• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Installation Guide - osC Paypal IPN 1.1 + Downloads Controller 5.3 - on fresh osC MS2.2

AlexStudio

For there are very limited instruction available in the Downloads Controller Contrib,

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,994

and complicated setup procedure for both osC and Paypal IPN

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2679

to work correctly, I decided to write this setup guide, for those who does have the skill to manipulate the PHP or other codes/scripts.

The reason to combine these 2 add-ons to osC is quite obvious. Paypal is the best choice for those newbie e-store owners to receive payments, and the Downloads Controller is the best contrib to solve the downloadable goods problems come with the osC MS2.2.

If you want to find out what's wrong with the original download module built-in with osC MS2.2, please do the search for 'stealing download without paying' or 'blank download page'......,etc, in this forum. You will find out there are huge security issues with the original download module and problem downloading large files.

installing osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2

1. The installation guide can be found in this contrib. READ IT! It's quite straight forward.

For those who don't understand how to setup to encrypt payments data to be sent to Paypal, we will deal with that part later.

2. Make sure you have followed every instruction in the installation guide, including the osC MS2.2 and osC PayPal IPN Module. !!!!!!!! CHMOD /catalog/download to 755, and /catalog/pub 777, also create /catalog/tmp and CHMOD to 777.

3. Go to Admin page, under Configuration>Download, set Enable download true, Download by redirect ture (Unix based host only). NOTICE: redirect only work with Unix based host!!!! If you set this to true with non-unix host, download WILL NOT WORK!!! Set redirect to false if you're using non-unix host.

Also under Configuration>Gzip Compression, set to false. Many people have problems with gzip truned on.

Under Modules>Payment>PayPal (Credit Card / Debit), set Enable Paypal IPN module true, set Gateway Server to 'Testing'. And fill-in with a false e-mail address in the E-Mail Address field. This e-mail address will be used for PayPal Sandbox. Fill-in page style with 'Paypal', and Debug E-Mail Address with your REAL e-mail. Now we are done with the PayPal IPN Module. We can deal with other settings later.

4. Go to PayPal website and sign-up an Developer account in https://developer.paypal.com/devscr?cmd=_signup-run page to use the sandbox. There are many instructions available for setting up sandbox in the developer center. Read them. Create at least 2 accounts in sandbox, one for seller, and the other for customer. The seller must setup with the false e-mail address which we fill-in the IPN module. Then setup false credit cards for both seller and customer, I suggest you to do the verify procedure to make both sandbox accounts Verified.

Then in the sandbox, seller's profile, Instant Payment Notification Preferences, turn IPN on, with the URL http://yourdomain/catalog/includes/modules.../paypal_ipn.php then save.

5. Upload a samll test.zip file to /catalog/download for later testing. The file size should be no larger than 1Mb. We want to make sure everything works fine before we approach forward. The smaller file seems to be less problematic. It doesn't matter what you put in the test.zip, but make sure you can unzip it without problem. Naming that .zip file is crucial for download to work properly later.

6. Go to Admin page, under Catalog>Categories/Products, add a new product with whatever name/price, set weight to 0. Go to Catalog>Products Attributes and add an option name 'Shipping Options', and an option value 'Instant Download'. Now from the dropping list add a products attributes below with the product name we just created, then select option name 'Shipping Options', and option value 'Instant Download'. Fill-in file name with 'test.zip' and leave the others and click 'insert'. Now we have a new product which is downloadable after payment approved.

7. Now we can test purchasing the test.zip with Paypal sandbox, if you have done everything correctly, you can make payments with the false customer account in sandbox, than the browser returns to your store, with download link available. NOTICE: Try not to complete the Paypal payment pages, open another browser and login again with the same user account, go to 'My Account', Wala!! The download link is there without paying a dime!!!!!! BIG PROBLEM, right?

If you have no problem downloading the test.zip file, with or without payment, don't forget to open or unzip it. If your downloaded file can't be opened, then you have some problem with your server. Probably something is wrong with your host setup. Fix the problem before going on next step. Download will not work if you don't get it work here.

to be continued........

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

......continue

As mentioned in earlier post, customers or hackers can download your files without paying. We absolutely need the almighty Downloads Controller to avoid these stealings to happen in your store.

installing Downloads Controller 5.3 MS2.2

8. Before you do anything further, BACKUP your files first!!! Including your database file. This is very important before you add-on any non-official contribs to your osC, especially Downloads Controller! The original author/developer of this contrib, Linda McGrath, was not answering any question nor posting any upgrades since 2003. Hopefully there would be some experts continue developing this great contrib to fix exiting problems and improvements.

Make sure you downloaded BOTH contrib package by lhaase0217, in 17 and 19 Aug 2005. You will need all php files in the 19 Aug file, and the missing sql file in the 17 Aug file.

If you have a fresh osC installed, and also with the working osC Paypal IPN module mentioned above, you can just drop all 3 folders with their contents on to your catalog folder, overwrite all existing files. (Sounds scary, right? That's why you always need to backup first.)

If you have a live store running, you will need to alter your existing php files manually, with file compare tools like WinMerge, etc.

9. Unlike the osC PayPal IPN module, installing this contrib is not as easy. You need to import the downloads_controller.sql manually with phpMyAdmin. If you don't know where to access your phpMyAdmin, contact you host provider for help. Once you login to your phpMyAdmin, click on Databases, and then click on the database of your osC. Then click on SQL at the top of the up-coming page, there should be a browse button below the 'Location of the textfile:', click on it and load with the download_controller.sql, then press GO at the bottom. Wala! You're done with the sql importing. Now we just leave the phpMyAdmin in background, for we will use it later again.

10. Now go back to your Admin page, under Configuration>Download, you will find some additional options. Let's change the Downloads Controller Update Status Value to 12. This is to be used with the Update function in Customers>Orders>Edit page. When you set an order updated, it allows you to re-enable the download link for those customers didn't finish their downloads. To set this value 12 is for there are some modules might need other values before the payments being approved, we leave some room for that.

Go back with the Download options, set Downloads Controller Order Status Value to 10. This means no download link will be allowed if no payment modules return the order status larger than 10. With this function, incomplete payments will not have download link in 'My Account' page!!!

11. Now we have to deal with the order status. Go to Localization>Order Status (NOT Loacations / Taxes), you probably will see 4 status set, with Pending, Processing, Delivered, Preparing [PayPal IPN] if you didn't change them previously. DO EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED BELOW. Otherwise you might get confused editing the corresponding order status id value in phpMyAdmin. Edit the 'Pending' to '1 Pending' (without quotes), and 'Processing' to '2 Processing', then 'Preparing [PayPal IPN]' to '3 Payment processing', 'Delivered' to '4 Delivered'. Now, we need to insert 2 new status, let's add '11 Downloads Now Available' and '12 Updated'. Ok, we have all status needed to work with Downloads Controller. If you do need other status, you can add them later.

12. Go back to phpMyAdmin, in the page we left behine, click Search on the top, search for pending and sellect orders_status in the Inside table(s) below, then click Go. Search result should come out with 1 match, click on Browse. (If you accedently hit the Delete link, you will find out how important the backup procedure is.) Now, click on the pencil icon (Edit), there should be 3 Values, orders_status_id and language_id and orders_status_name. Yon should see the name '1 Pending' as we just changed in [step 11], now change the orders_status_id value to 1 if it isn't. Select Save and Go back to previous page, click Go. Do the same as above to find Processing, Payment, .....etc, and then change the id value corresponding to the leading number we set in the status name. Make sure every id value is set to the right number. This is crucial for Downloads Controller to work properly. Close phpMyAdmin after you finish editing all id value. Wala! We are DONE!!

13. Now we can test purchasing the same test.zip again. This time will be no download link in the 'My account' page if you didn't finish the PayPal payment process. Even if you finished Paypal payment, there is no download link in the checkout_success.php page when you come back. You need to go to 'My Account' page and click on view buttons. Walal!! A nice download button with the download link there!!

Check again if you can download the test.zip file and open it without problems. If evrything works fine, try to make a larger test.zip to test the download size limits. This used to be an big issue with earlier version. I have tried to download 20Mb file without problem on fresh osC with these 2 contribs installed.

Note: If you found something wrong with downloading large files, like incomplete downloads, time out error, ...etc, you have to fix it with your host, or try other solutions not to let your customers download large files directly from your website.

Now we are done with the Downloads Controller installing. Next we will deal with SSL fuction in osC PayPal IPN Module.

...........To be continued

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

.........continue

To setup SSL for Paypal IPN is quite tedious for newbie store owners. You need to setup both osC and PayPal correctly, also you will need a pair of x.509 KPI 1024bit PEM encoded certificate to encrypt payment datat to be sent to PayPal.

Enable Encrypted Web Payments in PayPal IPN module

14. You should first go to PayPal sandbox, in seller's profile, under Selling Preferences, go into Encrypted Payment Settings page. Download the PayPal Public Certificate file, store it in you host. I suggest you to store this file with your own certificate files in a folder that others have no way to access them.

As you can see in the same page, PayPal needs you to upload your certificates to work with. If you already have the right certificates PayPal need, you can just upload them, and copy the Cert ID for later use. If you don't have certificates, or you don't have any idea what that is, Don't panic.

There are 2 ways to get your certificates, depends on what kind of host you have. If you can access openSSL from your host, it's very easy to get your certificates. For PayPal doesn't need a trusted certificate to work with IPN, you can use self-signed certificates to work with payment data encryption. You can find openSSL command line options, in Paypal online documents, to generate self-signed certificates.

If you do not have shell access to operate openSSL commands, there is a Win32 shareware can do this job - Crypto4 PKI. Notice: The shareware version works only 30 days for free, but it did not generate 1024bit cetificates untill you buy it. I don't want to post step-by-step how-to about using Crypto4 KPI here, for it is beyond the score of setting up PayPal IPN module in osC. The most crucial option to generate usable certificates are: 1024bit RSA and PEM. DO NOT password protect these certificates, for IPN module will not be able to open them. That's why I suggested to put these files away from others to access them. You will need one private key and one corresponding public ceritficate to setup Payapl IPN module.

After you generated your certificates, upload to sandbox (only certificate needed, not private key), and copy the Cert ID as mentioned above.

15. Go back to Admin page, under Modules/Payment, edit PayPal (Credit Card / Debit). Set Enable Encrypted Web Payments true, sepecify the path to where all 3 cetificate files stored (Full path, begin with /root/user/......etc). Then paste the Cert ID copied from sandbox into Your PayPal Public Certificate ID, and assign a working Directory (Full path /xxx/xxx/....../catalog/tmp/ <--Trailing slash needed), and the path of openSSL binary files. If you don't know where openSSL files are located in your host, contact your host provider for help. Don't forget to create the /catalog/tmp folder and CHMOD to 777.

16. Test to purchase test.zip again. If you have something setup incorrectly, errors will occur and shown in the up-coming pages. If you encounter no problem and get through to complete your payment with PayPal, it's done! If you can't set it up anyhow, make sure you have the right certificate files. You can find answers in PayPal online documents and also www.openssl.org

All credits go to those who made these contribs, and osC team as well. I am not a programer, so don't ask me about how to tweak the hardcore php css files. Post your questions regarding this topic here, there will always be somebody capable to answer them. Good luck, and make big money$$$$

/* End of file (EOF)

Edited by AlexStudio

For there are very limited instruction available in the Downloads Controller Contrib,

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,994

and complicated setup procedure for both osC and Paypal IPN

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2679

to work correctly, I decided to write this setup guide, for those who does have the skill to manipulate the PHP or other codes/scripts.

Typo.....should be

I decided to write this setup guide, for those who does NOT have the skill to manipulate the PHP or other codes/scripts.

==amendments==

need to add some indications after [step 12] and before [step 13]:

12.1 Before we go testing, we'd better set the IPN module return orders status correctly. Go to Admin page, under Configuration>Modules, edit PayPal (Credit Card / Debit). Set Preparing Order Status to '3 Payment Processing', and Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status to '101 Download Now Available'.

=================

Also at the end of [step 16]:

16.1 After setup everything to work, test it till you're satisfied, you can switch the PayPal IPN to the real world. Don't forget to change your false e-mail to the real one, and you also need to go through all the process you did in sandbox, to setup real PayPal account, and upload certificate to it if you have tested SSL function.

I have read your instructions with great interest ... and have a few questions.

1) For item 4: Since the email address is false, how does one "verify" the sandbox accounts?

2) For item 7: It is not clear, from these instructions, how I test purchasing the test.zip. Since I was unsure, I decided to put it into the shopping cart and check out. However, I stopped at the PayPal site where it asked me to enter a credit card number. Please advise.

3) Is the Downloads Controller 5.3 MS2.2 required if I am not selling files that are downloaded from my site?

Eisenbeis,

1.) If you read through the instructions in PayPal SandBox pages, then you'll see how to use sandbox to test your e-store payments working with PayPal. All accounts you created in sandbox are with false email addresses and credit cards generated by sandbox, even false bank accounts. Sandbox works like real PayPal, it will send emails to those false email addresses that only can be received in sandbox.

2.) To test purchase with sandbox, you must set osC PayPal IPN modules to work in test mode (gateway settings), which will pass your orders to sandbox, not the real PayPal system. And you must use accounts in sandbox to pay with credit cards generated by sandbox.

3.) DC 5.3 is not needed if you don't have downloadable goods in your store.

Hope that answered your questions.

Joe,

I have no answer for your question, since I never use Purchase Without Account. Maybe someone else outthere tried this before that can answer this for you.

IMHO, if you want to sell downloadable goods, you'd better not use Purchase Without Account. You will not be able to deal with refunds and frauds. I also suggest IP Order Recorder to be used with DC5.3, in order to log customers IP/ISP for tracing orders and other security purposes. The only catch is it need to be modified to work with osC PayPal IPN, because osC PayPal IPN do all the database jobs by itself. Following the installation guide in the IP Order Recorder contrib will not make it work with osC PayPal IPN.

Thanks for the prompt response!

1) Per my understanding, verification occurs when PayPal sends a message to the email adr entered ... that email provides a response link which provides verification to PayPal. I was wondering how that can occur since the email entered is a false adr.

2) I do have the module set to a test mode. I was wondering exactly what steps I must take to do the verification. Step 1 do this, step 2 do something else, etc.

I have created the accounts in the PayPal sandbox. Do I need to enter my actual credit card number to verify it is working, or can I enter a bogus credit card number?

3) I deleted the bogus product / shipping options / instant download. However, I am getting the following message at the top of my page, "Warning: The downloadable products directory does not exist: /hsphere/local/home/eisenbei/mikeandclyde.com/catalogdownload/. Downloadable products will not work until this directory is valid." How do I get it to understand I am not selling a downloadable product?

Eisenbeis,

to answer your questions:

1.) you can find 'email' in the paypal developer center login page, the same page where you launch sandbox. In there, you will find all emails for false email addresses sent by sandbox. That means you can find the verification emails there to verify accounts in sandbox.

2.) If you followed the instructions to create accounts in sandbox, you should also 'create' credit cards for those accounts. To 'create' credit cards in sandbox for each account, you need to launch sandbox and login to your sandbox accounts, under 'profile' page, add credit cards for them. sandbox will generate credit card numbers for you. Once you have credit cards setup in sandbox, you can use these accounts to test purchasing from your store.

After you confirmed the order in your store, with osC paypal ipn payment selected, you will see sandbox's payment processing page. You need to sign in with the "customer's" false email and password, which you setup in sandbox, then the next page will ask you to pay. After then, sanbox will say you have made payments to your store, and ask you to 'continue' to go back to your store. If all these happened, your paypal ipn is working with sandbox. Now you can check if the sandbox return verified payment in your admin pages, under customers/orders page.

3.) Since you don't need the download function in osC, just turn it off in admin page, under configuration>downloads.

AlexStudio,

Good information, thanks!

1) Ok.

2) Ok.

3) Ok.

New topic:

4) Under instruction 14: "... If you can access openSSL from your host, it's very easy to get your certificates." I have been told by my web host, the path to OpenSSL should be /usr/bin/openssl. Do I access this via a browser or ftp?

eisenbies,

That only means the openssl is located at /usr/bin/openssl . Usually the administration will not allow shell access for customers using their server. If you want to generate self-signed certificates, you might need to consider the second method - to use the win32 shareware to do the job.

Edited by AlexStudio

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have found your installation guide a terrific resource. I have followed it and have everything working up to the SSl part. My question is probably really stupid. but here goes.

You state that the certificates need to be in PEM format. I have checked mine and I have a .CRT extension and my key is .KEY extension. :blink: I don't know what the difference is but there has to be one. Can I just rename them with the correct extension or is this something totally out of my control and I need to buy a cert in the correct format??

Sorrry but I'm a real noob about the certs and security stuff. :blush:

Thanks in advance for any insights! :D

You can't just rename those files into .pem, you have to re-generate the key and cert files with PEM encoding, which will have .pem ext.

....You state that the certificates need to be in PEM format. I have checked mine and I have a .CRT extension and my key is .KEY extension. :blink: I don't know what the difference is but there has to be one. Can I just rename them with the correct extension or is this something totally out of my control and I need to buy a cert in the correct format??....

To Tynana,

To purchase a pair of key/cert is not necessary. Those trusted certificates from venders usually are far more expensive than the registration fee for Crypto4 PKI, and you also don't know what kind of cert files do those venders offer.

Thanks for your quick reply! :) I'll regenerate them and see if I can get it right.

To your second post; I bought a the fairly cheap Turbo cert for testing purposes from Godaddy. I generated everything and had them in their proper places and then found out that my host had to turn them on or whatever they want to call it. Guess I'll have to do that too! :rolleyes: I'm going to look into the Crypto4 PKI that you mentioned too. It's hard to decide what to do sometimes. :)

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi AlexStudio,

I just wanted to let you know that I got the Crypto4PKI and it worked great! :D PayPal accepted all the info after that.

I did run into a problem after that step and maybe you have heard of this.

After setting up The encrpted webpages, when I go through the checkout process I now get a PapPal abort page. I have contacted my host thinking that maybe they have to make the certs live like they did my first set. I haven't heard anything about that yet. If I remember correctly the PayPal error number was 5302.

If I get this working I'll post the solution so others that run into it have an answer. :)

Thanks for all you help!

Happy Holidays :D

Tynana

Tynana, you'd better check with PayPal about what 5302 means first. I think it might be something wrong with PayPal.

Hi AlexStudio,

I just wanted to let you know that I got the Crypto4PKI and it worked great! :D PayPal accepted all the info after that.

I did run into a problem after that step and maybe you have heard of this.

After setting up The encrpted webpages, when I go through the checkout process I now get a PapPal abort page. I have contacted my host thinking that maybe they have to make the certs live like they did my first set. I haven't heard anything about that yet. If I remember correctly the PayPal error number was 5302.

If I get this working I'll post the solution so others that run into it have an answer. :)

Thanks for all you help!

Happy Holidays :D

Tynana

Hi again,

I have been reading and reading about this 5302 message and the best I get is that the certificate is for live production and not the Sandbox, but I downloaded the cert from the sandbox. Their forums are a little uninformative IMO. :rolleyes:

But I am going to post a detailed explanation of what is happening and maybe I'll get someone to give a clear answer.

It's very strange, there are alot of posts on this subject but no clear instructions to fix it.

I'll let you know.

Thanks again

Tynana :)

Hi, it's me again,

No luck with the PayPal support forums. So my question is this... Do I absolutely need the encrypted webpages for my store?? Will the info be safe enough without it or should I look into another payment method?

Sorry, but time is running out and this is giving me a headache.

PS. AlexStudio, it is on PayPal's side and they are not very helpful.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Tammy

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly a BIG Thankyou for this step by step! I have finally got it up and running in my shop - just one hiccup though - I have three payment options and after installing this one of them has gone missing off my checkout_payment.php page in my shop - it is just not there anymore as an option - it is my Bank Deposit Payment option.

hoping someone might be able to shine some light on this one for me ?

thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH. I thought I was going crazy because no one could answer my question about how to fix this download problem. Anyway on to my question...

I did everything as you said, but I can't find the downloads_controller.sql file so that I can upload it on my phpMyAdmin. Is it because I'm on a mac that it did not show up? I downloaded the contrib again thinking maybe I missed something, but it's nowhere to be found.

Help please.

D

Hi,

First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH. I thought I was going crazy because no one could answer my question about how to fix this download problem. Anyway on to my question...

I did everything as you said, but I can't find the downloads_controller.sql file so that I can upload it on my phpMyAdmin. Is it because I'm on a mac that it did not show up? I downloaded the contrib again thinking maybe I missed something, but it's nowhere to be found.

Help please.

D

Get the "Download / Free Ship /Pay v5.3 MS 2.2 Farrukh Saeed 7 Aug 2003" which has the sql file.