• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Editing Privacy, Conditions, Shipping pages

ellencol

i have made countless attempts at puting content into the privacy and conditions pages, I downloaded the Australia Post Shipping Calculator but have not attempted to instal that until I can at least successfully edit the other pages.

I have this showing define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This text can be edited. It\'s really easy to do!');  I put my content into the hilighted section then click save.   Go to my store and click on Privacy and yes the text I put in does show but at the top left corner of the home page so I am missing something, I checked the other pages and they are the same.  Could someone please show me what is supposed to be on those pages for me to edit? 

I found this and tried again, will add a screenshot of the result :-

<pre>

</pre>

<p><!--?php

/*

$Id$

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

Copyright © 2002 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

define('NAVBAR_TITLE', 'Privacy Notice');

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Privacy Notice');

define('TEXT_INFORMATION', 'put here your privacy information.');

?--></p>

I am sure the solution is a simple one but I have spent days on it so would really appreciate any help offered, thank you

post-343152-0-74088700-1491258210_thumb.jpg

Hi Ellen

Seems you have messed up your privacy.php file.

The unaltered file is as follows - just copy the code and give it another try:

<?php
/*
  $Id$

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2002 osCommerce

*/

define('TEXT_INFORMATION', 'Put here your Privacy Notice information.');
?>

What do you use to edit the code? If you try it eg with MS Word it will never work!  Use a simple text editor for editing .php files.

Good luck!

Kind regards - Felix

Whoever finds errors and misspellings in my postings can keep them  o:)

Moving from 2.2 MS to 2.3.4 BS EDGE - and I love this version!

I might show "online" all the time - but I might be away from my computer  ;)

The file you are showing is includes/languages/english/privacy.php

Delete all this

<pre>

</pre>

<p><!--?php
/*
  $Id$

*/

?--></p>

and replace it with this

<?php
/*
  $Id$

*/

?>

Save it, then look at the Privacy page on your website. It should have a heading Privacy and the text on the page should read put here your privacy information.

If that isn't what it looks like, come back and let us know.

If it does look like that, change the text

put here your privacy information. 

to whatever text you would like there, being careful to add text only between the the to single quote (') marks.

For example the relevant line would read

define('TEXT_INFORMATION', 'Hey, here is my new information!');

Be careful when you use apostrophes, you need to escape them otherwise your page will stop working. For example the word can't needs to be written like this -> can\'t

Now check your Privacy page again to make sure everything works.

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

Thank you both for the replies, by the way I use notepad for any editing.

I used both suggestions with the same result, when I click on Privacy on my site the whole script comes up in the top left of the home page :(  I did not add any text just left the file as it was

Frank I tried with both the codes you and Felix posted and got the same result, the script came up on my home page when I clicked Privacy in to check. I deleted my browsing history between each try to see if that made any difference

There was no text, I possibly deleted it by mistake and used one from a youtube tutorial, I only used what you, Frank and Felix posted above, should there have been more to it? 

Hey Ellen

By looking at your site: Both language files for condition.php and privacy.php are missing. But the site shows ok. Thus the problem IS the language file!

Just open a new file on WordPad or notepad (which I don't know) - copy the definitions from above to that file and save it as privacy.php

It might be adisable that you enable "show file extensions" in your explorer settings - that way you notice maybe, that the file gets saved as conditions.php.txt (or else..) 

It must just be named .php.

Upload the saved file to your server. (catalog\admin\includes\languages\english\...)  DO NOT edit files within osCommerce! this is not working as expected. Always edit the locally.

Give it a try and let us know the outcome!

Kind regards - Felix

Felix I followed your instructions to the letter (had to do a bit of searching on how to save and open PHP files in notepad first)  I did not make any changes to the code just pasted it from the notepad file then saved, I then opened my site and clicked on privacy and got the same result as before.   These boxes for privacy etc are the only areas I have had problems with.  I have left it as it is so that you can see what happens which you click on Privacy.

Thanks again for taking the time to try to help me

Hi Ellen

You must update your LANGUAGE privacy.php file. This is why I wrote : Just open a new file on WordPad and copy only these infos into it then save as described above and upload to the destination below.

You have normally multiple files of the same name: the core files and the language files. Your site misses the language file! (as well as the conditions.php file) catalog\includes\languages\english\... is the path to the language files for the store front . (Sorry - there was a error from my side with the admin....--> there are all the files for the admin side - it was very very late....). 

You have updated the privacy.php file from catalog. You will have to remove the code pasted into it from there.

Hope that helps you further

Kind regards - Felix

Felix on that last attempt I deleted what was already in the file in my admin and put the code into notepad and saved it as a php file, I then copied the file from notepad into the admin section and got  the same result.

This is what I pasted there from the php  file I had saved

<?php
/*
  $Id$

*/

define('TEXT_INFORMATION', 'Put here your Privacy Notice information.');
?>

I changed nothing but got the same result as before.  The url in the address bar is   https://craftnmore.com.au/admin/define_language.php?lngdir=english&filename=english/privacy.php

Some tool you were using changed the opening <?php to <!--?php. That is no good. You weren't using the "Define Language" tool at some point, were you? A few days ago someone else reported using it to edit a language file, and had the same corruption. HTML WYSIWYG page editors (Dreamweaver, et al.) can do the same damage if used to edit PHP, and you're not very careful.

Probably corrupt HTML WYSIWYG page editors installed for define language editor.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

Archived