• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

border on left and right colums

tec

Hi all, I am trying ot get a border around the sides, you know, wehre the products are listed and the reviews etc.

Ihave tried changes in the CSS but apparently I have yet to change the proper one.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks in advance

Tanya :P

take a look in catalog/stylesheet.css (if you're directories are the same)

you may need to add your own peice to this

but don't ask me, I'm new to CSS.

www.php-princess.net has some basics on doing similar stuff in css, but it might get complicated if you don't really know osc

hey There, if you go to

http://www.bedroomtoys.org/catalog/default...lt.php?cPath=61

(be nice, I am still working on it and it is my first)

I would like to put a border around every white box on the page.

The sides and the middle where the products are.

The following will show how to change the width of the border around your white boxes and changes its color.

The width of the borders is controlled in the file includes/classes/boxes.php

around lines 74-82 you will see this

class infoBox extends tableBox {

function infoBox($contents) {

$info_box_contents = array();

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => $this->infoBoxContents($contents));

$this->table_cellpadding = '1';

$this->table_parameters = 'class="infoBox"';

$this->tableBox($info_box_contents, true);

}

specifically you are looking for this line:

$this->table_cellpadding = '1';

change the 1 to 5 and you will get a 5px border instead of a 1px border

To change the color of the border you have to open stylesheet.css in your catalog directory

look for this code:

.infoBox {

background: blue;

}

The color in your css file may be different or in hex code. Simply change the color value to the desired value.

Perdure - Transparent Object Relational Persistence

A semi-hijack of this thread, for a quick moment.

So, if I wanted to put a box around the area where my products list on my site, I would go in and change the CSS for the border, similar to what you described?

Just a note: You need to optimize your images. After 1 minute of download time, I gave up.

I had no idea it took that long, I thought I optimized the heck out of them already. Man, thats 250 products.

Is there another way of doing this that you know of?

I though I remembered someone telling me setting the http snd https, apparently if you set it one way it takes longer for your cart to load. Something like if both were set to the same or something. Mind you, I could be completely lost, in which case, I am right on track. :)

TO ALL THE OTHER REPLIES..... :o

After reading through everyones post, I think I realized that I forgot to define a width on it, I will check it out. I put the border on both the info box in the CSS but it did not work, this is what leads me to believe I missed a field somewhere.

Thanks y'all

:wink:

Just a note: You need to optimize your images. After 1 minute of download time, I gave up.

I had no idea it took that long, I thought I optimized the heck out of them already. Man, thats 250 products.

Is there another way of doing this that you know of?

I though I remembered someone telling me setting the http snd https, apparently if you set it one way it takes longer for your cart to load. Something like if both were set to the same or something. Mind you, I could be completely lost, in which case, I am right on track. :)

:wink:

I know, but your problem is you have 10 images on your home page that is 15 to 20k and a header image that is 45k that it 245k of bandwidth. Dial up surfers are going to hate it. You header shouldn't be more that 20k and the small image shouldn't be larger than 7k . I'm just saying that you have more work to do. Check out a contrib called big images, check it out.

Steve

-------------------------

thanks steve will do.

I am still in the process of reading up on how to take out the 'new items' images. I dont want that many on the first page.

Come to think of it, I dont want any in there right now.

Hey can I control what is put inthere?

:?

You can control how many items are put there in the admin. In the Configuration->Maximum Values, edit for New Products Module. You can control which products are displayed there by editing the date added field using phpMyAdmin or a contribution.

Paint Shop Pro has some batch processing which might help if you need to do conversions on 250 images.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

alrighty, thanks everyone.

I got the new products down to 3, :)

I got the images omtimized again, using batch in PSP. :)

now...I am a little lost on this PHPMyAdmin. I am assuming, I can go download it somewhere. Is this another open source project?

Should I be doing some research before I dive into this a try to fix the dates on the products?

Or should I be steering clear being a PHP intern! :stupid:

soory, been dying to use this smiley!

I'm new to phpMyAdmin too. It's in the control panel or similar web administration site of many hosting companies. It shows you all the tables in the database and you can edit things directly there. The osC admin lets you edit some of the database, phpMyAdmin lets you edit all of it. I don't know how to choose to have no image in the admin after you have chosen an image. In phpMyAdmin you can, edit the image name or NULL out the database entry.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

I am a graphic design consultant and upload all images at 72dpi. This is one of the first things you learn in school.

The reason why you upload at 72dpi is because your (or atleast most) monitor cant produce anything above it!

Photoshop does this easily. Other programs do too.

I'm not aware of images having a DPI number. They have a pixel size, like 57x100 pixels. How many inches that is on screen depends on the monitor. I try not to have the images shrunk by the browser because that is wasting bandwidth. Your page will load faster if you shrink your images to the size they are going to be in Paint Shop Pro or equivalent.

Hey, ya, a DPI is dots per Inch; how many dots of colour per inch in the image.

I will check out the PHP admin where you suggested and see what I can get my fingers into .

thanks a bunch

:)

I think the other problem is with resizing is, if I shrink them to be the size of teh small view image, than they are not big enough to see well when they click for larger view.

I tried doing this and setting the heights to 150 and it just was not big enough, ( 150 was the full view image size)

Hey, ya, a DPI is dots per Inch; how many dots of colour per inch in the image.
I know, but digital images are dimensionless (no inches), they just have dots with no specified size of the dots.

I think the other problem is with resizing is, if I shrink them to be the size of teh small view image, than they are not big enough to see well when they click for larger view.
I think there is a contribution that allows you to have separate images for the small and large view to get around the too small of a view problem. We had already increased our small images to 96x144 and decided to just get rid of the click to enlarge link.

Archived