• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Order Numbers

craigglawson

When OSC assigns orders a number, its always 1, 2, or 3.

I want to be able to have order numbers that start with 8 zero's, and the order numbers increment from there, or for the order ref's to be alphabetical.

Any help?

Craig

... Too close for missiles, I'm switching to guns ...

I have the same need.

The answer is at http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/Tips_and_Tricks/31

But, I have no idea how to executed an SQL query with MySQL. I am on a shared hosting server. Everything is well except for making this change.

Can someone give me (us) some kind of step by step instructions on how to perform this operation?

Thanks so much,

Steve

the customers do not see the order number until after the order is processed, so it is kind of a moot point, only one which you know and the customer sees after the order is gone.

to change the order # you have to change the order_id in the orders table to whatever number you want.

You can run your SQL statement on your database in several ways:

1) Use a tool which has a web interface that you can install on your website: e.g. PhpMyAdmin (www.phpmyadmin.net)

2) Create a simple php script yourself with the command in it, upload it to your website, and run it.

3) This is probably the easiest. If your host allows it, you can connect via Telnet (or the more secure SSL) and run the MySQL command directly on your host server in a "DOS" like command window. A good free SSL client is PuTTY. Ask your host are SSL connections supported.

I use a combination of all 3, but if you can get it working, PhpMyAdmin is indispensable in working with OsCommerce

Darren

I downloaded and installed phpMyAdmin, and used that to change the numbers. Whoa, look at all that database info...now we're cookin'... glad I looked into that. You're right, phpMyAdmin will be indispensable in working with OsCommerce. Thanks for the other info too.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am new to oscommerce and just began building my shopping cart few weeks ago.

Currently, i am trying to generate random order numbers with alpahabets in front...like LZ0001. I tried the Robust Random Order Number contributed by Author: Richard Bentley. However, whenever i go to admin orders, i can't edit the orders or view the invoice/packing list as the product qty will always be zero.

Can someone pls advise me on what to do? :)

BTW, Thank you very much for everyone's contribution to Oscommerce! Its really been a great help to me! :D