• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Multi_Vendor_Shipping new thread

blucollarguy

Hi Rick

I would urge you to wait on moving this to your live site. We have been discussing the future of this mod, and it looks like a (nearly) complete rewrite is in the works.

Jim,

Thanks for the update and warning. I guess I'll hold off a bit.

Can you post some more information? Like what's prompted the re-write, any progress yet, what direction you're going in and maybe what other mods might be involved. And, I have to ask, any files?

Thanks,

Rick Knight

Rick

Sorry about the slow reply; I'm still not getting email alerts from osCommerce.

The rewrite is mostly because the original code is a hack job. I did it just to get things going, and there are a lot of ugly shortcuts in it. Some of the goals for the final code are:

1. Modify the Shipping class to work with this mod. I skipped that due to structural problems with my original approach. Those problems have been solved by Craig, who has a much better approach to the problem. This will also mean changes to the Checkout Shipping and Checkout Confirmation pages, and probably some changes to some of the other classes as well.

2. Also from Craig, the code will now allow the installation of any shipping module for a specific vendor from the Admin page, without having to hand-modify the module code for each vendor. He is rewriting the Admin code for the Shipping Modules page to do this. This code is almost complete. I have a preliminary version that I am playing with right now.

We don't have anything to release just yet. We will have a demo site up on Sourceforge in a few days, so I can go back to using my development server for the new code. Any new code will be posted here as soon as we have something that somewhat works. If I don't get pulled off to work on other things, this should be in a couple of weeks at the most.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Hello,

This looks like something I can really use, has any new progress been made?

Also, are things like this setup for people who may not have time to work on it to contribute cash to help those developing get a little back?

Thanks.

The way of life, and the way we work for you.

Hello,

This looks like something I can really use, has any new progress been made?

Also, are things like this setup for people who may not have time to work on it to contribute cash to help those developing get a little back?

Thanks.

Hello poorman, we are making significant progress, I expect to release new files this week. Stay tuned!

I have not set up an account spefically for this work, but those of us who are working on it will include avenues of contributions for our work when we get something solid for everyone to work with, in the mean time, you can donate any thing at all to the osCommerce project, we are all benefitting from it.

Craig :)

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

Anything worth having, is worth working for.

Multi Vendor Shipping V1.1 Demo Catalog

3 Vendors, each category, "buy" a product from each category to see how MVS works during checkout.

Multi Vendor Shipping V1.1 Demo Admin

login: [email protected]

pass: mvs_demo

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Download Multi Vendor Shipping V1.1

Vendor Email

Vendor Info in easypopulate

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

Great! Thank you, I try to support anything that helps me, even if the point was to make something that was needed for their projects.

I'll keep my eye on this :)...

Hello poorman, we are making significant progress, I expect to release new files this week. Stay tuned!

I have not set up an account spefically for this work, but those of us who are working on it will include avenues of contributions for our work when we get something solid for everyone to work with, in the mean time, you can donate any thing at all to the osCommerce project, we are all benefitting from it.

The way of life, and the way we work for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Multi-Vendor Shipping, v 0.9rc1 HAS BEEN RELEASED!

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

3 Vendors, each category, "buy" a product from each category to see how MVS works during checkout.

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Vendor Email

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

Here is the link to the contribution download:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2906

We have a demo set up at SourceForge:

The SF site:

MVS at SourceForge

The Demo:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Vendor Email

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

I should add that the admin interface is not quite complete. We're still working on changes to the Orders display, as well as the Invoice and Packing Slip. These changes will be added in the next few days.

We would like to encourage everybody who possibly can to test out this contribution and report any bugs. This code change is so large that I'm certain there are things we haven't tried yet. Suggestions for improvement will also be welcome.

Regards

Jim

Jim, Craig, and Co....

You may have forgotten to include one bit of code: a limiter, or something similar to the Individual Shipping Rates contribution. The idea is that in many cases since products are being dropshipped from any number of vendors, the store owner will not want to allow the customer to choose from multiple shipping options.

Example:

http://true-mvs.sourceforge.net/product_in...?products_id=25

When adding the keyboard to the cart and checking out, all the installed shipping modules show up. I think the very nature of the new and improved MVS should naturally limit itself to the "BEST WAY" shipping, which would basically tie a shipping method chosen from a dropdown within the admin screen. Again, the best working model for this is Individual Shipping Prices.

IMHO....good luck!

Carpe Carp: Seize the Fish.

Jim, Craig, and Co....

You may have forgotten to include one bit of code:  a limiter, or something similar to the Individual Shipping Rates contribution.  The idea is that in many cases since products are being dropshipped from any number of vendors, the store owner will not want to allow the customer to choose from multiple shipping options. 

Example:

http://true-mvs.sourceforge.net/product_in...?products_id=25

When adding the keyboard to the cart and checking out, all the installed shipping modules show up.  I think the very nature of the new and improved MVS should naturally limit itself to the "BEST WAY" shipping, which would basically tie a shipping method chosen from a dropdown within the admin screen.  Again, the best working model for this is Individual Shipping Prices.

IMHO....good luck!

One of the best parts of this is the fact that it is already quite flexible. Ir the store owner wants to limit the options available to a cusotmer, they can choose to do so. I had planned on adding several options of the final displayed quotes, we just have not gotten that far yet. I think this is a good suggenstion, and I will add it to the "todo" list, thanks, Craig :)

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Vendor Email

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

Here is the link to the contribution download:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2906

We have a demo set up at SourceForge:

The SF site:

MVS at SourceForge

The Demo:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

Hey blu, tried out the new demo, but upon checking out, got this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: enabled() in /home/groups/t/tr/true-mvs/htdocs/includes/classes/vendor_shipping.php on line 105

Thoughts?

Hey blu, tried out the new demo, but upon checking out, got this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: enabled() in /home/groups/t/tr/true-mvs/htdocs/includes/classes/vendor_shipping.php on line 105

Thoughts?

This was my poor judgement, I included the FedEx Direct Module in the "vendors_shipping" directory even though I have not finished writing it for use with this yet, MY BAD! Try it now, UPS is functional on every other server I have tested it on, I believe SF has several things disabled, and then masked in order to let MOST things function properly. I also get the "Register Globals is disabled" warning, but only on occasion, so is it enabled or not?! Who knows, but its a great resource for it's purpose. Other than the "fsock" open error there should be no other errors or problems.

Thanks for the post, Craig :)

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Vendor Email

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

Okay, went through it and just kept refreshing to get past the globals errors... One question, on the final checkout page/invoice summary, does the shipping get separated out like:

sub-total

shipping

tax

----

total

?

Okay, went through it and just kept refreshing to get past the globals errors... One question, on the final checkout page/invoice summary, does the shipping get separated out like:

sub-total

shipping

tax

----

total

?

You mean, as in receipt? We are currently working on that portion of the code, as well as the Admin side(invoice/packing slip). Do you have any suggestions on how we should implement this part? We need some input, so if you have any, post em.

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Vendor Email

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

Hi,

Just checked out your test site - cool stuff!

Will there also be a way to assign the vendor of a product after it is ordered. we sell custom gobos and have different factories in germany and italy. often i can only determine the best vendor for a certain product after reviewing the order and thus it would be great to have such an option in the order admin mask.

for example there could be a selection box assigned to each prodcut that has multiple vendors and when the vendor is selected and the order is confirmed an order email would be sent to the vendor with a link to their PO

does that make sense to you?

thx

uli

I think that I understand what you want. This code will not do all of what you want currently. Shipping is calculated at the time of purchase, and a vendor needs to be assigned at that time to handle the shipping quote. The vendor can then be notified automatically of the order.

You might be able to combine this contribution with one of the "Call for Quote" contributions, and possible some code in the Admin to notify your selected vendor manually once you have made the choice. You could probably adapt the email feature of the admin to do this.

So, I think that we have part of your solution, but not all of it. I would need to know more about your needs to give you a better idea of how to accomplish the remaining changes.

Regards

Jim

New Upload at the contributions--

MVS Downoload

==============================================================

Multi-Vendor Shipping, v 0.9rc1.2 2005/03/18

by Craig Garrison Sr and Jim Keebaugh

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2005 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

For the terms of this license please see

the file gpl.txt included in this distribution

version History:

0.2 Original design by Jim Keebaugh with help from Craig Garrison Sr. Abandoned

due to problems with useability.

0.3 Internal testing version. By Jim Keebaugh and Craig Garrison Sr. Rewrote a

majority of the code, and included Craig's Vendor Email contribution.

0.9rc1 By Craig Garrison Sr and Jim Keebaugh. First Release candidate.

0.9rc1.2 By Craig Garrison Sr and Jim Keebaugh. Second Release Candidate.

change log

2005/03/18 Updates: Limited install info added to this "readme.txt" file

A new table added for "vendor shipping data" storage (orders_ship_update.sql)

admin/orders.php updated to show new stored data

admin/includes/classes/order.php updated to show new stored data

admin/categories.php updated small bug that did not allow product to be copied

admin/categories.php updated to show "Vendors Name" at product list screen

2005/03/13 First Release Candidate

=====SomeInstruction=====

I suggest using a quality diff tool to install this contribution, my choice is WinMerge, a free windows app that is available at SourceForge:

http://winmerge.sourceforge.net/

After installation, you must populate your "default" vendor with shipping data before you enable the module in the Admin->Configuration->Shipping/Packaging section of your Admin. When this is not done, NO shipping options at all will display to the customer if any product with the default Vendor is in the basket.

If you have already installed 0.9rc1, use the supplied "orders_ship_update.sql" for this update.

All modified files are included as is, this is a package for testing purposes only, no real instructions are included in this release, future releases will have complete installation instructions.

Please remember, this is not intended to be used on a production site, this is intended for debugging and beta testing, please post your comments here and at our site at SourceForge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/true-mvs/

Due to server resctrictions I have moved the demo to my own site:

MVS Demo Catalog

and

MVS Admin

From the admin, you cannot change anything, just look at the functionality, no changes will save.

Please submit bug reports at SourceForge

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Vendor Email

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

Hi! Great Contribution! I've installed it to test it out. I noticed that a couple of the files in the list of modified files were missing from the package:

admin/includes/boxes/catalog.php

admin/includes/boxes/modules.php

I also noticed that no changes were made to the column_left.php file in the admin folder to add the new vendors box. Once I added the box, I noticed first that the english and filnames files were not updated with the box information. I also noticed that the bottom link in the box, FILENAME_PRODS_VENDORS, doesn't seem to have a cooresponding file.

Other than those things, the rest of the contribution seems to work great. I'm still working on some conflicts in the catalog pages I had between this contribution and another contribution I installed, so I haven't seen the whole thing in action, yet. Anyway, I wanted to mention these little things and see if those missing files will be added any time soon.

Hi!  Great Contribution!  I've installed it to test it out.  I noticed that a couple of the files in the list of modified files were missing from the package:

admin/includes/boxes/catalog.php

admin/includes/boxes/modules.php

I also noticed that no changes were made to the column_left.php file in the admin folder to add the new vendors box.  Once I added the box, I noticed first that the english and filnames files were not updated with the box information.  I also noticed that the bottom link in the box, FILENAME_PRODS_VENDORS, doesn't seem to have a cooresponding file.

Other than those things, the rest of the contribution seems to work great.  I'm still working on some conflicts in the catalog pages I had between this contribution and another contribution I installed, so I haven't seen the whole thing in action, yet.  Anyway, I wanted to mention these little things and see if those missing files will be added any time soon.

Sorry about that all!

Your right about each of these in the first release, I've uploaded a new release earlir today that dealt with most of these missing files, the column_left was still missing though. The "categories box" is not used anymore, and while I'm writing this, I've realised that I missed something else, in the admin/includes/languages/english.php:

the entire block, marked with //MVS, should look like this

//MVS start
define('VENDOR_IMAGE_MAIN_CONFIGURATION', 'Set Vendor Constants');
define('VENDOR_IMAGE_MANAGE_MODULES', 'Vendor Module Manager');
define('IMAGE_MANAGE', 'Manage');
define('VENDOR_HEADING_TITLE', 'Vendor Module Manager');
define('BOX_HEADING_VENDOR_MODULES', 'Vendor Management');
define('BOX_VENDOR_SELECT', 'Vendor Select');
define('BOX_VENDOR_MODULES_PAYMENT', 'Vendor Payment');
define('BOX_VENDOR_MODULES_SHIPPING', 'Vendor Shipping');
define('BOX_VENDOR_MODULES_ORDER_TOTAL', 'Vendor Order Total');
define('BOX_VENDOR_CONFIGURATION', 'Vendor Config');
define('BOX_CATALOG_VENDORS', 'Vendor Manager');
define('BOX_HEADING_VENDORS', 'Vendors');
define('BOX_VENDORS', 'Vendor Manager');
define('BOX_VENDORS_REPORTS_PROD', 'Product Reports');
define('TEXT_DISPLAY_NUMBER_OF_VENDORS', 'Displaying <b>%d</b> to <b>%d</b> (of <b>%d</b> vendors)');
define('TEXT_CACHE_VENDORS', 'Vendors Box');
//MVS End

Im pretty sure I missed some of that in the last upload. I don't want to clog up the contribution section with a bunch of minor code changes, so find that block, and be sure it looks like that.

I will be sure to get it fixed, in fact it is done now, so the next release will have everything in there.

Thanks for the heads up, Craig :)

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Vendor Email

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

I know this could make it much harder. However, what if a product has multiple vendors? In my cases, I would be using this because we have multiple distribution sites. It would be so nice if I could assign each vender to a region. For example, If the order originates from HI and the product exists in the HI warehouse then the order will ship from and get a quote based out of the HI warehouse. However, if the item isn't available in the HI warehouse, then the shipping quote will be based out of the closes warehouse with inventory. Is this possible?

I know this could make it much harder. However, what if a product has multiple vendors? In my cases, I would be using this because we have multiple distribution sites. It would be so nice if I could assign each vender to a region. For example, If the order originates from HI and the product exists in the HI warehouse then the order will ship from and get a quote based out of the HI warehouse. However, if the item isn't available in the HI warehouse, then the shipping quote will be based out of the closes warehouse with inventory. Is this possible?

I know exactly what you are looking for. And it is on my LONG term todo list. There is a contribution, "Vendor Locator", that has some of this in place. The customer is able to enter a zipcode and the module does a search for the nearest dealer or Vendor. I have no idea when I will be able to work on this part of the project, it WOULD be a large addition, but keep your eyes on this, you never know. Craig :)

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Vendor Email

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

I think that I understand what you want. This code will not do all of what you want currently. Shipping is calculated at the time of purchase, and a vendor needs to be assigned at that time to handle the shipping quote. The vendor can then be notified automatically of the order.

You might be able to combine this contribution with one of the "Call for Quote" contributions, and possible some code in the Admin to notify your selected vendor manually once you have made the choice. You could probably adapt the email feature of the admin to do this.

So, I think that we have part of your solution, but not all of it. I would need to know more about your needs to give you a better idea of how to accomplish the remaining changes.

Regards

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for your feedback. MVS is promising and I will install it and give you my feedback.

I searched for contributions, such as "Call for Quote" but couldn't find any. Where could I find it and what would it do for me? I already have a "Quote Me first" payment option, which is simply a renamed "Invoice" option.

I am actually also searching for a way of letting customers pay online *after* the order is approved. Is this what I could accomplish with "Call for Quote".

For example, they can get a quote first and once everything is sorted out and they wish to lock in, they shall be able to login to their account as usual, view the order and pay the order online per credit card. I thought this would be a common procedure but did not find a contribution for this.

Technically it would probably just need a payment button on the order detail page which leads to the checkout page by providing the payment info.

In case somebody wants a better understanding, that's the website: http://www.gobosource.com

Thanks,

Uli

The "Call for Quote" contribution that I was referring to just turns the order into a Request for Quote. It would not allow customers to purchase online. You need a way to manually input the order information and then allow the customer to finish the order. I've never seen anything that would do this, in osCommerce or any other cart.

You might be able to do this by dividing your store into two stores. The first "store" would be public, but would just send you a Request for Quote. The second would be hidden, accessible only by a link containing a password that you give the customer. The customer could then go and see their chosen product(s) with the prices that you have set. This seems to be a lot of work, but it's the only design that I can think of right now. If I come up with a really great idea I'll post it here.

Regards

Jim

You mean, as in receipt? We are currently working on that portion of the code, as well as the Admin side(invoice/packing slip). Do you have any suggestions on how we should implement this part? We need some input, so if you have any, post em.

Hey Craig -

Sorry for taking so long to get back. As far as the suggestions on where you should see the shipping, I just went through your site and see that the combined shipping is there under the sub-total... So, that makes my point moot ;)

Now, quick question - from the backend, is there an opportunity to enter tracking information for each individual item that is shipped separately? For example, the test order I have now has 2 products, each going a different way. From the backend, it would be great to be able to enter tracking info for both of these so that the user can track his/her packages with the info - and so could I.

As for the invoice - yes, an invoice would be very helpful. I've had to edit some of the invoice mods that are out there in order to be very useful... In my edits, I created an invoice that displays all the info necessary, including the product number under and indented beneath the product name. Perhaps below this there could also be a tracking number for the individual products that ship separately?

Ultimately, it would be great to have the items that ship together grouped on the invoice/packing slip - perhaps under a "PACKAGE #1 - UPS GROUND - TRACKING #:XXXXXXXXX" heading, then some spacing for the package #2 grouping or something like that?

I think this type of print out would work great even for drop shipping (which we use a lot.) The reason I think having the tracking numbers on the packing slip as well is if one package arrives before the other. This would also simplify things a little bit, with only removing the pricing of the items from the packing slip vs. the invoice, which the user could print out.

Just brainstorming here, so if sounds like I'm babbling, I probably am...

Other than that, so far it looks great!

- Nick

Edited by aresman

Hey Craig -

Sorry for taking so long to get back.  As far as the suggestions on where you should see the shipping, I just went through your site and see that the combined shipping is there under the sub-total... So, that makes my point moot ;)

Now, quick question - from the backend, is there an opportunity to enter tracking information for each individual item that is shipped separately?  For example, the test order I have now has 2 products, each going a different way.  From the backend, it would be great to be able to enter tracking info for both of these so that the user can track his/her packages with the info - and so could I.

As for the invoice - yes, an invoice would be very helpful.  I've had to edit some of the invoice mods that are out there in order to be very useful... In my edits, I created an invoice that displays all the info necessary, including the product number under and indented beneath the product name.  Perhaps below this there could also be a tracking number for the individual products that ship separately?

Ultimately, it would be great to have the items that ship together grouped on the invoice/packing slip - perhaps under a "PACKAGE #1 - UPS GROUND - TRACKING #:XXXXXXXXX" heading, then some spacing for the package #2 grouping or something like that?

I think this type of print out would work great even for drop shipping (which we use a lot.)  The reason I think having the tracking numbers on the packing slip as well is if one package arrives before the other.  This would also simplify things a little bit, with only removing the pricing of the items from the packing slip vs. the invoice, which the user could print out.

Just brainstorming here, so if sounds like I'm babbling, I probably am...

Other than that, so far it looks great! 

- Nick

I have "Ship Tracking" installed my own site and will be including that integrated code at some poiint. Your packing slip suggestions are good ones, and I agree. I also plan on being able to add Vendor specific order information, such as:

* Vendor Order Number/Invoice Number/PO Number

* Vendor Ship Cost

* Vendor Ship Number(tracking number, same thing)

This info would be important in good reporting and data exporting for me, and if I make it available, it can be used or not by other users. Any other suggestions are welcome, I will incorporate as much as I can without making this thing too specific. Our goal here is to end up with a flexible and useful tool that can be implemented for many different uses. Jim and I plan on coming with some instruction on customising certain portions of code for one's specific use, this may not happen any time real soon, but that will encourage people to customize and hopefully, contribute later.

Thanks for the input, Craig :)

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Vendor Email

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!