• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

sales tax depending on billing address

kinetek

shouldn't the sales tax be determined by the billing address and not the shipping address? that seems to make sense for me but it looks like osc determines it by shipping address. how do i go about change it if this is wrong?

• 1 month later...

is that the law? I always wondered about that.. Do you charge tax to someone who is using a billing address from your state, but ships to another state? Or do you charge tax when people use billing address from another state but the item ships to address in your state?

I have heard (i.e. seen it posted in these forums) that it depends on the state (although you only have to pay once in case of conflict).

Btw, Shipping Address makes more sense to me. Why?

1. Shipping Address is actually known by the store. You specify the address to the shipper. A customer can make up a billing address.

2. If you go to another state and buy an item, do you pay sales tax? You bet you do, because it is "shipped" to your location (i.e. the store where you are buying it). Why should mail/internet sales be different?

Hth,

Matt

• 1 month later...

I?m not sure but I think that we should add taxes for the billing address except the shipping that we should add taxes for the shipping address.

Is this correct??

I hope somebody knows about it and answer this legal things.

Thanks.

Different states have different laws (for example some require that you charge sales tax to everyone, no matter where they are from). Contact your local Chamber of Commerce and they should be able to assist you with your local and state tax laws.

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

Unless in spain you must have the taxes acording with the billing address.

I mean, if you pay something you get the bill with the corresponding taxes, it is not importan where you or some one else will enjoy this product.

So I think that if we want to make a correct bill we will add the taxes corresponding to the billing address.

Best regards.

Carlos

• 2 weeks later...

You have to collect tax based on final destination ... In Ohio if we take your money here and ship to another state we do not collect the tax.

if we ship inside Ohio we have to collect sales tax

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

regarding this question, i have another, regarding taxes only

here in europe, and in france, we have 3 selling taxes

one for inside france 19.6 %

one for inside europe, except france 5.5 %

one for outside europe -free tax-

is it possible to set this ?

is it working regarding user billing country ?

because i created 3 test zones, but when create new product in catalog, it cannot be automaticly selected regarding user location

must i create any product for any taxable zones i have ?

thanks

thanks ;)

but i solve my question by myself

i didn't work with zones, and taxes zones, so created a zone, and understood how it works

but it's very long, because in my situation, i have 3 zones, france, europe, and other

for france, i put france, for europe i put 24 other countries, and for "other" i have to manually put all other countries ...

very long, but it works well

2.  If you go to another state and buy an item, do you pay sales tax?  You bet you do, because it is "shipped" to your location (i.e. the store where you are buying it).  Why should mail/internet sales be different?

If you goto another state and purchase something in a physical store, all customers pay the sales tax because that store has a presence in the state (created a nexus) and is obligated to collect & pay sales tax from all customers who purchase from within that location. It has nothing at all to do with where you personally are from or how the goods got to that store.

The laws generally do not say shipping & billing addresses, etc, but most times refer to the customer. From what I have seen, the general rule (in the states) seems to be if the customer is from your state, they pay sales tax, just as if you had a store and they were coming in to buy. (now again, each state differs and some differ alot). To me this signifies the billing address in the case of most states. The person buying the product (ie the billing address) is the customer.

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

Archived