• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Deleting products

cyberfruits

Hi

I have a lot of products in my shop which are no longer available and would like to mass delete them, but not the categories or subcategories, so that i can use easy populate to put current products back.

Any idea would be appreciated.

Thanks

@@cyberfruits

If you are trying to wipe them ALL OUT at one time you can do it in your database. With phpMyAdmin you can go to the products table and while their click on the Operations tab. Once it opens up, scroll down to "Empty the table (TRUNCATE)" and click on it. Then click OK when the pop up appears. It will wipe everyone of your products out that quick. You can do that for any table. Just beware that it wipes them all out and not individual ones.

Take care

Bill

I do not recommend that you modify the database directly unless you have a clear understanding of the osCommerce database structure. To remove all of your products, you need to truncate the products, products_description, and products_to_categories tables. Failure to empty all three tables will leave behind entries that could cause problems when you add or restore products.

It's better to spend the time needed to delete products using the stock osCommerce Admin interface or a properly written Addon. No matter which method you chose, make a full database backup before you start in case something goes wrong.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

@@kymation

I should of told him about the other tables. That was my bad for not doing so. Although, the average person won't mess with their database unless they understand how it works. I'd like to think you would agree that, if they do know their way around a database then, that is the quickest way to do it.

Take care

Bill

It is certainly the fastest, but it is also the most dangerous. I just wanted him to know the risks before he got into too much of a mess.

It's not like I have never messed up and had to restore a table. Not fun.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Archived