• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie's First OsCommerce Disaster

khampaman

please everybody,

this is my first venture into oscommerce. after lots of screwing around, i finally managed to create a resemblence of a website. so please guys, any suggestios, advice, whatever, throw me some bones.

i'm terrible with colors, you can tell by the website, here it is Site

TIA

Khampaman

I liked,

The colors are different, are soft and very nice to look but the basic is Oscommerce !!!

One sugesstion :

You can't modify the bottons of the shop, i think the blue bottons does not have the look of your store....

First impression: header graphics are WAY cool!

I don't like that the left column boxes are so narrow, while the right column boxes are quite a bit wider. Perhaps make your credit card graphic a little smaller?

Yup, ema's right - you need to make some buttons which match the site's style.

You probably already know this, but you need to personalize the shipping and privacy pages.

I'm still impressed by the graphic. Did you make it yourself?

It's a good start to an Osc site, but...

You have some major competition: http://www.tibetcollection.com/

Both your site and this site are fiarly standard looking Oscommerce layout - but the tibetcollection site is where I would buy from as it looks more professional.

Please don't take this as a bad thing - for your first site, what you have is good. But end customers want to look at a site and think "wow"...

hope this helps

Ema and goldengrams: Thanks for the suggestion. I've already fixed the credit card grapics to match the width of other picture. now, left and right colum are of equal width.

goldengrams- yes i did the graphic. just messed around with background and hues.

burt: thanks for the encouragement. i know tibetcollection.com is way professional looking than mine but i'll try to improve my website. learning is so fun! by the way, do you've any suggestions

Ema and GG: i'll be working on the buttons to match the store colors. thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job Tashi!

But.....

Date of Birth: required

Why? I would leave your store and never come back!

And 'Post Code:' should be 'ZIP CODE' and placed after 'state'

-------

Advanced_search.php

Everything in the bottom box can be removed. Actually, I'd remove the 'Advanced Search" link from your quick find box.

-------

product_info.php

"This product was added to our catalog on Wednesday 21 July, 2004."

WHO CARES!!!!

-------

The date is formatted wrong in your footer.

-------

I like the login page and your pictures are great.

Good luck!

thanks hyperjack, would u by anychance know how to implement the changes that u suggested. i mean how to make the date of birth and gender stuff not a requirement and also how to move the zip code below the state.

Sorry I didn't respond. I haven't been to this site in a few days.

Site looks good. I would change one more thing. Consider changing the 'sign in' button to read 'continue'.

I know it sounds strange, but trust me!

I really like your products.

FYI- products_id=72 is missing a bi_image.

Also, if you're in the states, you should change Tuesday 03 August, 2004 to Tuesday, August 03, 2004.

very nice job khampaman.....i truly like simplicity in a web site; they don't have to WOW me to get a sale.

minor quibbles: proofread the 'shipping & returns' page, get rid of the 'requests since july', get rid of the stock gif images such as 'table_background_specials.gif' on the privacy page, i get a popup security warning when trying to create an account, you should add further contact info---phone #, address.

pete

You have a colour/contrast problem with your rollover links at the top "My Account | Cart Contents | Checkout " Hard to read the white on light blue.

This sort of thing is a minor detail but imediately fails your site as a professionally maintained project.

brandon - thanks for your suggestion. i didn't notice it before, anyway, its fixed.

pete - about the security popup! i've no idea how to fix this. if u know how please let me know. actually, i bought ssl certificate from comodo inc to use for my website but i don't know how to apply it to my current store. i'm right now using the shared ssl that comes with oscommerce. so if u know, i would appreciate ur help.

anyone??

Archived