• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can't configure

Stephie

The link in my footer should help, all hail to those that contributed it.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Stephanie, Thanks for the PM but please use your thread.

i changed my footer and as there is a limit on size had to drop some links.

Googled

oscommerce move hosts

got this, looks even better than the previous link, but not for your problem.

The other day, Rich posted about the stress of a server move.

It can be a nightmare to move a site, particularly a dynamic, interactive sites usch as an osCommerce Shop.

Here's how I move osCommerce sites:

1. Purchase a cheap temporary domain name (eg: www.yoursite.info)

2. Select your NEW host, and get the account set up (using the NEW domain name).

3. *Copy* all files across from the OLD host to the NEW host.

4. Set up the NEW configure.php files using the NEW domain name.

5. Set up the OLD host so that the MySQL Daemon can be accessed from the new host. Using cPanel (uugh) this is very simple, if you don't have cPanel, then the host can easily do this for you.

6. Go back to the NEW configure.php file and set up the DB connections at the bottom of this file to access the OLD hosts database connection.

Now, think about this. You have two sites, each of which is exactly the same as the other. Except for domain names. Most importantly, both OLD & NEW sites are pulling from the one database.

You can now take your time to make sure everything works on the NEW host by using the NEW domain. Once happy:

7. Make your DNS changes on your ORIGINAL domain name, to match the NS details the NEW host gives you.

8. At the same time, PARK your OLD domain on top of the NEW one.

9. And change the Domain Details in the NEW configure.php to match your OLD domain name.

We know that dns changes take between 1 hour and 48 hours or so to update - this means that ISPs around the world will see the NEW hosting at different times. Because you still have the NEW hosting using the OLD hosting MySQL, you are still running 1 database, thus you will lose no orders during the changeover.

Once you are sure that the DNS changes are complete:

10. Close down BOTH OLD and NEW sites for 20 minutes (say on your quietest time in the middle of the night). During these 20 minutes;

11. Take a dump of the OLD database

12. Set up MySQL on the NEW hosting.

13. Transfer the DB to the NEW.

14. Change your configure files to stop accessing the OLD host DB and make sure that they are accessing their own DB (on the NEW).

It sounds complicated, but is in fact really very simple. Doing a server swap this way, ensures that you lose the minimum of orders, as you will be down for only about 20 minutes maximum. If you work quickly, it is possible to have downtime of less than a couple of minutes!

Sure, you'll have spent a couple of pounds for a throwawy domain name (you could go on to use this for something else, perhaps a feeder site for your main domain, or a different site entirely). If you buy the cheapest possible, a .info for 1 year, you'll be paying less than $3 (£1.50) or so. This is beer money compared to loss of orders, surely?

Serious Advice for all osCommerce Store Owners

Don't rely on a host to understand the best way that a 3rd party script works => go to someone who you feel can do the job quickly and without fuss! It might cost a little more in terms of money, but will cost a lot less in terms of stress, hair loss, and keyboard pounding.

This is at

http://www.osworld.biz/442/the-stress-free...scommerce-site/

But what you wanted took a bit of tracking down, it is in tips and tricks, but I eventually found it as I kept getting distracted by interesting site.

Anyway using google

www.oscommerce.com/forums: problem oscommerce move hosts

and a response by coopco

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...=193738&hl=

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

• 1 month later...

Archived