Latest News: (loading..)

Dan Cole

‚ô•Ambassador
  • Content count

    1,805
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    39

Dan Cole last won the day on June 16

Dan Cole had the most liked content!

About Dan Cole

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

37,759 profile views
  1. Posting a URL might help someone help. Dan
  2. Are there no backups that you can grab a copy from? Did you ask your host? Dan
  3. In Amazon vs. Walmart, things are heating up. The 2 Winners in Amazon vs. Walmart Battle What impact will this have on your business? Dan
  4. @ce7 Lyn...you're testing this old guys memory. I seem to recall having similar problems with some old addons on a php update. Try adding.... ob_start(); to the beginning of the add-on you installed....just before application_top.php being called so it looks like this... ob_start(); require('includes/application_top.php'); It may or may not solve your problem. I think it is worth a shot...I believe it worked in my situation without any ill effects. Dan
  5. @frankl Frank I'll jump in on your next update...sounds like you have enough to chew on for now. Dan
  6. @MrPhil @Gergely Thanks for your help with those strange characters. As far as I can tell the files didn't include a BOM but the charset wasn't declared and doing so removed those strange characters. I'm not sure what the differences are between the two sites but I decided not to worry about it any more and reworked the routine being used to display the text file to add the charset definition and then to hang on to the formatting, I wrapped the output in <pre></pre> tags. It now seems to be working the way you would expect on both sites. FWIW here is the adjusted code I'm using in email_viewer.php. if ($mode == 'text') { $template = strip_tags($template); header('Content-Type: text/html; charset="UTF-8"'); echo "\xEF\xBB\xBF"; } echo "<pre>" . $template . "</pre>"; Dan
  7. @burt I like this Gary....I'm not sure how to order it in that way but I agree that makes sense to me too. Proof will be in the pudding. I think, as we are discovering here, it should be a excellent supplement to the regular search routine especially if we can order it appropriately. Dan
  8. @t000Corrections?...if you mean more direction tell us what you've done or where you're stuck and we'll see what we can do to help. Dan
  9. As usual, my bad. I had added some breaks in the code to test it previously when it wasn't getting the results I expected. I left those breaks in place so the search wasn't getting past the query. Removing the breaks got me back to where I was. I then spend a bit more time with it and realized it was working but showing what seemed to be odd results. The results where limited to 4 and didn't seem to bare any relationship to the search query....I increased the limit to 20 and guess what showed up....just way down the list....yes, Marine Flakes both the original product as well as the new one I added. In summary it looks like the fuzzy search does work, it is just that there is no way to ensure that it will identify the most relevant results if you have a number of products containing the metaphone being searched for. The more products you have the less relevant the results will be. I'm now wondering if there is a way to sort or rework the results so the more relevant ones will appear higher in the list? I'll play around with the fuzzy factor a bit to see if that helps. Dan
  10. I tried adding a product with just the name Marine Flake and then regenerated the metaphones. No change. I then tried running the query against the database directly and it worked! It just won't work from the search bar...I'm out of ideas for what else I can do to trouble shoot it so I'll let it percolate for the time being. Hopefully an idea or two will surface. Dan
  11. @burt Now I'm really puzzled....the product metaphone is.... OMKNMRNFLKW0KRLKK So I'm thinking it should have found MRNF using MYSQL LIKE but doesn't for some reason. I'm going to add a product with just the name Marine Flake and see what happens. Dan
  12. @burt Gary I tried the fuzzy search again and it still failed to find marineflake on my site....in an effort to see what was going on I echoed the query to the screen and it shows the metaphone as '%MRNF%' without a space so I can see why it isn't being found. I haven't yet checked my database to see if "MRNF" was indexed but I'm off to check that now. Here is the actual output. select distinct p.products_id, p.products_image, pd.products_name from products p inner join products_description pd on (p.products_id = pd.products_id) where p.products_status = '1' and pd.language_id = '1' and pd.products_metaphone like '%MRNF%' order by pd.products_metaphone limit 4 Now I'm curious what the metaphone for your query was? Dan
  13. @ArtcoInc Thanks Malcolm....I'll have to revisit this again....I'm now not sure if I tried the example using the fuzzy search or if I was having other issues with it. I'll post back when I give it another go. Dan
  14. @burt That is interesting Gary....now you have me wondering what the heck I did....I'll revisit it. Dan
  15. @MrPhil That fits the scenario exactly so you're probably right. What is puzzling is why I'm seeing them on one site but not the other....both using the same environment and I'm viewing them with the same browser. The files are being displayed via osC and I'm viewing them in Firefox. I copied the files using Filezilla. I'll see if I have a save without BOM setting in notepad++, the editor I use, and if so I'll resave one of the files to see what happens. Dan PS: You were definitely missed...at least by me. Glad to see that you're well and posting again.