• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Non-taxable

Sam Hobbs

Everything (at least initially) in my site is non-taxable and I now have osCommerce working the way I need it to but I want to make sure I understand how I should have done it. What I did do is to simply delete the tax (for Florida) that was created automatically by installation.

So just to make sure I am clear, none of my items are taxable. So I left the taxes to none for each product (service actually). Yet I got taxes anyway. So I tried to find previous answers in these forums. I think the answer is that I should create a non-taxable type.

It seems strange to me that there is not a non-taxable type installed during installation. Am I correct that I should create a non-taxable type and that that type is not automatically created?

Thank you.

I missed that. However it sure is not clear to me; for me, saying "prices will not display with tax" is not the same as saying that a tax will not be applied. So is that what it is (also) saying? Is it saying that with a value of "false", that there will not be any tax applied?

Everything (at least initially) in my site is non-taxable and I now have osCommerce working the way I need it to but I want to make sure I understand how I should have done it. What I did do is to simply delete the tax (for Florida) that was created automatically by installation.

So just to make sure I am clear, none of my items are taxable. So I left the taxes to none for each product (service actually). Yet I got taxes anyway. So I tried to find previous answers in these forums. I think the answer is that I should create a non-taxable type.

It seems strange to me that there is not a non-taxable type installed during installation. Am I correct that I should create a non-taxable type and that that type is not automatically created?

If you are not going to have any taxable products on your site you can go to

admin->locations/taxes->tax classes and delete the taxable goods entry. If you only want some of your products non-taxable you can choose the tax class when you enter the product in your site. Right above the price is tax class, just put none for the products that you do not want to be taxed.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

What I did do is to simply delete the tax (for Florida) that was created automatically by installation.

If you are not going to have any taxable products on your site you can go to

admin->locations/taxes->tax classes? and delete the taxable goods entry.

I think that is what I did do; is that documented somewhere as being what I should do in that situation?

If you only want some of your products non-taxable you can choose the tax class when you enter the product in your site. Right above the price is tax class, just put none for the products that you do not want to be taxed.

That is what I did initially when I was getting taxed unexpectedly. I had not yet changed the taxes in any way and I left the tax class as none, yet I got taxed anyway.

Sam,

From http://www.oscommerce.info/kb?search=tax

This one http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/A...nfiguration/156

states a little bit about tax:

1. Zone -> The state or zone the store is located. This is necessary to setup for taxes later.

2. Tax Decimal Places Display Prices with Tax -> Set to "false" and prices will not display with tax. Set to "true" and prices will display with tax.

Peter

Sam,

From http://www.oscommerce.info/kb?search=tax

This one http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/A...nfiguration/156

states a little bit about tax:

1. Zone -> The state or zone the store is located. This is necessary to setup for taxes later.

2. Tax Decimal Places Display Prices with Tax -> Set to "false" and prices will not display with tax. Set to "true" and prices will display with tax.

Peter

Yes, thank you. I already commented on that; see above.

The mistake you made was to delete the Florida Tax before you understood how the tax system worked.

You should have set up another class and studied the existing system (Florida) then you'd have few questions.

Local: Mac OS X 10.5.8 - Apache 2.2/php 5.3.0/MySQL 5.4.10 • Web Servers: Linux

Tools: BBEdit, Coda, Versions (Subversion), Sequel Pro (db management)

Then probably the description shown in the "My Store" update screen is misleading; when updating the "Display Prices with Tax", the description of it says:

Display prices with tax included (true) or add the tax at the end (false)

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem.

I have deleted all tax info and taxes are still being applied.

Can someone please tell me how to clear all tax info.

I want to start over again, but it appears that there are still taxes in the DB.

Please help.

Chris

The mistake you made was to delete the Florida Tax before you understood how the tax system worked.

You should have set up another class and studied the existing system (Florida) then you'd have few questions.

I don't know if I saw this back in August but if I did I don't know why I did not reply.

I do read documentation and such. I have been in your position many times in which I have told others to read the documentation. In this situation, I did try to read the documentation before posting my question. I am sorry I did not read the osCommerce documentation as thoroughly as I could have.

I know how easy it is to be critical. I hope that when I am in the position of telling someone to read the documentation, I am understanding of the usefulness of the documentation. If the material is hard to find in the documentation, then I should tell someone where to look for the answers.

I really think that in this situation, it is too easy to do the wrong thing (delete the Florida Tax) while the correct answer is too obscure. I think it is entirely possible for some (more) explanations to exist right in the page that they apply to.

I have deleted all tax info and taxes are still being applied.

Can someone please tell me how to clear all tax info.

I am not experienced enough with osCommerce (I asked the question) to help much more but I think you will be able to figure it out from what has been said in this thread (discussion) and from the documentation.

I have read all over the place and I have not seen any posts that address this.

This was the closest I have found to my problem.

It seems that in all of the trial and error attemps that I have made OSC has not deleted the information.

I simple want to clear the db and start over. I know how to set up the taxes now. but I cannot get rid of the old info. Its gone from the menu but still being applied to sales.

Archived