus, as far as I know, not all of the data centers are known. So, if that is the problem, there's nothing to be done as far as the code is concerned. Eventually, in theory anyway, allof googles data centers will sync up with regards to a particular shop. Once that happens, you should get about the same results eash time.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You are probably connecting to a different data center than I am, thus the difference.

Jack,

Can you tell me why I would be connecting to a different data center than you?

Seems a shame to not get results from google with your great script when they are the most important of the 3.

thanks,

Jon

Edited by Jon53

Google maintains a number of data centers. Estimates to how many there are vary and google won't say. But the prevailing guess is that there are around 40 of them. Each data center is, roughly, in charge of handling specific areas, although that is not fixed and they will roam to other areas. Every once in a while, the databases of all of the data centers are merged, although I'm sure not at once. From all of that, google determines where your shop should rank. Now, if data center A visits your site, it will compare what it finds with all of the sites in its database and decide where you should rank, maybe at position 5. Then if data center B visits your site, it will do the same but it will compare your site against the sites in its databases and maybe come up with position 3. When you dial up google to search for your site, google determines which database to route your request to. They do that partially on where you are located, partially on how busy the data centers are and paritally on other things that no one knows of (except google). So if you go to google and check your position, the result will probably be consistent since google is controlling where you go. When you do it through a program like this one, the result is not always the same, possibly because of your servers IP. The code in SEO Assistant can be changed to dial a specific IP but I haven't had the time nor inclination to make that change. Eventually, all of the data centers will sync up and you'll get the same results.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

I tried

Enter total searches: 10

Enter search term: google

Enter URL to search for: www.google.com

and got

Google

The site www.google.com is not in the top 10 for the term google on Google

MSN

The site www.google.com is not in the top 10 for the term google on msn

Yahoo

The site www.google.com is at position 1 ( 1 ) for the term google on Yahoo

1 www.google.com

I tried it hear and got the expected results. It might be that you have an older version or they were busy at the time.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I tried it hear and got the expected results. It might be that you have an older version or they were busy at the time.

Jack

SEO Assistant V 2.1

They must be very busy, I have tried 15 times and cannot get a response from google or MSN. Yahoo works.

Is possible that it is because I am in Australia?

I tried

and got

Google

MSN

Yahoo

1 www.google.com

Yup...Seems this add-on does not work for most.....just for some like Jack... :angry:

Wish I knew of a way to connect to the same data center Jack is to actually get results for Google (the most important search engine).

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Jack.....

All is working except the msn index position.

For those of you with the fclose error.

"Unable to open remote file http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Yamaha+R...ges&start=0.

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/xxxx/admin/includes/modules/seo_position.php on line 110"

My server has this option turned off by default but can be allowed by adding this line to the .htaccess file.

php_flag allow_url_fopen on

It may be a fix for some of you...... hth

For those of you with the fclose error.

"Unable to open remote file http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Yamaha+R...ges&start=0.

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/xxxx/admin/includes/modules/seo_position.php on line 110"

My server has this option turned off by default but can be allowed by adding this line to the .htaccess file.

php_flag allow_url_fopen on

It may be a fix for some of you...... hth

My webhost does not allow it to be over rided, so I test from wamp to the shop.

I tried

and got

Google

MSN

Yahoo

1 www.google.com

I got this error when i tried the above search

Unable to open remote file http://www.google.com/search?as_q=google&a...ges&start=0.

Unable to open remote file http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=googl...=0&count=20.

Unable to open remote file http://search.yahoo.com/search?_adv_prop=w...mp;n=100&b=.

does anybody know how to fix this?

Looks like your host is blocking the code that reads in the sites. Talking to them about it may find a solution.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

In admin/includes/modules/seo_msn_position.php file, change
$conditions = "<li class=\"dispUrl\">(.*)</li>";

to

$conditions = "<ul class=\"sb_meta\"><li><cite>(.*)</cite>";

I read back several pages and found the fix for msn.

Great contribution Jack.....Thanks

Edited by B-Hoff

• 4 weeks later...

Any ideas what this means?

Warning: call_user_func(tep_reset_cache_data_seo_urls) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home/tiffany9/public_html/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 1195

It doesn't seem to be affecting anything though!?

That's not a function in this contribution. It is from Ultimate SEO so you will need to ask in that support thread.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 4 months later...

I have installed version 2.1 of this contribution, but it wont work for me. I get the following errors:

Unable to open remote file http://www.google.com/search?as_q=discount...ges&start=0.

Unable to open remote file http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=disco...=0&count=20.

Unable to open remote file http://search.yahoo.com/search?_adv_prop=w...mp;n=100&b=.

I tried the htaccess/fopen fix, but that didn't work, it just gave me a 500 internal server error. Any suggestions?

Your host may not allow fopen calls. This question has come up many times and, as I recall, there is more than one fix/suggestion. So you may want to read through the whole thread, if you have not done so.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I looked all the way back through, and it did remind me to check the allow_fopen status in OSC tools, but no other hints. fopen is allowed, so could there be another problem?