• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to move osCommerce?

Hi Everyone,

I need help on how to move osCommerce to a new web host. The original webmaster that set everything up in gone. And I have no clue on what to do.

I'm sure there's more to it than moving updating the DNS name for the server, and transfering the files to the new host.

Does anybody have a step-by-step manual or checklist?

Thanks.

DC

backup the database, download all your files, upload all your files to new server, import your backed up database change the paths and information in the two configure.php files admin/includes/configure.php and catalog/includes/configure.php

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

Thanks 241.

I'll give it a try, I hope it works out. Otherwise I'd have to call in the pros, and end up with a huge bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've moved osCommerce to the new site, and the SQL database was imported successfully.

Everything in the catalog seems to be working fine. However, I have a strange problem.

when I type in the address:

www.my-domain.isp/shop/admin

the admin page doesn't allow me to login, it doesn't accept my password. Did I leave something out somewhere?

I forgot to add:

Does it have something to do with .htaccess? Which directories do I need to add them in?

Thanks for your help!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi, I've moved osCommerce to the new site, and the SQL database was imported successfully.

Everything in the catalog seems to be working fine. However, I have a strange problem.

the admin page doesn't allow me to login, it doesn't accept my password. Did I leave something out somewhere?

Excuse a maybe stupid question, but where is the SQL database located?

• 1 year later...
backup the database, download all your files, upload all your files to new server, import your backed up database change the paths and information in the two configure.php files admin/includes/configure.php and catalog/includes/configure.php

Will this help if I do a fresh install, then simply upload my catalog to the install directory? My idiotic server people have taken it upon themselves to copy and paste my entire catalog to a new folder for a sub-domain so it can be redirected. They did this without warning and I have since been adding items to my new folder. Only trouble is that all my backups are going to the old folder they told me I could safely delete. When I re-named it to old catalog, I got error messages with no images showing. So I renamed it back and now it works. Just two catalogs instead of one!

Why is it so hard to get people who should know what they are doing to listen to you when you've just told them that you've installed the program - not just copied it and uploaded it! (Don't answer, it is rhetorical anyway you look at it)

Any help will do, thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Unconditional Love Makes The World Turn.

When we stop and smell the flowers, we can all live instead of merely existing. We spend too much time infront of computers daily and not enough time in wonderment and awe at what we can achieve in life. creating these beasts is both a blessing and a curse!

Believe in yourself as though no one else will and you will find that The World will begin to believe in You Too!

• 11 months later...

Did it work for you - I am in a similiar situation.

Sorry to bring this up again. But has anyone of you had any luck with this? I have not been able to login in ever since I moved my files. ( I changed URL and hosting)

I am not being able to log in with any user.

Does anybody have a step-by-step manual or checklist?

I can try one, not sure if I will get all the steps, but with the resources here there will surely be folks that can add to or correct this.

1. Back up your database in pure sql. No compression. Note the name of it. Note the path to it.

2. Download your entire store using an ftp client that is capable of automatically changing from ascii to binary mode and be sure it is set to transfer php,xml,sql, and css files in ascii. All image files in binary.

3. Have your domain name transferred to the new host.

4. FTP your files to the new host.

5. Get login information for sql server, and absolute path to your file space from new host.

6. Change configure.php files to reflect new login information and paths.

7. Using phpMyAdmin, run the sql file of your last db backup.

8. Log in/start troubleshooting.

Most errors will be in the path values in the configure.php files. Just knowing the URL to your store is not enough. You need to know the exact path from / to your file space, usually something like /var/www/yourname/public_html/ or something.

Community Bootstrap Edition, Edge

Avoid the most asked question. See How to Secure My Site and How do I...?

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I'm also moving my store from one host to another, but also to another domene.

I've tried to use the explanations above in this thread, but I don't understand all of it.

I have updated my database and stored the sql file on my computer.

I have downloaded all files from my old webhotell and uploaded to my new webhotell at my new domain.

Since I have changed domain also, I need to change that in all necessary files.

In the configure.php files, I especially wonder how to change this code:

define('DIR_FS_DOCUMENT_ROOT', '/customers/myoldsite.com/myoldsite.com/httpd.www/catalog/'); // where the pages are located on the server

For my new site I have changed it to:

define('DIR_FS_DOCUMENT_ROOT', '/customers/mynewsite.no/mynewsite.no/httpd.www/public_html/catalog/'); // where the pages are located on the server

When I open my ftp for my new domain, all my files is in a folder called public_html. Therefore all files are at public_html/catalog.

Is the above correct?

Is mynewsite.no supposed to be there twice?

I do not know where the /customers/ come from? Is it from the oscommerce installation?

I have got several info from my new host when creating the new webhotell, but I'm not sure what info to put in the code above, so please help :-)

Thanks!

Best regards

Kjolebutikken

And also wonder, do I have to perform a new install of oscommerce in my new webhotel, and then go through the configuration steps there, like I did the first time? Or is it sufficient to upload database, upload storefiles, and change in configure.php files?

Best regards

Kjolebutikken

• 4 months later...

I just uploaded my site to my new server and changed everything that was needed (configuration files, permissions, imported database).

Everything looks to work fine except some images that aren't displayed.

Since I have repair my permissions (644 for files, 755 for folders), I can't figure out what's wrong.

So, anybody can help?

URL: http://www.coolmodels.gr/index.php

Thanks guys...

• 6 months later...

hi

i am just trying to move a website from one host to another - to complicate matters the domain name is also changing

i have downloaded all files via ftp from old website

uploaded all files on new website

imported last copy of database

changed the 2 config files

but when i type the website in browser all i get is a download box pop up and the browser download the index file

web address is www.poloart.co.uk

this also happens if i put

www.poloart.co.uk/admin

anyone any ideas

sorted it

basically when i downloaded all the files, it skiped all the files in the modules directory

uploaded them and everything works fine so happy to report the the process listed in previous posts is spots on

problem was user error - ie me

thanks

mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've got a variation on the theme here. The catalog came over to the new location, fine. Working great!

When I try to go to admin, I get a configuration error.

Looking at the server log, the error indicates it cannot find the OLD path to the admin directory

I have queried the configuration table in the database, double checked the three configure.php files (we have chosen to go with a distinctly named admin path, the original admin path still exists, hence 3 configuration.php files.) All three configure.phps have the correct new path.

I've done a text search on every folder I can think of for the old path. All to no avail.

Where is that bugger hiding?

Thanks,

Brig

• 1 month later...

I moved my oscommerce website to a new domain name within the same hosting account! I followed the usual steps and updated both config files. I used the same database from the previous domain name so no changes were made there! Everything works perfect except on the new site, all the buttons images are missing! Although the links work as they supposed to!

Please help! Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

if someone is still having this problem or if someone comes across this problem, all you need to do is to carefully and intelligently replace the paths in both configuration files as have been suggested.

In my case, I was moving from my local environment to a hosting environment.

In my local environment, I had something like this: http://localhost/ which was pointing to a directory on the webroot like this c:/xampp/htdocs/onlineshop/catalog/...

However, I configured my domain to point directly to catalog(!). Which means on the hosting server, I had to replace paths like:

define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/onlineshop/catalog/'); to define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/');

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', 'C:/xampp/htdocs/onlineshop/catalog/'); to define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/var/www/xyz/html/onlineshop/');

So it's just a matter of intelligently replacing the paths.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've spent the last 2 days trying to transfer my osCommerce site to a new server. I done the following:

1) Downloaded the files from the old server

2) Exported the database in phpMyAdmin on the old server

3) Changed the nameservers of my current domain to my new hosting

4) Assigned the domain to my hosting using cPanel

5) Setup FTP account for new server

6) Uploaded the files to my new server

7) Imported the database in phpMyadmin on my new server

8) Opened the file /includes/configure.php and amended all the paths and database details (as the database name had changed)

9) Then opened the file /admin/includes/configure.php amended the details in the required lines

BUT now when I attempt to login to the admin cPanel of osCommerce, the server prompt shows as normal to enter the password (protected by .htaccess & .htpasswd) but the password is not being accepted the prompt keeps reloading. I am definitely using the correct password.

I've checked on this forum and many others but I still cannot seem to find the resolution.

I have tried deleting the .htpasswd & .htaccess files as mentioned is a few threads I've come across, I managed to also delete the users in the administration table in phpMyAdmin, I then navigated back to the the admin cPanel to setup new admin, this works perfect.

BUT when I randomly click on options within the cPanel the server suddenly drops down the login form again and prompts me to login, I try the username and password I used to get it and it does nothing, the drop-down reloads again.

Support at my new host (Heart Internet) have been very helpful, trying to assist me all day but I am beginning to think that it has something to do with osCommerce. I recall when originally installing osCommerce on my old hosting, when setting the first admin, it advises you to protect with .htpasswd & .htaccess which I did. When you select this option I believe it may must run a script to generate the .htpasswd & .htaccess files and generate some new code to only allow this access. I'm just guessing now though, as you can probably tell I'm no php developer.

I could really do with some guidance, I seem to have tried everything any forum says but nothing seems to be work.

To cut that short, the login prompt which .htpasswd and .htaccess show at login does not accept my username and password and I'm unable to access my osCommerce admin, I have tried generating encrypted passwords and amending the files via FTP but it does not seem to work either.

Has anyone had this problem or that can help me?

Regards

J

• 1 month later...

Moving an older version of osCommerce to a new host (working on a overhaul with a new version but I need this one up and running for now), I've followed the instructions listed here:

I exported my database and moved it to a new one

I ftp'd out the site from the old server

I set up the hosting and dns to the new server

I ftp'd the site into the new space

I updated the admin/includes/configure.php file with the new info

I updated the catalog/includes/configure.php file with the new info

However, when I go to connect to my admin site, it cannot login to the database and says that access is denied as if I have the wrong password or user info. I know it's correct as I can copy/paste the password from my code into the login page and get in. Does osCommerce have issue with case and/or special characters in passwords?

At the main page I get:

"Server Requirement Error: register_globals is disabled in your PHP configuration. This can be enabled in your php.ini configuration file or in the .htaccess file in your catalog directory." (I looked at/for both files. I can't find the first one and the second seems not to have any edits or places for me to enter such details)

At the Admin page I get:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'safetysignsdata@'@'184.168.46.146' (using password: YES) in/**full path edited**/admin/includes/functions/database.php on line 19

Unable to connect to database server

What am I missing? Obviously, I'm not too sharp when it comes with this, the guy who set this up for us flaked out on us and I've had to learn as I go.

Archived