• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OS Commerce Data Entry, any suggestions?

neilt

Hi

I'm sure this is an issue others have come across before, but cannot find a thread regarding it.

We need to get around 20 of our suppliers products into our OS Commerce system, along with prices, description and photos.  

We've looked at the .csv import system, but as all of the supplier catalogs are in various different formats (and some web only) it may well take far longer to arrange them into the correct format then manually entering the items in the first instance.

So, looking for any suggestions how to do this.  There's probably around 4-500 products in total I would guess.

thanks

This should have been placed in the commercial services section.

As for your needs, can you easily get each vendor into some consistent CSV format, and then write a little script to rearrange and format the data into something acceptable to osC? If a vendor keeps changing their format, there will be no way to automate handling it, but otherwise can you get it into some constant format without a lot of labor?

@@neilt Neil...Phil's suggestion of getting as many of your suppliers to provide you with a workable file is a good one....for those with websites only you could try a webscraper or perhaps hire someone to handle the task at a freelance or PeoplePerHour type site.

Good luck and when you get it sorted, please let us know what worked for you.

Dan

if you are an authorized dealer they should be able to give you xls/csv files, you should not be scraping websites.

think also how will you keep uptodate with their catalog and apply price changes.

I have used pentaho in the beginning, but nowadays I have one custom script to load up recommended prices for most of the appliances, i use reportico to create and finetune reports to find out differences

everything else I rely on easypopulate and the excel database lookup function.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Archived