• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Working shop broke out of nothing, error 500

myristica

Hi all,

I was having a perfectly working shop on version 2.3 and a few weeks back it broke while I did not change anything in the files.

When you browse to the homepage it gets displayed, but as soon as you click anything it throws a error 500. When I then browse back to the homepage that doesn't work either (untill I delete the cache). I can't access the shop, I can't access the admin side, only the homepage.

My database is still in 4.6, could that have something to do with it? Or the fact that it is an older OScommerce version?

thanks for  looking at my post.

Evelien

Have you asked your host (or checked your hosting control panel) whether they just upgraded the PHP version? Also, check your file's "last modified" timestamps. You might not have changed anything, but a hacker might.

By the way, osC 2.3 is quite obsolete, and not compatible with latest PHP versions. You should be thinking about upgrading to osC 2.3.4BS (not the plain 2.3.4).

thanks for responding. I checked with them and they think it's my database that is too old for their upgraded system.

I know, and I am really considering to upgrade but it is so much work..

I have no idea how to transfer all my products to begin with.

I have several modules installed where there are no newer versions of.

And the worst of all is the layout. I have a highly modified layout. With bootstrap it all works differently and I fear i would need to redesign it all over again. As I am not a programmer, that's days of work for me.

Unfortunately if you want a working site, you may have to spend a bit of time and money getting your site updated. If the shop is making money, it would be worth while doing. There are several developers on here and if you post in the paid for help area you will get a wide range of prices from developers. Just be sure to pick one that posts regularly on these forums. Failing that a few days of your time is not that much to get a working site.

You can of course do nothing and leave things like they are. Updating your site to a responsive design may also help in the search engine search results.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

All sorts of things can cause 500 errors (see http://www.catskilltech.com/freeSW/SMF/faqs/#err500 for a list). Yours is on https access only (both admin and selected customer pages)? Or only on password-protected directories (all of admin)? Or some other pattern? Did you check file timestamps to see if someone has unaccountably modified some files?

If your host recently upgraded PHP and/or MySQL, it's possible that you're getting error messages saying that the MySQL library is deprecated, and that might trigger 500 errors. To cure that, you would best upgrade to osC 2.3.4BS, which uses the MySQLi library.

I check my files and nothing was modified.

I always get the error on the admin pages, but on the customer pages it has less of a pattern. You can always reach the homepage, most of the times the error appears when you try to browse to a different page from there, but sometimes you can browse some pages before the error appears. It is not dependant on which page you are trying to browse to.

What is the big difference between 2.3.4BS and the regular 2.3.4? As a non programmer, updating to 2.3.4 seems easier as the filestructure looks a lot more similar to what my current shop has.

There's no proper change log for the bootstrap version here on the forum. You can also consider one of the corporate sponsors here on the forum who do offer upgrade paths to a responsive osCommerce.

If it's an error in your .htaccess or php.ini files, the 500 error should show up consistently for all files under that .htaccess, and not at all for other files. If your host had made some change to the server (not necessarily an upgrade, maybe just tweaking a setting), such that something that was legal before is now illegal, I would expect more consistency. Anyway, try temporarily renaming (and thus disabling) each .htaccess file in turn, and see if the error goes away. Restore the file as quickly as you can. See if you can pin it down to one .htaccess (or php.ini, or maybe multiple files), and work with your host to see what's invalid in that file. For instance, if it has an Options command, that may now be banned. If you can find an offending .htaccess or php.ini (there may be several), try commenting out sections to narrow it down. Still, the error ought to be more consistent than what you're reporting, so it may be a problem in the server (overload or misconfiguration) that only your host can solve.

@@myristica

Is there a way to move my old products to the fresh install? There are a few 100 of them

Yes, there are several threads that cover this topic. Get the download here of the latest version and there are also instructions for updating your database if you scroll down the readme file.

Matt

What is the big difference between 2.3.4BS and the regular 2.3.4?

They're pretty similar internally (BS has some fixes, enhancements, and PHP upgrades that the regular doesn't). Most of the difference is in the code that presents the page to the user -- a major rewrite to use the Bootstrap responsive library, so the same code works on a phone and a desktop PC. My understanding is that this is the customer side of things, and they're still working on changing over the admin side. Needless to say, older add-ons that include page output code need to be updated to integrate smoothly into Bootstrap.

Hi everyone,

I started from a fresh install of the latest version and  of course that solved all of my problems. I was a bit hesitant because it meant a lot of work, but thanks to all your help and tips I was able to get it up and running quite fast. I still need to reinstall or find newer version of some of the modules I had installed, but that's just tweaking.

I managed to get all of my products back after exporting the product and category tables and importing them as MSQL4.0 compatible.

thanks!

Archived