• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Let loose the dogs of war!

mark27uk3

Hi Guys,

Please go through my store like a dose of the c**p and let me know anything and everything that you think I could improve on.

I still have a lot more products to add.

I am suffering from brain drain and can not think/see what else I need to do! :blink:

Thanks

Mark

This is my site here

Lifes a bitch, then you marry one, then you die!

Folks, that snazzy Javascript category menu is blank as white for someone (like me) who has Javascript disabled. It seems to be an increasingly popular control, which is surprising since it is always a bad idea to make site navigation dependent on Javascript.

Interesting, clean layout... Not having all the blocks makes it look non-osCommerce-y ;)

Only suggestions is maybe changing the mouseover colors of the top links (the black on blue is hard to read) and maybe adding in a type of thumbnail/"proper-ratio" contrib for the product thumbnails to make 'em look better and decrease page load times...

Take a look at this one...

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2226

** Please do not PM with personal support requests (even if offering "payment"). Thank you.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments!

nate_02631 - I am going to stick with the javascript menu unless I get a lot of bad responses because I think it makes the navigation a lot more interesting to look at.

urbanredneck - Unfortunately I can not use that contrib because all of my product images are transparent gif's. Anymore suggestions on thumbnail contribs will be most appreciated. I am going to change the hover colour of the navigation bar links as soon as I get chance.

I have set up a test account for those of you who would be kind enough to test my cart.

Email Address: [email protected]

Password: osctester

Thanks

Mark

nate_02631 - I am going to stick with the javascript menu unless I get a lot of bad responses because I think it makes the navigation a lot more interesting to look at.

I wasn't referring to the JS menu - I said the "top links"... Though I would still recommend a proper-ratio/thumbnailer mod...

** Please do not PM with personal support requests (even if offering "payment"). Thank you.

mark27uk3, is this the sec2 osc from webmakers I have seen this layout and contrib list before just cant put my finger on it yet, anyways nice site images need to be a little clearer, and content is fresh although it makes it a little slow to load.

Good luck.

Just to add the previous and next buttons are showing on rollover a alt text error need to get into laguage files and sort this out.

Hi stupid,

No this is not the sec2 version of osc, I have used the center shop contrib but all the rest is my own work.

I have corrected the previous/next product buttons, thanks

If anyone can recommend a good thumbnail contrib then please let me. My images are transparent as mentioned in an earlier post.

Does the checkout work ok?

What else do I need to include?

All comments are very helpful and gratefully received.

Thanks

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I have made some changes as suggested, I have added a thumbnail contrib and adjusted the stylesheet.

Will more of you please go through the store and give me your opinions please.

What is the best way to speed up the loading of the store? the thumbnail contrib has helped but I would like it to be faster on a dial up connection!

I have set up a test account for those of you who would be kind enough to test my cart.

Email Address: [email protected]

Password: osctester

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mike,

Which product are you trying to add to the cart? If it is one of the phone fascias with ' ' in it, there is a problem with a contrib I use. I am in the process of changing the descriptions and titles now.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

After much consideration and pondering I am changing the look of my store and would like you guys to have a look and tell me what you think.

I know its only a template but I am totally hopeless at design and too tight to pay for it!

I still have to add some contribs from the other store but hopefully it should only be a couple of days before I switch them over.

This is the existing store and this is the new one.

Please have a look and tell me your thoughts.

Thanks

Mark

There are some copyright issues with that template - make sure that you have the legal right to use it!

The template is very nice, but the copyright is owned by someone else and they could tell you to stop using it...

Hi Mark

Sorry to ask you such a silly question. I love your site, and the way you have set it up with your own design and using OSC as your shopping cart facility.

Could you please help me out with a bit of information on how you did this. I am new to all this sort of thing..... I have my own site designed already, just after a bit of info on how to incorporate OSC into my site without having to change much of my layout.

Thanks

Renee

I like the clean look to the Site. The product images brighten it up so that is great.

For me some of the page headings, like when in CheckOut and you see "Billing Information" look thrown in there.

When you don't have product images I don't like the yellow graphic you use.

I guess, like me, you are not a graphic designer - my Site (www.ceedeez.co.nz) suffers too in that regard. I have given it a shot though, but intend at some point to find a low cost friendly graphic designer to help me out. I suggest in conclusion that would work for you also.

On the other hand - your Site works for me and I would buy your products if I lived in the UK.

Cheers

Mark

Howdy Marc, My first impression is that the site loads exceptionally slowly. I'm on a particularly fast connection and I rarely see this. It could be good to find out if others in the forum are experiencing the same issues.

cheers

Roxmarie,

I am currently on a dial-up connection and my site loads pretty quick.

Check these out

Download Times*

Connection Rate Download Time

14.4K 51.65 seconds

28.8K 25.82 seconds

33.6K 22.14 seconds

56K 13.28 seconds

ISDN 128K 4.07 seconds

T1 1.44Mbps 0.35 seconds

It would be interesting to hear what others have to say because I dont have any problems.

Could it be your connection???

Mark

I have now managed to get the load speed even quicker, let me know what you think?

Connection Rate Download Time

14.4K 28.05 seconds

28.8K 14.02 seconds

33.6K 12.02 seconds

56K 7.21 seconds

ISDN 128K 2.21 seconds

T1 1.44Mbps 0.19 seconds

Mark

C'mon Guys,

Give your thoughts, good, bad, down right nasty I need some feedback!

Please!!!!!!!!!

Waiting in anticipation...............

Mark

Archived