• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How was this done?

I ran across a site in the "live shops" section here, and their store is setup pretty close to how I want to setup mine. I contacted them, but they said they didn't know how it was done because they hired a third party to do it.

I wanted to see if anyone here could help me out. The site that is setup how I want to set up my site is at: www.gearzoo.com

1. Im particularly am interested in how they made the center column of the main page, that displays one item after another.

2. Also, how did they get the catalog to display at the root url (www.gearzoo.com and not www.gearzoo.com/catalog)

3. Last the shaded columns on the left and right, how they flow together.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Brandon

2. Also, how did they get the catalog to display at the root url (www.gearzoo.com and not www.gearzoo.com/catalog)

There are a couple of goods threads about how to do this

http://www.www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32670

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...t=32695&start=0

Basic Steps(I hope I have included all of them):

1) - install OSC into your root directory

2) - Rename catalog/default.php to index.php

3) - Rename catalog/includes/languages/YOUR LANGUAGE/default.php to index.php

4) - Open catalog/includes/application_top.php and change define('FILENAME_DEFAULT', 'default.php');

to

define('FILENAME_DEFAULT', 'index.php');

Thanks for the help Joe!

That seems easy enough.

Does anyone know this part:

I wanted to see if anyone here could help me out. The site that is setup how I want to set up my site is at: www.gearzoo.com  

1. Im particularly am interested in how they made the center column of the main page, that displays one item after another.  

Thanks,

Brandon

<gentle reminder> Bumping is not allowed. If no one knows the answer, no one can help you today, or tomorrow....

It looks like they modified the New Products box display. I don't know how. You could search the Wiki files for information on how to modify box and page display.

d

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

Looks like they edited includes/modules/new_products.php to show one listing per line, alternating image placement. Also, they probably made a new class for the content box as well, in includes/classes/boxes.php, but maybe just some stylesheet edits on the old one. You could always email and ask :P

I suggest you take a look at new_products.php and start playing around with it. You'll also need to edit default.php to get the correct placement.

Good luck!

I came across a contribution called ThumbAds. Has anyone used this before? I'm wondering if this will create the "Featured Products" type of table that is similar to the one on www.gearzoo.com.

Thanks,

Brandon

I came across a contribution called ThumbAds. Has anyone used this before? I'm wondering if this will create the "Featured Products" type of table that is similar to the one on www.gearzoo.com.

Thanks,

Brandon

There is a good thread on this that I responded to before http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...ghlight=#141253

Enjoy :)

Thanks for the help.

I loaded the ThumbAds contribution, it was very easy to install and use, it did just what I wanted, it's a very cool addition. I'm going to try and find out how to get descriptions to show now.

If anyone could point me in the right direction on how to get the left and right columns to look like the ones at gearzoo.com (the solid shade look from top to bottom) it would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Brandon

Search for info on how to modify the look of infoboxes

Those boxes just don't have graphics or borders and are the same color as the background of the column table.

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

If anyone could point me in the right direction on how to get the left and right columns to look like the ones at gearzoo.com (the solid shade look from top to bottom) it would greatly appreciate it.

You can start by removing the spaces between the infox boxes to make them all one column http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...ve+space+box%2A

In case anyone else is interested in setting the "featured products" box to display the items listed in rows, 1 item per row, I was able to modify the "featured.php" file in catalog/includes/modules to get it to work,

changed at line 48:

}    

$col ++;

if ($col > 2) {

$col = 0;

$row ++;

}

}

to:

}    

$col = 0;

$row ++;