osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google position contribution

funkyneil

Hi all,

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...l/search,google

has anyone used this before?

I'm getting error messages that read like this

Warning: fopen("http://www.google.com/search?as_q=mysitename&num=10&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images&start=0", "r") - Success in /home/mysitename/public_html/catalog/admin/google_position.php on line 72

Unable to open remote file http://www.google.com/search?as_q=mysitena...=images&start=0. Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in /home/mysitename/public_html/catalog/admin/google_position.php on line 130

I'm the author and I tested it in two different shops before uploading. Did you create the database table? The posted error shows the search term to be mysitename. What words and url are you using to test it? You can send these to me via email if you prefer not posting it here. I can't imagine it would make a difference but that's all I can think of ATM.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I installed it about 15 minutes ago and it works as advertised. I did not find any bugs or errors in the instructions and it executes properly. I may not like the results ;) but this contribution works just fine.

B)

I'm the author and I tested it in two different shops before uploading.  Did you create the database table?  The posted error shows the search term to be mysitename.  What words and url are you using to test it?  You can send these to me via email if you prefer not posting it here.  I can't imagine it would make a difference but that's all I can think of ATM. 

Jack

I copied the error message and replaced the actual www.site name.com with "my site name" before posting.

I've got the table in there, here's the export so you can see it

#
CREATE TABLE `google` (
?`date` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
?`search_url` varchar(100) default NULL,
?`search_term` varchar(50) default NULL,
?`rank` int(4) default '0',
?`sites_searched` tinyint(4) default '0',
?`show_results` tinyint(4) default '0'
) TYPE=MyISAM;

#
# Dumping data for table `google`
#

INSERT INTO `google` VALUES ('2004-08-11 14:59:44', 'www.mysite.co.uk', 'fashion', 99999, 10, 1);
? ?

I will go back and check I've followed all instructions properly and then i will post back my findings / success

Edited by funkyneil

Hi Jack B)

I have this working in my store, works fine.

A little suggestion for the next release, what about adding a number of searchwords, and getting a report per word. WOuld be hlpful if it you could also search Yahoo, Lycos etc. etc.

Regards

Raj Bangar

SimplySpice

7) Add the following to admin/includes/boxes/tools.php before the final ?>

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_GOOGLE_POSITION) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_GOOGLE_POSITION . '</a><br>' .

i think this bit may have caught me out, i put it before the ?> but then an echo before and ; after that cos it didn't make sense

Drop the google table out of the database and run the original sql file again.

It might have something to do with you inserting 99999

where the `rank` int(4) default '0',

I could be wrong!

Mark

Lifes a bitch, then you marry one, then you die!

She canna tek it capan

she dunner av te powah capan

same errors again I'm afriad

Theoretically if its working for everyones else I must not have followed the instructions properly, but i have just done it twice in a row now :|

The '99999' is in the contribution's SQL instruction

Step 7 should be changed to read so that you enter the link in admin/includes/boxes/tools.php on the line just BEFORE the last existing entry, not before the closing ?> (the last entry before the closing ?> ends with a right parenthesis and a semi-colon)

Other than that, it seems to work fine in my installation

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

try being a Foster Parent!

Hi there,

I get the same errormessage as "funkyneil" , i have not done the total errorcheck runthrough yet....but initially because some get it and some dont.....i would hazzard a guess that it is conected to if you have your admin in ssl or not.....

Mine is in ssl ......

Just tested with and without ssl , same error message..... Well that just means i have to look harder....lol

Unless someone out there already has found a solution?

She canna tek it capan

she dunner av te powah capan

same errors again I'm afriad

Theoretically if its working for everyones else I must not have followed the instructions properly, but i have just done it twice in a row now :|

As Stuart mentioned, there is a mistake in step 7. It says

7) Add the following to admin/includes/boxes/tools.php before the final ?>

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_GOOGLE_POSITION) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_GOOGLE_POSITION . '</a><br>' .

This is not correct. It should be
7) Find the line in admin/includes/boxes/tools.php that reads

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_FILE_MANAGER) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_FILE_MANAGER . '</a><br>' .

and insert the following code after it:

Sorry for the confusion. Make this correction and see if that helps.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack B)

I have this working in my store, works fine.

A little suggestion for the next release, what about adding a number of searchwords, and getting a report per word. WOuld be hlpful if it you could also search Yahoo, Lycos etc. etc.

Regards

Raj Bangar

SimplySpice

Thanks for the suggestion Raj.

Each unique search word is recorded in the database. Putting a dropdown list to display them is probably a good idea.

I've got the code for Yahoo but haven't had time to implement it yet.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I just tried checking your location using my shop and it came back at position 1. Are you using ssl in admin like someone else suggested? Did you see the change I made to step 7?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I just tried checking your location using my shop and it came back at position 1. Are you using ssl in admin like someone else suggested? Did you see the change I made to step 7?

Jack

Thanks for your help.

I checked step 7 and it is done correctly. The same error occurs when using ssl or not.

Any further suggestions are appreciated.

Google Position

The site motorcycle.com is not in the top 10 for the term motorcycle

?

This is not true.

This contribution causes very specific results to be returned. If you look for thisdomain.com and the Google results are www.thisdomain.com, you will get an answer that it's not in the top 'X' results even if it appears as #1 when you do the search on Google

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

LOLOL :lol:

I've been accused before of making a good point null ;)

Ahh, yes. Stuart makes a good point Null. Did you type in www.motorcycle.com or motorcycle.com?

Jack

I tried it both ways - www.motorcycle.com and motorcycle.com.

Something is not working properly as the error message:

Unable to open remote file http://www.google.com/search?as_q=motorcyc...=images&start=0.

appears at the top of the page.

If I cut and paste the link directly into another browser window, the correct google page is called up.

What causes this error message to appear?

Thanks.