• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New 2.3.4 Install fails

thumb

Been using a very old version of OSC for years and now my host has changed their php version forcing me to upgrade to the newest OSC version of 2.3.4. I've uploaded the catalog folder into the public_html folder, changed the permissions of the two configure files. When I type in the url to install http://www,mywebsite.com/catalog/ all I get is a blank white screen with a message at the bottom saying "transferring data from www.mywebsite.com" forever. I've tried 755 permssion and 777 permission with no luck. It's late and I just had triple bypass surgery so I can't stay up any more so I'll just let it run and see what happens but if I'm ding something wrong please let me know what to do.

If you're just starting over with a fresh install of osC, don't use 2.3.4. It's getting rather old and is mostly unsupported. It doesn't even work with current PHP levels. Use the 2.3.4BS Edge version, which is the most up to date. It's on Github (instructions are on this forum). Be sure to first save/back up your existing database so that you can upgrade it to the Edge version without losing any existing data. Don't lose your product images, etc., too.

What did you change to permissions 755? That's usually for a directory (folder), not for files. You almost never want to set permissions to 777 -- that's very unsafe and isn't even permitted on many systems ("global write permissions"). Your base site directory (public_html) may be different permissions from directories under it, such as 750. Don't go changing permissions willy-nilly, and keep records of what you change so you can revert your changes if necessary.

If after checking all these things, you still get a WSOD, we can dive further into that. There are many causes for this. Also check your system log to see if you are getting 500 errors. There are many things that can cause this, including .htaccess directives which are now invalid (phpvalue, phpflag, options,....).

Well, the instructions that came with the 2.3.4 package says to change the permissions of the config.php files in two different folders to 755 and if that didn't work to try 777 and nothing works so far.

I am starting out brand new with no existing database or images. 

I can not find the 2.3.4BS Edge or Github that you refer too, where do I find it?

You don't mention when it fails. Did the install complete or is it failing? Without knowing what the error is, one can only guess.

It is a SHTML Wrapper - 500 Server Error. It starts when first starting the install and goes right to the WSOD.

I started a new thread on this matter here:  http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/410668-wsod-on-234bs-install/

Archived