• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Put main body of page before column_left

mugitty

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello gang, I wish to pointout that you can easily accomplish having main body render in a browser and to SE ahead of both left and right columns using STS preferably along with CSS.

1. Create store template in sts_template.html where you call up your center or main body column before the left and right columns.
  2. You can go further and style each of your store pages as explained in the STS contribution.

• 4 months later...

Cool this, thanks.

But with mozzila I now have an oversized gap between my header and 3 main colums. Anyone else notice that when doing this? or even better anyone notice that and then fix it?

Sites in my profile

Not yet as I only installed it yesterday but have a look at this:

http://www.sitening.com/tools/seo-analyzer/index.php

It has a good facility for seeing what your pages look like to a bot. Very useful tool and the best of its type that Ive seen.

If you put some of your target keywords in anchor text links to parts of your shop in the middle table in index.php it has to help that they come higher in the page.

Cool this, thanks.

But with mozzila I now have an oversized gap between my header and 3 main colums. Anyone else notice that when doing this? or even better anyone notice that and then fix it?

Sites in my profile

Fixed this now, was me being an idiot

• 4 weeks later...

:D

oh my god thats beautiful

btw - it works real easy with BTS - which is what my CREloaded based site uses...

simply edit the mainpage.tpl file...

it might take a few goes to get it to work, but its worth it -

trust me - you ALWAYS want your main content at the top of the page - especially for your product pages..

this will help you when people are searching for specific products rather than broad category based stuff..

don't forget to change page titles to <h1> tags and you are really laughing...

just got to get some page rank then :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the idea. I've been looking for a way to do that.

One problem, though... The spacing between the header and the left and right columns seems to vary from page to page. I haven't figured out what is behind the variance, but it varies so much that I really can't use it as is. Is there a reason why the cell size would be dependent on the contents of the main body?

Has anyone else experienced that problem?

• 5 months later...

I was wondering if this was possible! What should the code look like if we have removed the right column by deleting the code mentioned below. Thanks

<!-- body_text_eof //-->
//CODE FOR RIGHT COLUMN REMOVED BELOW
<td width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" valign="top"><table border="0" width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
<!-- right_navigation //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_right.php'); ?>
<!-- right_navigation_eof //-->
</table></td>
//END CODE FOR RIGHT COLUMN REMOVED
 </tr>
</table>
<!-- body_eof //-->

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old post but I'm trying to duplicate this. So for testing, I just created a small html file in Dreamweaver.

I can't get the columns to show up properly.

there are 3 columns, first row left column blank, center has a bunch of text in it, right column has more text

The row 2 left column gets push down based on the size of row1 center column text. Yes, I have the TD height="0"

What am I doing wrong. I'm displaying in firefox and IE.

• 5 months later...

All working except for 2 white spaces on top of column_right and colum left.

Ref:

<!-- body_text_eof //-->
   <td height="0" width="160" valign="top"> . </td>
 </tr>
 <tr>
   <td width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" valign="top"><table border="0" width="160" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"> .

I marked the code with a point (.) where the white spaces appear.

Also changed to height="0".

Archived