• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shopping Cart Rejects Products with Attributes

gjpinzino

I  am setting up a new catalog (Version 2.3.4) and have run into a problem with products with attributes. I have one product that is a downloadable file. I have created the new product and set the download attribute on the admin side. When I select the product I am taken to the shopping cart, but the shopping cart is empty. If I remove the attribute and try again, the product appears in the shopping cart as it should.

As near as I can determine, the call in application_top to the $cart->add_cart function in the shopping cart class is not sending the attributes – just an empty string. I think this is causing the product to fail the attributes_pass_check, so the cart refuses the update.

I tried adding a test attribute onto another product and got the same result. Where do I go from here?

There is a known problem with product attributes in that they use curly braces { } in the URL, and some security upgrade in recent server or PHP versions is doing something odd with them. Escaping the braces (replace by %nn using urlencode()) seems to work, but is ugly. There as been plenty of discussion about it, but no action.

By the way, if you're just starting out, version 2.3.4 is not the right place to start. You should be using the current version, which is 2.3.4 BS Edge. Plain 2.3.4 is getting quite old, and is basically unsupported.

Well, the 10-day saga continues. I searched the files involved in getting to the shopping cart, and the only one that seemed a likely candidate was the general functions file. I 'urlencoded' every instance of a brace ('{'} or ('}') and it had no effect. My best guess is that the attributes are not getting to the add_cart function so that the changes are meaningless, at least for now.

I am searching for where the attributes are pulled from the database, but have not yet been able to isolate that. Looks like it happens in application_top, but I am having trouble confirming that.

Now what?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long hiatus. My hard drive crashed and I am just now getting back to work. I have not gone to the responsive version. I have spent many hours customizing the interface on the standard version and I do not want to start over.

@@gjpinzino

Read on the internet about the difference in using a responsive layout and a non responsive one. You could be penalized by the search engines with a non responsive site, but if that  what you want its your choice. Your customers will also be at a disadvantage if they visit your site using a small device like a phone as it will be harder to use.

The change to the latest responsive version will not take that long and if you have not just changed too much core code then the change will be easy. You can even use the same database with a few changes.

Think of your customers and the future upgrading of your store.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Unfortunately, Harald has been insisting that 2.4 is "just around the corner" for a long time now, and sees no reason to mention, much less offer (as 2.3.5, say), the BS version on the downloads page. I see that 2.4 is now at beta 1, which sounds like it's still many months, if not years, off. Potential users are just going to keep downloading (or via hosting control panel) and installing an obsolete version (plain 2.3.4). This is a sad state of affairs. It wouldn't take that much effort to move 2.3.4 to the back catalog, and put in a link to BS Edge on the downloads page.

May be it would be good if the original post about the BS version that Gary made was pinned to the top of the forums. That may save some confusion.

I must also agree that its a shame that the community BS version was never taken up as an option, but that is down to those higher than me to make the decisions. It would also mean that oscommerce does not look like a dead in the water project.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Archived