• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO for Boot Stap

dculley

Since I have changed my site over to Boot Strap I haven't reinstalled SEO.  My question is which SEO add on should I use?  I'm running OSC 2.3.4 with BS. 

Thanks for any help.

Assuming you are referring to a meta tags addon like my Header Tags SEO, the latest BS version has some built-in code for that. There are more options and control in my addon but the built-in one may work for you. They are not compatible so you will either need to re-enter the titles and tags or convert the previous fields to the new ones or your sites rankings may be negatively affected.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I use just the standard modules supplied with oscommerce, but I added a URL rewriter because I have one on my old site and it kept the URLs the same saving a lot of redirect set ups.

Now whether the standard one is the best I have no idea.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

@@Jack_mcs

Hi Jack

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Hit a real busy spell.  Sounds like I need to upgrade my bootstrap.  I'm running it with 2.3.4 w/BS.  I do not know the version of BS.  Is there a way to find out?  Also do you know where I would go to get the upgrade?

Thanks for your help.

Dean

@@dculley When you said you had BS installed, I assumed you meant the BS version of oscommerce. Since yours is a 2.3.4 with BS installed afterwards, it won't have the inbuilt SEO I mentioned. I think that is an addon but I don't know if it is compatible with your shop. You should install either it, Header Tags SEO Reloaded, or mine, Header Tags SEO, to get better SEO results.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs

Thanks for getting back to me with your input.  My site seems to be working fine, just one hick up I'm working on.  Can you look at my site (lbgdecor.com) and tell if yours will be a good fit.  If you need to see something else let me know.  We could do messenger or emails to send you what you need.

As I recall, the basic 2.3.4 version only had code added for displaying web browser titles. There's no meta description or social icons meta tags. Nor any way to add descriptions to categories and manufacturers. All of which are important SEO items so you need to install one of the addons I mentioned.

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@@dculley that is a version of the 234 Community Responsive, running the Gablehauser Template. If you want an easy(er) life in the future you would probably do one of two things;

1. if you have kept core code changes to an absolute minimum (or zero)...
update your shop to the EDGE version (which integrates SEO out of the box).

OR

2. install HTSEO - Reloaded, which is the basis of the SEO that is in EDGE, and is the basis of the SEO that is in the upcoming OFFICIAL osCommerce.

With both of the above options, support is extremely limited.  You are on your own (as with everything else in the core codebase).

If you want to make your life more difficult (with regards to code and future updating), add in Jacks HTSEO (which has more "features" and a hell of a lot of core code changes), however, the upside of Jacks solution is that support is extremely good.

@@burt

I found the topic 2.3.4 Gold Edge 2.4.  Downloaded the  Responsive-osCommerce-master file.  Just a few questions please.

Is this the most up to date one? 

How does one stay on top updates for the Edge? 

Is there instructions on upgrading my current bootstrap to the new Edge?

This version is the one that has SEO built in?

I have lots of addons, and have the site working pretty good for me.  I don't want to lose what we have built.

Thanks

Dean

Archived