How Did You Hear About Us - Support

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#1   hobbzilla

hobbzilla
  • Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 16:13

This is the thread for my "How Did You Hear About Us" contribution.

Description:
Creates a drop-down box populated by admin entered referral sources that prompts the
customer where they found out about the site.

Admin can also make this required or not.

Also includes ability to control whether or not an "Other" appears in the dropdown and if so, displays an additional text input box.

Download here:
http://www.oscommerc...tributions,2159

Edited by hobbzilla, 07 June 2004 - 16:15.

#2   NextLevelMotoring

NextLevelMotoring
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 00:49

I'm having trouble w/ the contribution, & was hoping you could help. I can't seem to upload the update.sql file into my PHPMyAdmin. it's giving me an error, saying there is a line w/ line 4. Is there somethign wrong with the SQL file or code?

Because of this, the whole site is down, and giving this error:

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/nextlm/nlmotoring-www/catalog/includes/functions/general.php:1275) in /home3/nextlm/nlmotoring-www/catalog/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 67

Thanks for your help!!

#3   bren

bren
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:15

I there,

I am having problems with the SQL file also!

I have the drop down box but when I try to create a new account by clicking ok I get:

"1054 - Unknown column 'customers_info_source_id' in 'field list'

insert into customers_info (customers_info_id, customers_info_number_of_logons, customers_info_date_account_created, customers_info_source_id) values ('60', '0', now(), '1')

[TEP STOP]"

I dont think the tables have been added properly, also using phpadmin.

Cheers for any information, really good contribution!

Bren

#4   bren

bren
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:42

I got it working.

I just put the SQL in manually!

Cheers

Bren /cool.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />

#5   hobbzilla

hobbzilla
  • Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 14:09

Forgot to update a portion of the sql file after initial change was made to table `sources_other`. Thanks for the report! Doh! I have updated the contribution. Enjoy!

SHOULD BE:
==========

CREATE TABLE sources_other (
customers_id int NOT NULL,
sources_other_name varchar(64) NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (customers_id),
);

{vs. PRIMARY KEY (sources_other_customers_id), }

#6   NextLevelMotoring

NextLevelMotoring
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 18:40

Thanks, seems to be working great with that update!

#7   nrlatsha

nrlatsha
  • Members
  • 485 posts
  • Location:The place where folks know what salsa should taste like!

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:59

Great Contrib!

I have a suggestion to "kick it up another notch" I've done this already on my site, but I didn't want to step on your contrib, and you're probably (when I say probably, I mean you are) a much better coder than I am.

Here's what I did. I made the textbox for "other" populate if it has anything in it at all. I added other/referral and a tiny note that if they were referred by another customer to enter the name into the box and they will get a gift cert for referring them after their first order (they must be a member that has placed an order also)

I added the code to admin side customers.php to see if they were referred (=4) and if so, the name of the person, makes it easier for me to track it and who to send the gift cert to.

It wasn't too hard, and of course this is only for Strider's CCGV, but it was just a thought...

Noel

Edited by nrlatsha, 16 June 2004 - 04:00.

9 times out of 10 its a PEBCAK Error (Problem exists between chair and keyboard)

Replace that and you're fine...

#8   Steel

Steel
  • Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 19:46

I have found a bug in this great mod although I do not know where to look to fix it maybe someone else here knows.
Anytime someone picks OTHER the bug adds 1 every one of the people that are listed and 1 to the source they picked, its hard to explain without showing so here is a screen shot of what im talking about this says it all:

[img]http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0603/steelshadow/screenshotref.jpg[/img]

there are 3 people that said OTHER and each one had a different OTHER source typed in but its comming up as 9 people total and 3 for each. When there were only 2 people it had 2 for each OTHER source and 4 people total

any help would be appreaciated
Thanks

#9   Steel

Steel
  • Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 19:53

nrlatsha,
You are not ever steping on anyones toes by added a contribution of any kind. It helps all of us. If some wants to use it they will, if they dont they wont, its up to them but at least they will have the option. As long as you give the original person credit for what you post there is nothing wrong with sharing help to all, thats what the original authors are also doing. If you type Steel Shadow on the contrib site you will see a number of places that I have added a little here or there. Also I was going to do the EXACT same thing you did with the GV and referrel. So please post it on the contrib site or here to help us all.

Thanks
~Steel~

#10   NextLevelMotoring

NextLevelMotoring
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 17:28

I'm having the same issue as Steel - i multiplies the number of others by the total nubmer of other responses posted, so with fifteen entries in other, a response of '1' would show '15', a response with 3 would show '45' etc.

#11   hobbzilla

hobbzilla
  • Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 17:52

I'm having the same issue as Steel - i multiplies the number of others by the total nubmer of other responses posted, so with fifteen entries in other, a response of '1' would show '15', a response with 3 would show '45' etc.

I have confirmed. A fix will be available shortly. This bug has to do with the split_page_results() function being used.

#12   mau

mau
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 18:42

I've installed this contribution and all the files except the create account.php are installed correctly. It appears that with my default files, that most of the info is not in the create account.php but in the includes/modules/account details.php. I did replace the create account.php with the contribution one to see, but then I get 2 kinds of errors.

The first one is on the create account.php page itself;
Line 22
char 3
'document.account_edit.firstname is not null or not an object;

Then I get this;
PHP Warning: Failed to connect to mailserver, verify your "SMTP" setting in php.ini in D:\hshome\lwyllie\starslings.com\catalog\includes\classes\email.php on line 500 PHP Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent in D:\hshome\lwyllie\starslings.com\catalog\includes\functions\general.php on line 29

I've verified the php.ini file. I've also checked to make sure there are no spaces before or after the php p> code, etc.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.
Thanks,
Lisa

#13   mau

mau
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 18:04

bumping up for some help:)

#14   hobbzilla

hobbzilla
  • Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 18:19

Are you using osCommerce MS2 ??

#15   mau

mau
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 18:17

Yes, I am using osCommerce 2.2-MS2.

#16   popcorn

popcorn
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 14:27

I have installed this contribution and works fine for the predifined results that you can enter, but if someone chooses other and enters a name or whatever - this isn't showing up in admin>reports>referral sources.

Does anyone have an answer to this?

#17   NextLevelMotoring

NextLevelMotoring
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 22:23

popcorn - did you try clicking "other" to get to that screen where it breaks down what those customers are typing in?

#18   popcorn

popcorn
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 16:19

OK thanks, now I feel foolish!

#19   mau

mau
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 15:35

Do you think it's likely not an error with the contribution but rather with the smtp server instead? If I install the contribution, it works more or less as in the customer signing up info is placed in the database as well as the referrer information but after they do the sign up that error I mentioned above earlier pops up and they don't receive an email confirming their registration.

#20   mau

mau
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 15:07

bumping up for help