For a number of years now i've been using osCommerce for a number of customers, refining the 2.2RC2 with each iteration. Despite all the funkiness I grew to like it a lot, and now that I actually tried Magento CE (a daunting, gut twisting experience, RUN Forrest, RUN!) I appreciate osc's straightforwardness even more.
That said, I want to share my newest project: w w w . m i k r o e l . e u (please remove the spaces in between letters).
There is a great number of modifications there and I'm sure that even though there is much more to do and many bugs to fix, many users might benefit from certain changes, so feel free to ask about anything if interested.
The most important features/changes;
- database and codebase all in utf-8, fixing problems with searching for items with weird characters in names,
- store generates modern html5 code, based on <div's>, new, more sensible and uniform classes, id's of elements and CSS to match,
- heavily relying on STS Template System, with small fixes getting rid of tables once and for all,
- static pages, homepage slideshow, additional boxes - all manageable comfortably by the client via the Article Manager contrib with Tiny MCE Editor, expanding osCommerce a little into the realm of more robust CMS's,
- Security by FWR addons,
- SEO by SEO URLS by Chemo and SEO Header Tags by jack_mcs,
- Reviews integrated with product info pages, all old review logic & pages scrapped,
- Scrapped hardcoded email code, moved to a new, simple HTML templates for emails, with simple placeholders in .html files,
- Scrapped old notification system (ticking boxes after placing order) - users now can subscribe via the product info page, and manage that via their account settings,
- Newsletter generated for users based upon what they actually ticked, preview in admin with ability to edit text,
- AJAX search respecting different languages,
- Consolidated and cleaned-up user registration / address book / account edit forms (that were all over the place and somewhat rusty). Improved, regular expression based input validation,
- Many other fixes and changes.