Devious Trick or Super Smart

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21   14steve14

14steve14
  • Members
  • 4,385 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 15:21

Dont use oscommerce to sell, you will realise how outdated it is. Use something else. LOL.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Find information about the bootstrap community version here

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

#22   burt

burt

I drink and I know things

• Community Team
  • 12,492 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 18:04

When we have lots of stock of a {widget} we sell it for less, when we have little stock and the restock is months away we sell them for more.

From the horses mouth...

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  It is not specifically aimed at you.

IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

If you are still on the old style osCommerce, it is time to move to Responsive.

#23   John W

John W

Woof Woof!

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 20:01

I used to manage restaurants and that was the basic scenario of supply and demand in produce.  I remember when tomatoes were stupid expensive and some places didn't buy them.  Another time when lettuce went to $50 a case of 24 and it was crap.

I sell products of nature now and I can't often get what I need, but i feel bad about gouging someone on price. 

I also feel like we're all getting old.  Some days are better than others. 

I'm not really a dog.

#24   burt

burt

• Community Team
  • 12,492 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:24

I also feel like we're all getting old.  Some days are better than others.

+1

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  It is not specifically aimed at you.

IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

#25   burt

burt

• Community Team
  • 12,492 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:26

I used to manage restaurants and that was the basic scenario of supply and demand in produce.  I remember when tomatoes were stupid expensive and some places didn't buy them.  Another time when lettuce went to $50 a case of 24 and it was crap.

I sell products of nature now and I can't often get what I need, but i feel bad about gouging someone on price.

To be fair, I did not feel like I was gouged.
I wanted the product, it was at a price I was willing to pay, I bought it.

If the price goes down in the future, I don't mind, as I have what I need *now*...

#26   clustersolutions

clustersolutions
  • Community Sponsor
  • 453 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:33

You try to email them and ask for the sale price? A lot of places warrant that request within certain time of purchase. It would be interesting to see what they say.

I just bought an item (actually from a shop running Magento I think, but that's unimportant) that
was the last one in stock.

As soon as I bought it and confirmed Paypal, I went back to the shop and looked at the product.

The product is now marked "OUT OF STOCK", and has a special price of approx 25% lower than
I paid, along with "let me know when this product is back in stock".

I've no doubt that people searching will see this, sign up and be notified when back in stock. But at that time I suspect the price will be the same as I paid or higher.

In other words, the special price is only on there to get people to sign up for notifications.

Question:

Devious Trick or Super Smart ?

#27   BrockleyJohn

BrockleyJohn
  • Community Sponsor
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:56

I've been asked to look at bumping prices at low stock for someone selling on eBay. This is actively to prevent anyone buying the last item and so keep the listing active until more stock is available. Good till cancelled listings don't renew at zero stock and then you lose all the purchase history, watches and other search juice associated with it and have to create a new listing when they're back in stock.

BS Edge for PHP7 - here on github: https://github.com/B...i/PHP-7-changes

Bootstrap addons - one per branch on github: https://github.com/B...iew-of-Branches

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later integration at 2.3.x

#28   MrPhil

MrPhil
  • Members
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 14:51

Raising the price on low inventory in order to discourage buying runs contrary to all good business practices, but I suppose that something like eBay not having a good system in the first place (to maintain a listing even with 0 inventory) could justify it. What if inventory was falsely bumped up instead, to keep the listing active? Will it be physically replenished in time that some shipments won't be excessively delayed? What are the consequences if it isn't? If a brick-and-mortar store runs out of stock on an item, they'll issue you a rain check if they want to keep your business.

Better yet, suggest to eBay that they modify their system to preserve the state on 0 inventory, and not purge everything, as you'll be replenishing soon. How did we get to discussing eBay techniques?

#29   burt

burt

• Community Team
  • 12,492 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 15:45

I guess it's the same (concept) as reducing a price when you can't shift the stock or it is end-of-line or whatever?

#30   puddlec

puddlec
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:28

about Ebay, they have got an out of stock feature, you just need to enable a setting to your account, to enable it, so it keeps a listing when you have temporary ran out of stock,  which they had for a few years now, which i use myself.