• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Reducing Thumbnail Size !

tuscanbluw

Hello,

I know I have found the article and file beofre, but ive been through the forum and cant find it now, can some one please help me,

I am wanting to reduce the file size of my thumbnails as they are the same file size as my normal product images. I am running version os 2.2

Can someone please help me locate the file, or mod. I have access to gd 1.x and gd 2.0

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Gregory Facer

http://onlinestore.tuscanblue.com

:D Thank you for asking the same question that I had. Here is my previous post:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...1320&highlight=

It looks like there are solutions, but I have been hanging out to see if there would be a standard one in OsCommerce. This whole issue seems strange to me since the thumbnail size is pretty much a show stopper in my situation. For example if regular pictures are 50k (a little large I admit) and we load 10 thumbnail for the new home page, that is 1/2 MB per page load. We blew out out bandwidth limit in a few weeks and the page takes quite a while to load. Why everyone does not have this issue is a mystery.

Somewhat related. When I discussed the 50k size with the client, they pointed out that they can load a 50k file on eBay and eBay automatically reduces the size. So it may be a good idea to progammically adjust the main picture size as well as automatically creating thumbnails.

As you can see from the link, there are several contributions that address these issues. I'm not sure what is best. I'm going to switch to the milestone release since we are not live.

Please post your thoughts and solutions you have implimented.

Nice to have company - love the forums.

Thankyou for that reply, i have reinstalled my entire store, and used that mo pics mod,

my store is located at http://tuscanblue.com/templates

However my thumbnail image is still showing up at full file size, just wondering if anyone could possibley have a once look over my code, as i have think i have followed the install.txt file to the letter, however extra assistance would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone can help and gets it to work, I would be happy to provide a free Blue 15 webhosting account to you through my hosting company, TuscanBlue.

Please contact me and I can supply you some ftp details.

Thankyou in advance

Regards

Greg

I have followed the install.txt file, i created a thumb folder under images and made a smal file and uploaded it to the thumbs folder.

What about the database, im am not sure what you mean by that, i know its mysql, but do i manually have to add it to the database

Archived