• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Terfex.com

Terfexdotcom

With all due respect, give the guy a break!  Some of are new to this, so a little praise from more experienced members of the community means a lot to us.  We read it, digest it and work from there.

So, we can't all strip OSC down and rework it how we would like, but we can make the smaller, more subtle changes that WE like the look of.  We know it's not going to be everyones cup of tea or up to the standards other members are expecting, but we all have to start somewhere.  Didn't you?

The "basic" design of the site is not always what we ask to review.  Colour schemes, content, spelling mistakes are sometimes picked up on and I know personally how difficult it is to see mistakes made in ones own copy.

All we ask for is a little patience...please!

He is right, i never looked at it that way, sorry AfterDark. I wasnt wanting my layout reviewed more my site beta tested to pick up on bugs as I have changed a few things like checking out etc. Basically i wanted to see everything is functional and no spelling mistakes. As you can see above Afterdark there were errors picked up on so this has been very helpful to me, even though I had stock install.

Cheers Delicata.

Whats the URL of your store AfterDark?

---------------------------------

Duncan Jones

My Store? LOL

This is mine:

www.adultmovietime.net

I ususally build them for other people with my partner Yesudo...

I'm sure I could point you to a few people here who have one of "my" stores....

Duncan, you need to appreciate that when you ask for critisism, you will get it. I'm not here to slag the efforts of those who are just getting started. Not my intent at all. What I do try to do tho is point out that not many people actually go beyond taking the work of others (stock osc and some pre fabbed contributions), installng it / them and then jumping up and asking to be praised for the "effort". Or what I see as a lack thereof....

Sorry if I offended... but you asked for us to "be harsh"...

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Ok.. here is my harsh critique....

Your use of hidden CSS text which you are using to try and get better results for your search hits may end up costing you site traffic in the end....

What am I referring to?

<h1 class="toptitle2">Terfex.com - Online Superstore! Backpacks - Gifts, Buy, Products, Cheap, Quality, Shop, </h1>

Now normally this wouldnt be a bad idea to do.. however... the class toptitle2 uses the hidden classification in CSS thus making it not visible to your site visitors -but- it is the first piece of text that the search spiders will pick up and use for indexing...

Here is the reality of it all... Search spiders.. especially the likes of google which is one of the 3 big players in the search game will sabd box your URL once they discover the hidden tag.

My advice to you would be to use other methods (approved methods) for your SEO. One such piece of advise would be to create a sitemap page with links to your products individually using peoper keyword phrases for the links. Another suggestion would be to create an HTML page for each of your products or at least those products that typically get good seach traffic based on the keyword...

I would make the HTML pages static and simply ad the product image - the description and a button allowing the user to buy it now. (you can check on the product categories you have now to see what the actual add to cart link is)

I would then use the sitemap to have the links to those HTML product pages...

This is just some friendly advice of someone who has been there.. done that... and seen a PR8 & PR7 site go to PR0's over night once the search engines discovered the magic trick.

Best regards ~

A Happy Pet is a Healthy Pet

and just so I dont get a response like.. what are you talking baout.. I didnt do that or how did you know it was used...

To cover the first one... this is the actual style for toptitle2

.toptitle2 {visibility: hidden; font-size:0px;}

Secondly... If you notice that your homepage is about 3/4 of an inch pushed down from the top of the viewable page.. where as your sub pages are standard top aligned... that would be clue #1

There are many tell tale signs and trust me when I tell you.. they will be picked up on... :blink:

Sorry if I offended... but you asked for us to "be harsh"...

Cheers.  :thumbsup:

He is right, i never looked at it that way, sorry AfterDark.

Obviously im not offended just asked how the first post was constructive, thanks for elaborating on it.

- Duncan

Duncan Jones

I would suggest the following:

1) Remove 76485 requests since Friday 28 May, 2004 - dont give competitors that info.

2) Remove some of the text from the frontpage onto other pages - there is a lot there to digest for customers.

3) Nice FAQ - there is an FAQ contrib which may be easier if you want to change entries in the FAQ in the future.

4) Date limit the new products section - there is a contrib for this.

5) Format the cats in this page (e.g. 1 per line) as this page will appear in search engines and maybe a customer's first view of your store:

http://www.terfex.com/allcategories.php

6) don't let stock osc colour dictate the colour of your logo - should be other way around.

But these are just my opinions.

AfterDark - play nice please - i'd hate to have to get the whip out again. :(

Your online success is Paramount.

Ok.. here is my harsh critique....

Your use of hidden CSS text which you are using to try and get better results for your search hits may end up costing you site traffic in the end....

Hmm, got this technique from these forums, didnt think there was anyway that Google could find out but ill take your word for it.

Am changing this tonight.

Heres a link which changes your product pages to have the product information at the top, it does this legally and no search engine will bar you for doing it. I reccom,end every site does it -

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105994

Duncan Jones

I would suggest the following:

INSERT LOTS OF GREAT IDEAS HERE

But these are just my opinions.

Thanks heaps, you seemed to look at all the things i wouldnt even think about looking into. Ill make the changes you suggested tonight. FAQ is free to steal for anyone by the way (if it applies to your site) :P

Duncan Jones

I was playing around at your site and noticed this....

Pocket Knife - 7 Function  $4.99

Pocket Knife - 7 Function

Click to enlarge

Royal Crest� 7-function Knife. This handy little red knife features: small cutting blade, tweezers, toothpick, nail file, nail cleaner, scissors and key ring. It measures 2-1/4" closed, has AISI 420J2 surgical stainless steel blades, and comes with a special pouch. Lifetime warranty.

Buy In Quantity: (shipping charges for just one knife - 0.12)

1 Knife - $1.99

2 Knives - $3.79

5 Knives - $8.99

10 Knives - $17.99

20 Knives - $29.99

36 Knives (in box) - $30.95

100 Knives - $149.99

(Weight: 0.12 pounds)

Available Options:

Now I add it to my car as 100pc , then as 36 pc

And this is what I get...

- Number 100 Knives

$152.99

- Number 36 Knives

$33.95

Hummmmm?? Something wrong there. You might want to check that out. Just wanted to make you aware. :-"

Hummmmm?? Something wrong there. You might want to check that out. Just wanted to make you aware.

A perfect example of why even stock stores need reviews.

I was playing around at your site and noticed this....

Now I add it to my car as 100pc , then as 36 pc

And this is what I get...

Hummmmm?? Something wrong there. You might want to check that out. Just wanted to make you aware.  :-"

Must have pushed a 4 making the original price 4.99 not 1.99, woops. Man ive made so many mistakes! :blink:

Duncan Jones

http://www.terfex.com/product_info.php?products_id=264

look at the bottom of the page

i get this

"1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax near 's Set', 'http://www.terfex.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=fish')' at line 1

insert into user_tracking (customer_id, full_name, session_id, ip_address, time_entry, time_last_click, last_page_url, page_desc, referer_url) values ('', 'Guest', 'bb71e7ec737f86fb89b5701c6cf3dfaa', '194.154.183.130', '1098870170', '1098870170', '/product_info.php?products_id=264', 'Fisherman's Set', 'http://www.terfex.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=fish')

[TEP STOP]"

Archived