I think u all are right. I will outline my approach....
1. because i am a newbie, i decided to upload the various modules related to a specific topic and create one page out of all the various addons and am accordingly eliciting opinion. i think u all have a great volume of knowledge and if u all direct me to the path and answer some of my stupid queries from time to time, i will be able to drive this forward.
2. u are right if someone doesnot want a specific module, it will be for them to just tick it off in the admin panel. automatically that module will not be working. i dont know much about coding but a simple if clause should encompass wheather to switch on a particular span of code or not. I could be wrong and this could be lot of work. but it worthwhile doing it if people benefit out of it.
3. regarding maintenance : I have my own servers and own infrastructure and am not so worried about maintaining the codes. I will create separate downloads for various combinations.
so if u want a, c, and k addons, there is a specific download.. mathematically the number of combinations can be huge.. please do not criticize me on this combinatorics problem. i think I know basic combinatorics, probably not as good as any of you do, but sufficient enough to solve simple to moderately complex problems.
4. i am not going to include all addons:
my mission is very simple: create a oscommerce loaded with certain features that makes the product more usable by shop owners and not for developers. anyway developers know everything. but shopowners dont. i am a shop owner. and when i tried using oscommerce i found that it is the oldest opensource ecommerce application, where one of the basic requirements being the ability to decide, which info boxes should be shown in which page, is not within my control but i have to hire a developer to do it and implement either something like DTS or use hard coding. considering all the experts who have used this service from a long period of time, it baffles me, why the feel and the need to make forward development was not exercised but a path of parallel development was resorted to. again my logic could be wrong and i do know that my pursuit could boil down to an act of stupidity.
but please do not get me wrong, even if it takes me one year i will create an oscommerce loaded with all possible configurable items, so that shop owners can use the product and shop owners feel the need and urge to use the product. it is no point talking about security and putting fifteen locks in a door when the room is empty. let us first create a roomful of features which the shopowner would like to love to have and then think of all the locks. I regret if my words engender any harsh feelings.
i think if u all help me in my mission, at the end of six months we will indeed have a product more usable by shop owners for free.
mind you, without being a developer one knows that certain features like:
1. ability to have single page checkout,
2. ability to use single page create account + login
3. ability to show a horizontal menu,
4. provision of a search filter in product listing to allow users to have better search facility etc,
5. ability to have a proper footer section and a proper header section,
6. ability to decide which info box should be in which page.
7. when did u last see a software or website which does not have login, register feature instead of create account?
a simple list like this is shop-independent but are currently in vogue and much needed by a shopowner. ofcourse the developer does not need it. these are small features which are available as addons and not as a default feature in today's oscommerce.. this bothers me because this simple non availability of features makes this beautiful and easy product a non-desirable commodity.