• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

VIES VAT Number Validation

danvanw

Hi all,

My query comes as a response to the latest tax law enforcement from the EU where tax is charged to non-EU companies who sell to EU customers.

The situation being that the VAT rate is added to the order total in the checkout (which is easy enough to implement with osCommerce) if the EU customer is not registered as a company. If however the customer is a VAT registered company, there is no way that I know of that allows them to input their VAT number and have their purchase VAT exempt.

What I am proposing that someone should write a script as a contribution to allow EU customers (who are already logged on) to input their VAT registered number in the 'checkout_shipping.php' and when 'checkout_process.php' is loaded, the VAT number would be sent to VIES website along with other variable to see if the number is valid and return to the 'checkout_success.php' for a valid number or 'checkout_shipping.php' with an error message for an invalid number.

I don't know too much about writing this sort of script but I think it could be a similar principle to processing say a credit card number through Authorize.net and getting a response back.

The VIES VAT number validation application is located on the VIES website at:

http://www.europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_cus...en/vieshome.htm

If there is no plan to implement this in the very near future, could someone please suggest to me where to look to get this integrated?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived