• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Removing DOB Required Field

jbaum

Being a newbie to OSC and having spend over 50 hours trying to get rid of the Date of Birth on the signup page is driving me round the bend.

Apparently there is supposed to be a configuration menu that allows one to turn off the requirement to have this field filled out, but I'm unable to locate it.

I've gone into the schema and changed the DOB field to allow NULL and have gone into /root/application_top.php and modified

"define('ACCOUNT_DOB', 'false');"

This clears the input form from the sign-up page but gives me an error when I try to save the information.

I've been going round in circles trying to find the origin for this field and how to get rid of it all together from the system.

Any ideas or suggestions? :(

Hi Tom!

I read your post. I am totally flying blind with the program but there is no "Customer Details" page in my Admin Configuration? I simply have a Customer "List" and another entry for "Orders".

Is there an update I am missing?

And if you do have a "Customer Details" link is that all you need to do to make the changes to the form?

Thanks very much

Hi Joe,

Please slow down, your really not flying blind.

From the front blue graphic image of the Administration window.

Click on Configuration

Now from the Configuration window click on "Customer Details"

Now you can turn off/on (true/false) any of the following fields for you customers.

Date of Birth

Company

Suburb

State

Have fun and HTH

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm a newbie as well, but I'm also missing the "Customer Details" subchoice under Configuration.

From the documentation, I believe it is supposed to follow "Images". If I look at the URLs for the Configuration subchoices, I see this:

My Store ...admin/configuration.php?gID=1

Minimum Values ...admin/configuration.php?gID=2

Maximum Values ...admin/configuration.php?gID=3

Images ...admin/configuration.php?gID=4

Shipping/Packaging ...admin/configuration.php?gID=7

Product Listing ...admin/configuration.php?gID=8

etc.

If I try to be clever and type in the URL ...admin/configuration.php?gID=5, I get an empty frame. (If I type in ...admin/configuration.php?gID=6, I get an apparently undocumented subchoice of "Module Options".)

So, is my installation missing something, or more likely am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks,

Bill

If you are using an older version of osCommerce, it might not have an admin page to set up Customer Details. The simplest fix to this would be to upgrade to MS2. You can find out what version you have by finding the PROJECT_VERSION line in includes/application_top.php

Hth,

Matt

Always back up before making changes.

I obviously have one of those "older versions". I do not have the menu you're talking about.

Obviously my ISP's script is not kept up to date.

But it will be a pain to try a fresh install. Based on past experience linking with databases is complicated by the ISP. It requires a complete (all files) change in the connection string.

My problem is that setting this up is a ton of work and I really don't "exactly" need it. I usually am working with simple order forms like this one. I do not need the front end of OSCommerce, in fact it's really difficult to adapt it. OSCommerce is a "site" in itself.

ORDER FORM

The only reason I'm making a change is because the current (very elementary) cart does not offer an Affilate program that works with PayPal.... period.

I think I'm going to search for an easier solution. This is a phenominal program, just much more phenominal than I need.

Thanks for your help!

I find myself in the same boat as these other chaps, Config screen w/o Customer Details option, and when I use ecartz's (Matt's) suggestion, I find that I am using:

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce 2.2-CVS');

Am I totally screwed up here? This is what the ISP's script provided. How much does this vary from : osCommerce 2.2-MS2 which I downloaded from this site?

"Customer Details" is definitely missing, but the osCommerce site doesn't provide any idea of what the current stable Admin pages/menus should look like. Sorry, but I am coming at this from a "designer" perspective and not a "programmer" perspective. Not certain as to what the nuances between "Development" and "Milestone" releases are.

Sounds like I need to scrap CVS in favor of MS2. Can I simply swap catalog folder contents to achieve this or is the SQL database irretrievably linked to the CVS version?

I see lots of potential here, but not much GUI to work with. Is that because I have the wrong version?

Thanks for any and all help.

Regards,

Mark Harrison

Archived