• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What is the difference between CVS and MS2

snowsurfer

What is the differnce between the CVS version and the MS 2 version. My hosting compnaies has a script that installes the CVS version, but I cant get sts_template to work. IS there a template system for CVS?

The CVS version is a development version. Chances are that if your host has a CVS version in an installer it's an old one.

You're much better off using the current MileStone version (2.2MS) which is available here http://www.oscommerce.com/solutions since the support will be much better. A CVS version is never quite finished and may need a lot of changes as time goes on.

Local: Mac OS X 10.5.8 - Apache 2.2/php 5.3.0/MySQL 5.4.10 • Web Servers: Linux

Tools: BBEdit, Coda, Versions (Subversion), Sequel Pro (db management)

Bummer, thats the one that mu hosting company installs. I go into cpanel and choose oscommerce from my scripta. I tried to install milestone2 but i get access denied errors during the database install, is there away around that?

I would refer the hosting company to this thread. They aren't doing any of their clients any favors doing this. They probably didn't understand the difference either and thought they were getting their customers the latest version.

They may choose to change the version they have loaded in cPanel or at least help you with permissions to allow you to install the milestone 2 version.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

I would refer the hosting company to this thread. They aren't doing any of their clients any favors doing this. They probably didn't understand the difference either and thought they were getting their customers the latest version.

Who knows what version they have up?

It could well be a CVS version prior to 2.2MS2.

I tried to install milestone2 but i get access denied errors during the database install, is there away around that?

You're probably making a mistake with the db user name or password.

Look in the old configure.php file or your control panel for the correct ones.

Its not a password thing, I am pretty confident about that. Its a fresh install, I think its a permissions thing to wherever it is trying to put the database, I ahve a help ticket in right now, to see if they will change it to the milestone version. I dont know how easy it is to change it in the install script.

The error I am getting is on step 2 of the install where it asks for user name and password, the way I understand it, it will make the user and the database. Is this correct? I am puttining in the name that I want the database to be called. Maybe I am making a mistke

The error is

Access denied for user: '[email protected]' (Using password: YES)

The error I am getting is on step 2 of the install where it asks for user name and password, the way I understand it, it will make the user and the database.  Is this correct?  I am puttining in the name that I want the database to be called.  Maybe I am making a mistake.

Yep, you're making a mistake. osC can not create or rename the database. This is done somewhere in your control panel.

If you still have the older version's files on the server you can look in catalog/includes/configure.php and you'll find the database information down at the bottom of the file.

// define our database connection

define('DB_SERVER', ''); // eg, localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', '');

define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', '');

define('DB_DATABASE', 'osCommerce');

define('USE_PCONNECT', 'false'); // use persistent connections?

define('STORE_SESSIONS', ''); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'mysql'

The database user name and password are often not the same as your control panel user and password.

Hey thanks, that worked, It let me install over the top, so I have a screwed up install. Right now I have deleted everything and installed the cvs version. I copied the configure.php and made note of the username and password, i renamed the catalog folder and I am in the process of uploading the milestone 2 catalog folder, then I am going to try the install again.

Ill let you know

Success.

I deleted everything and got it clean. I cleaned all my databases out of mysql. I ran through the instll which installed the CVS version. I copied the configure.php file local to my machine. Then I renamed the catalog folder. I uploaded the MS2 version and ran through the install with the username and password and db from the configure file.

The only thing I guess could be wierd now is the database structure is CVS.

Archived